Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,368 times

Advertisements

I just waited on hold with Massachusetts Unemployment, and got the word directly from someone there.
She said I am entitled to unemployment benefits during this week. And I have two options for how to claim it

One:
I can peek through the paper or something, "just in case", to fulfill my "3 job contacts" and fill out the forms about the 3 jobs I looked at.

two:
I can not look for work, and just fill the paperwork out that I didn't look for work. This would make my submission go to a human to review, they should approve my submission, but it may take extra time to get that money.

-Chris Toews

Last edited by Chris Toews; 09-11-2015 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: misspelled my own name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Toews View Post
two:
I can not look for work, and just fill the paperwork out that I didn't look for work. This would make my submission go to a human to review, they should approve my submission, but it may take extra time to get that money.
I can tell you right now that if you do two, you won't get any money.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Toews View Post
two:
Now that's a good one! Things like this should be prohibited by law. Imagine how many people were told that they can say they can not look for work and did so just to find out that caused them to be denied benefits. That's not even a stretch of the regulations, that's actually a outright lie.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
If I get a job and don't get paid for three weeks. Do I still file for my weekly check till I get my first check?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 AM

You can, so long as you correctly report your earnings and/or hours bucketed by the week on the claim from. However, that doesn't mean you'll get any UI money.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 AM

819 posts, read 572,527 times
Report wages the week you earn them; not the week you got paid for them.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 25,589 times
file until the week after you start working since you're claiming for the week before every time.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
I am currently in this exact same situation, in the state of Virginia. I have just been offered a new job, contingent on passing a background check and a drug screen, which should be no problem. However, due to the holidays and the employer’s need to start new employees on a Monday, my start date is December 10, which is a little over a month from now. I am uncertain how to continue filing for unemployment benefits in the interim. I really need the money but I don’t want to be making a false claim. If anyone has any ideas about how to get a definitive answer to this question I would sincerely appreciate it.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:26 PM

You do NOT have a job until work that first minute for money. Even then, you might have a low paying job and will want partial UI.

You keep looking for work if you want to claim UI and get a UI payment.

How much more definitive do you want it to be, an OFFER is NOT a job.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Do not get attached to any job offer. They could pull it at the last minute.

Until you step on to that employer's property and you are actually working, you are still unemployed and looking for work. So do your regular job search. Keep a record of your job search for the time leading up to the start date.

If you are VERY certain that the job is for real, you could downshift and do less in your job search, but don't go below the minimum - which is the 5 or so contacts required in your job search record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment