U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM

341 posts, read 866,256 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be in the middle of Tier 2 EUC when my original benefit year ends. I did not work at all and still unable to find employment. I was told the state of PA will test me for another benefit year, but I haven't worked at all since I filed originally on June 2009.
  • Will I be able to collect the remaining balance of Tier 2, then collect Tier 3 and 4 (assuming that they will be available if extended through the end of 2010)?
  • Or will I stop receiving benefits due to end of original benefit year claim?

Thank you so much!!!!! Dimitri from PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
Hello!

I will be in the middle of Tier 2 EUC when my original benefit year ends. I did not work at all and still unable to find employment. I was told the state of PA will test me for another benefit year, but I haven't worked at all since I filed originally on June 2009.
  • Will I be able to collect the remaining balance of Tier 2, then collect Tier 3 and 4 (assuming that they will be available if extended through the end of 2010)?
  • Or will I stop receiving benefits due to end of original benefit year claim?

Thank you so much!!!!! Dimitri from PA
Additional info:

I understand that after they will test me for the new claim, it will be denied as I haven't worked.

1. Do I need to call them to be tested for the new claim? Is it done online? Or would it be automatic?

2. Then I would be put back on my original claim with the same benefit rate?

3. Would I be able to continue tier 2 and then tiers 3, 4 and EB (if they made available by Congress)?

Thank you so much!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM

129 posts, read 370,179 times
O.K., let's look at all these questions and give you some answers here:

1. Do I need to call them to be tested for the new claim? Is it done online? Or would it be automatic? -- It is best if you do call them. When your Benefit Year ends, PA unemployment will deactivate your claim. What that means is when you go to file either by phone or online, you will get a message saying "your claim is inactive at this time, please call this phone number". What you will then need to do is call PA unemployment and talk to someone there and let them know your Benefit Year has ended, and that you wish to refile your claim. If you haven't worked during your benefit year and made enough money required by PA unemployment laws, you won't be eligible for another 26-week state unemployment claim.

2. Then I would be put back on my original claim with the same benefit rate? --Once you call PA unemployment and get your claim activated again, and you let them know you aren't eligible for another state unemployment claim, they will renew your claim in order for you to continue collecting the federal EUC and EB benefits. If you are in the middle of a EUC tier, once your claim is activated again, you will continue on the EUC benefits at whatever tier you are on, at the same weekly benefit rate you had previously.

3. Would I be able to continue tier 2 and then tiers 3, 4 and EB (if they made available by Congress)? --Yes, as long as Congress authorizes further funding for the EUC program, has the unemployment deadlines extended, and you expire your current tier of benefits, you will be allowed to move onto another tier of EUC benefits. As for Extended Benefits, or EB, that is controlled by the state of PA. Currently, we are in an EB period. We will probably be there for awhile as PA's unemployment rate is 8.9%. I don't see that falling anytime soon. It's important that you keep an eye on when each of your benefit tiers end and know when the deadlines are for the EUC tiers. Currently, Congress just recently extended the EUC unemployment deadlines to April 5th. If you finish your current tier before April 5th, you will be allowed to move onto another tier.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitstu View Post
O.K., let's look at all these questions and give you some answers here:

1. Do I need to call them to be tested for the new claim? Is it done online? Or would it be automatic? -- It is best if you do call them. When your Benefit Year ends, PA unemployment will deactivate your claim. What that means is when you go to file either by phone or online, you will get a message saying "your claim is inactive at this time, please call this phone number". What you will then need to do is call PA unemployment and talk to someone there and let them know your Benefit Year has ended, and that you wish to refile your claim. If you haven't worked during your benefit year and made enough money required by PA unemployment laws, you won't be eligible for another 26-week state unemployment claim.

2. Then I would be put back on my original claim with the same benefit rate? --Once you call PA unemployment and get your claim activated again, and you let them know you aren't eligible for another state unemployment claim, they will renew your claim in order for you to continue collecting the federal EUC and EB benefits. If you are in the middle of a EUC tier, once your claim is activated again, you will continue on the EUC benefits at whatever tier you are on, at the same weekly benefit rate you had previously.

3. Would I be able to continue tier 2 and then tiers 3, 4 and EB (if they made available by Congress)? --Yes, as long as Congress authorizes further funding for the EUC program, has the unemployment deadlines extended, and you expire your current tier of benefits, you will be allowed to move onto another tier of EUC benefits. As for Extended Benefits, or EB, that is controlled by the state of PA. Currently, we are in an EB period. We will probably be there for awhile as PA's unemployment rate is 8.9%. I don't see that falling anytime soon. It's important that you keep an eye on when each of your benefit tiers end and know when the deadlines are for the EUC tiers. Currently, Congress just recently extended the EUC unemployment deadlines to April 5th. If you finish your current tier before April 5th, you will be allowed to move onto another tier.

Hi! Thank yo so much for your reply!!!!Just two last questions:

1. How many Tiers are there currently in PA?

2. When they test me for the new claim mad find me ineligeble due to remaining unemployed and no income for the past year, do they let me continue with extensions for another year?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Hi! Thank yo so much for your reply!!!!Just two last questions:

1. How many Tiers are there currently in PA?

2. When they test me for the new claim mad find me ineligeble due to remaining unemployed and no income for the past year, do they let me continue with extensions for another year?
There are 4 tiers of federal EUC benefits currently available. Tier 1 (20 weeks), Tier 2 (14 weeks), Tier 3 (13 weeks) and Tier 4 (6 weeks).

When you call unemployment, and they determine you aren't eligible for another 26-week state claim, they will let you continue with whatever EUC tiers or EB extensions that you are currently on. Your new claim will strictly be the federal EUC tiers and EB, as long as you qualify for them. As I said in my earlier post, pay attention to what tier of benefits you are on, when they expire, and also know if/when Congress extends unemployment deadlines for you to continue being eligible for any future EUC tiers.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 AM

So here is another question that I have (promise, it's a last one):

My initial claim was filed on 6/14/2009 and they analyzed Jan 08 - Dec 08 as my base year. Now when my benefit year expires on 6/14/2010, they will test me for the new claim. Although, I haven't worked at all since the beginning of my initial claim (6/14/09), they will use Jan 09 - Dec 09 as a base year; but I worked from Jan 09 - June 09. Would they ignore these 6 months since they were for the same employer that I filed against on my initial UC claim? Would they let me continue extensions at the same rate as my initial claim or they will use those 6 months to set up new 26 week claim? This is very confusing; yet, so important to me and I appreciate your help!

Please let me know if I didn't make my question clear enough...

Thank you!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,177,449 times
Quote:

My initial claim was filed on 6/14/2009 and they analyzed Jan 08 - Dec 08 as my base year. Now when my benefit year expires on 6/14/2010, they will test me for the new claim. Although, I haven't worked at all since the beginning of my initial claim (6/14/09), they will use Jan 09 - Dec 09 as a base year; but I worked from Jan 09 - June 09. Would they ignore these 6 months since they were for the same employer that I filed against on my initial UC claim? Would they let me continue extensions at the same rate as my initial claim or they will use those 6 months to set up new 26 week claim? This is very confusing; yet, so important to me and I appreciate your help!

Thank you!
I believe they will only ask about employment from 6/2009 to 6/2010 in order to test whether you qualify for a new claim.

I am in Tier IV now but when I called after my BYE date (during Tier II), I hadn't had any employment in the first benefit year either and my WBR did not change. I did work the six months before my lay-off as well.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Thank you!
PA unemployment will review your new unemployment claim from Jan-Dec. 2009. This time around, they will see the income you received up until you were laid off. When you applied for unemployment the first time, PA didn't look at the quarter in which you got laid off. This time around they will see your wages earned from your last job up until you were laid off. They won't ignore these wages. However, in order to get a new 26-week state unemployment claim, besides being qualified from the original claim, PA requires three more things to qualify: 1)You must have worked during your previous benefit year, 2) During that time, you must have made at least 6x the weekly benefit rate, and 3) Be laid off or let go from that job through no fault of your own. You must meet all three of these extra requirements. If you don't you will not be able to collect a new 26-week state unemployment claim, and you will be placed back onto the EUC program, whichever tier you are on at that time, with the same weekly benefit rate.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitstu View Post
PA unemployment will review your new unemployment claim from Jan-Dec. 2009. This time around, they will see the income you received up until you were laid off. When you applied for unemployment the first time, PA didn't look at the quarter in which you got laid off. This time around they will see your wages earned from your last job up until you were laid off. They won't ignore these wages. However, in order to get a new 26-week state unemployment claim, besides being qualified from the original claim, PA requires three more things to qualify: 1)You must have worked during your previous benefit year, 2) During that time, you must have made at least 6x the weekly benefit rate, and 3) Be laid off or let go from that job through no fault of your own. You must meet all three of these extra requirements. If you don't you will not be able to collect a new 26-week state unemployment claim, and you will be placed back onto the EUC program, whichever tier you are on at that time, with the same weekly benefit rate.

So, they will most likely decline it and put me back on EUC, because I do not meet req. for working during the previous benefit year? Thank you!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I believe they will only ask about employment from 6/2009 to 6/2010 in order to test whether you qualify for a new claim.

I am in Tier IV now but when I called after my BYE date (during Tier II), I hadn't had any employment in the first benefit year either and my WBR did not change. I did work the six months before my lay-off as well.

Thank you! Are you also from PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment