Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

OK question, my spouse has MS. He has had it 20 years. He was not home for 8 months which forced me to gain employment. He has been home 2 weeks and due to headaches related to his monthly infusion, ambulatory issues/ falls, and weakness I have not been able to be at work. I attempted to go and was called out. I see that I may qualify for voluntary quit #402? Should I go ahead and quit for everyone or wait to get inevitably fired? I am worried sick because we are struggling but my husband's safety is first for me...help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 PM

13,066 posts, read 20,732,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAngel71 View Post
OK question, my spouse has MS. He has had it 20 years. He was not home for 8 months which forced me to gain employment. He has been home 2 weeks and due to headaches related to his monthly infusion, ambulatory issues/ falls, and weakness I have not been able to be at work. I attempted to go and was called out. I see that I may qualify for voluntary quit #402? Should I go ahead and quit for everyone or wait to get inevitably fired? I am worried sick because we are struggling but my husband's safety is first for me...help
Have you exhausted all company provided leave options or other provided benefits such as FMLA? Have you discussed this with your employer to determine what alternatives may be available to you such as working from home?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:21 PM

I did not qualify for FMLA for a year. I am a CNA so working at home not an option
Also, with everything going on our blazers master cylinder went out so I am also forced to depend on everyone to get anywhere when it rains....

Old 09-08-2015, 01:24 PM

I even tried shift change. With appointments, relapses, and on and on.... I am falling apart. I can do one or the other. Both is taking a toll

Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAngel71 View Post
OK question, my spouse has MS. He has had it 20 years. He was not home for 8 months which forced me to gain employment. He has been home 2 weeks and due to headaches related to his monthly infusion, ambulatory issues/ falls, and weakness I have not been able to be at work. I attempted to go and was called out. I see that I may qualify for voluntary quit #402? Should I go ahead and quit for everyone or wait to get inevitably fired?
If you're talking about this:
Quote:
Leaving work due to personal reasons - To be eligible, the claimant must show that he/she quit due to personal circumstances that left him/her no reasonable alternative. The claimant must show that, prior to quitting, he/she made a reasonable attempt to maintain the employer-employee relationship. The claimant must also be able and available for suitable work.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pamphlets/10339/ucp-41__unemployment_compensation_eligibility_issues/552113
PA can be difficult in a firing where absenteeism is involved. So, yes, in your case it may be better to quit - BUT FIRST you must notify your employer of your situation and make a reasonable attempt to maintain the relationship - which means asking for different hours and/or special consideration for these absences. Keep copies of your efforts.

However, even if PA grants the claim (more likely you'll need to appeal), PA will suspend payment of benefits until you can provide assurance that you have made other arrangements for hubby's care and are now able to searching for and accept a position if offered.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM

We are in the process now and I do have a paper trail. Thank you for your input. Not sure my employer would deny it but who knows...guess its a matter of prayer

Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
I work for a huge company. I am close to being fired for absenteeism, due to FOUR close family member deaths, and one good friend/next door neighbor death. Five deaths in less than a year. My MOM, Mother in Law, sister in law, cousin and neighbor. Three of them I was directly taking care of them. I did take off unauthorized days while my Mom was in Hospice care at home. She has lived with me for 25 years, and I certainly wasn't going to NOT take care of her as she was dying. She was 95 yrs old. They were kept appraised continuously regarding my Mom's illness and Funeral. I want out of here. What would be better....quit or get fired? My nerves are shot. Also they took away Commission from us earlier in the year and I lost a lot of money per month. I left SSD for this job, because of the whole "hourly plus commission" thing. Plus the fact that I was going to lose my house. I had 7 people living in my house, four generations that I had to take care of.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:35 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,928,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothers6 View Post
What would be better....quit or get fired?
Fired. Quitting because you think you'll be fired is invariably disqualifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothers6 View Post
Also they took away Commission from us earlier in the year and I lost a lot of money per month.
If this happened in the past week, it can make for a good cause quit. While your employer has the God-given right to set your pay, you don't have to accept the change if it's a sufficient enough reduction. That's where "good cause connected with the work" comes into play. However, if you've worked at the new lower pay, that's treated as acceptance of the deal, and you lose your good cause because then it's not quitting because of the new lower pay, but rather, you changed your mind about the deal that you made.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 626 times
I was fired recently for attendance but in my employee handbook it says I would be warned on my 3 and 4 point and they never warned me plus I was written up saying I had 6 points and could be terminated but my 3rd shift supervisor told me not worry about it cuz I was a good worker and was good a my position... I only missed 1 day after my first write up cuz I was getting sick at work and my supervisor sent me home.. When I came in the next day he told me not to worry about points that he GUARANTEE me that I wouldn't lose my job and also asked me if I wanted a better position at work for more a hour so I have been training on that for 3 to 4 weeks.. Well just last Thurs I got called into HR and was fired for attendance for the day I was sent home for about a month ago. My supervisor wasn't there that day so I couldn't question him about his guarantee and they fired about 10 more people.. Do you know if Ican cocollect unemployment after the way they fired me and the way they waited almost a month to fire me??

Old 01-15-2017, 03:03 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,928,663 times
When fired, you can more often than not collect unemployment even if you did something wrong, if you just apply correctly for UI.

When you apply, just say, "fired," don't take the call. Do NOT say one bad thing about yourself. Don't try to explain anything. Let your employer do their job at getting you denied, and if they are initially successful, deal with it on appeal AFTER the employer has laid out their cards.

Come back to get assistance on appealing before you go and do it on your own.

Being sent home because you looked sick with permission, is NOT misconduct when you get fired for it, but now is not the time for you to be spilling your guts to the UI people. For all you know, with 10 people getting fired, that your employer doesn't care and won't make an issue out of your UI claim, but if you start yapping, you might be the very cause of your denial even if you employer did nothing, and you don't want to be fighting your own words or assuming a burden of proof that you could have avoided if you'd just shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment