U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM

62 posts, read 94,847 times

Advertisements

My cousin was fired from work last thursday. The previous week, she was released from the dr following a back injury at work. since she was not able to be put on the schedule until the new one came out, she asked if there were any shifts that needed covered. she was able to cover all of the shifts but one. when she showed up for her 3rd day back to work, they pulled her into the office and told her she was being terminated due to receiving 12 points for absences. she had 6 from january when she was out due to having caught the flu ( she works in a medical setting and they are very strict about coming to work) and they told her she recieved 6 points for missing the previous saturday- the day they needed covered but she couldnt due to not having enough notice to arrange child care. she was not on the schedule, and they told her it would be no problem, yet they gave her the points anyways. she strongly believes its unfair termination as she has been told by multiple sources that they only use the point system when they want to let some one go, and there are more people with even more points than she had (12) who are not even warned. she was given no warning that if she did not come to work that day that she would lose her job. she went and filed for unemployment the day she was fired, and when she checked her claim today, it told her that it was suspended. Does that mean she will not receive it? She is in Indiana. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM

3,278 posts, read 3,437,594 times
Does your state have a waiting week?

Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM

189 posts, read 441,996 times
id say the company is fighting it, not much she can do if she violated company attendance policy there is no way around it

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM

62 posts, read 94,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
id say the company is fighting it, not much she can do if she violated company attendance policy there is no way around it

thats what i thought. shes upset she got fired because she wasnt even on the schedule, wasnt told if she didnt come in she would get points, and have had multiple sources tell her points dont matter unless they need/want them too. she says a head nurse told her that she is late atleast twice a week and never gets points and another has over 18 points and hasnt even been warned.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 35,224 times
If the company fights it this doesnt mean she wont get her benefits. I was fired from my job as a property manager because the regional manager didnt want us to talk to employees after work. He put down as my reason for termination " abusing the email and computer terms" because he said I was communicating with my previous assistant who had moved to a different property. He fought my unemployment but I won Don't give up, I had to wait a month to receive my benefits but it was sooooo worth hearing him be cross examined on our phone interview by the ESC rep.!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 PM

189 posts, read 441,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
thats what i thought. shes upset she got fired because she wasnt even on the schedule, wasnt told if she didnt come in she would get points, and have had multiple sources tell her points dont matter unless they need/want them too. she says a head nurse told her that she is late atleast twice a week and never gets points and another has over 18 points and hasnt even been warned.
thats how most companies work. i was a electrical foreman before i was laid off. we were told to keep records of everyone and keep a list on hand of at least 10 guys we could fire on the spot if needed.

they dont have to fire you if you violate company policy but they reserve the right to do so if they wish. she can fight it, a lot of companies automatically fight unemployment claims. she better be ready for a long wait and have some good proof

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 8,369 times
Yup, same way at my last workplace. I know people with way more pts that still ahve their jobs and they talk about it openly like its nothing. I caught the flu and came in with a Dr. excuse and was called into the office to be told i was short 1/2 a pt. Apparently the excuse didnt cover what i thought it covered so i was short 1/2 pt and was terminated.

Filed for unemployment and had to wait forever, but I kept calling in. Finally I, after a month or two of hearing "You have been given credit but no checks have been issued" called, and heard that my checks had be mailed out... wonderful feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment