U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM

101 posts, read 96,063 times
Default New claim for unemployment at benefit year end in TN?

I wonder if anyone could help us answer a few questions?

My husband has been out of work for a year today.
Today we got a letter from Unemployment that his benefit year has ended and he has to call a certain number in Nashville to file a new claim.

He was right in the middle of getting Tier 2 benefits and still had a balance on it. When he called the number there was a recording that said something to the effect that Congress has not extended benefits.
He took it to mean "don't bother filing a new claim because it hasn't been passed" --s o he didn't talk to anybody about it.

But I am wondering, does that apply to us since he was in the middle of collecting tier 2?
Should we file a new claim?
Will they deny it since he has not worked, and continue him on the old claim on Tier 2?
Or do we continue to certify on the same day until Congress reconvenes and the senate passes the extension?
If we do have to file a new claim, can we do it online? Or do we actually have to speak to a person to deny the new claim and get him back on Tier 2 of the old claim?

Help!

~ Confused in Tennessee
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,363,621 times
Your husband needs to call and file for a new claim. If he hasn't worked during his benefit year that claim will be denied and they will re-open his original claim and he will continue on the tier he is currently in.

This doesn't have anything to do with the extensions deadline, this is because his benefit year ended.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM

101 posts, read 96,063 times
Thank you!

Can he do this new claim over the internet, or does he actually have to call? We can't get any answers on this because the phone lines all have a recording and they aren't taking anymore calls because of the high call volume....
We get the same recording all day at any time of the day...ARgggh!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,716,193 times
You can try doing it online.
Welcome - Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
If that doesn't work, you'll need to go into the office. I've never had any luck getting information from any TN state office over the phone. Fortunately, most services can be accessed through the internet.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,202 times
Unemployment benefit year expired dropped from EUC Tier 2 Wrong?
I have similar problem here is my experience in New Mexico today need same answers as you I think.

My benefit year ended April 4 while in the 5th week of EUC Tier 2 with money remaining.
I went to certify online as usual on a Sunday yesterday and was booted from system. Our website is confusing so I applied for "Extended Benefits" only place to click filling out form thinking that would reactivate "Existing Tier 2 claim". Screen came back while on line as approved for 20 additonal weeks but did not specify what type EUC EB etc? I had no idea at all.
After three hour hold on phone today I got someone.

I told them I simply had wanted "inactive status reactivated" to have her certify me manually for yesterday (Sunday) because I was due a deposit today Monday and wished to simply go forward with EUC Tier 2 balance I still have.

Here is what she told me. When your year expired and you go to a "zero balance" and because you are applying after April 7 there is now no federal EUC available. She then related they had switched me to State EB 20 weeks with a week wait in between. If I was already approved before that April 7 date and I was(Feb28) and currently on Tier 2 with funds in place should not I have continued in Tier 2 status and rolled over to EB "after",the EUC Tiers play out? Logical correct? Other post say this is so.Am I correct? That is how I understood to your (logical) postings.

I see no reason to go over to EB "now" just because computer put it in and can be manually corrected when I could save it for later and think I should still be on Tier 2 balance and she should have simply,reactivated and certified me for Sunday so I would get my deposit in next 24-36 hours.

These folks do not seem to be sharp. She saw I applied online trying to reactivate EUC and it seems they want me on EB. Again her reason was she could not place me on EUC after April 7
( I disagree) as it does not relate and I was already on Tier 2 before, just needing reactivation after benefit year date came around! It seems she did "not hear me" when asking to rectify by reactivation continuation of Tier 2. It is like she looked at screen and just made something up. She said I would "go back to EUC" if Feds extend later and that is NOT LOGICAL TO ME.... Should I call back and try someone new???? Am I entiltled to remain on previously approved Tier 2 with plenty of funds still in it or is her "Zero" you out likely made up to get me off the line and go home? Your ideas appreciated. Amyone please J.R.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,363,621 times
It sounds like you need to contact your UE agency again as even if your benefit year ends - the only thing they needed to do was do an "open new claim" which would be denied if you haven't worked in your first benefit year and then re-open your original claim. You are entitled to finish out whichever Tier you were currently on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment