Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM

32 posts, read 87,436 times

Advertisements

I did a search on here and didn't see this article being linked, but I thought it could contribute to a good discussion. It's related to the study that was posted recently about an unemployed sample population of 6769 people in Germany and their results. Link - Personality Change Following Unemployment (Journal of Applied Psychology, Feb 2015).

June 9, 2014
In U.S., Depression Rates Higher for Long-Term Unemployed

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The longer that Americans are unemployed, the more likely they are to report signs of poor psychological well-being. About one in five Americans who have been unemployed for a year or more say they currently have or are being treated for depression -- almost double the rate among those who have been unemployed for five weeks or less.
The idea that people are less likely to experience positive emotions the longer they are unemployed may come as no surprise -- but that drop may be exacerbated by a growing hesitation to seek social support. A 2011 study of the long-term unemployed published by the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University found that half of participants experienced shame and embarrassment that led them to isolate themselves from friends and associates. Among the long-term unemployed, 31.1% reported spending two hours or less with family or friends the previous day, versus 21.5% among short-term unemployed adults.

Basically, in tl;dr format, both allude to what seems to be plausible. People who become unemployed for longer duration of time become less confident and more likely to be depressed, self-esteem issues and what not. If companies are purposely being selective and not factoring these prospective employees into their workplace, they're just contributing to a bigger problem that is probably going to affect our nation, economy, or world as a whole. Sort of akin to the concept of recycling, it should be done with good intentions. If it's an ideal candidate, why not consider it instead of being selective or throwing them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
It can be a vicious cycle. People with less self-confidence and a propensity for being down are less likely to be hired in the first place because they are less able to perform in the interview. The constant rejection fuels feelings of inadequacy, further eroding positivity and confidence.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Good study - thanks for linking to it.

People my age grew up in households where their male family members worked at the same company long-term, so the shame alone in being let go, regardless of the reason, is immense. Younger men and women will hopefully know it's part of the climate now, and if you work long enough, you'll likely have at least one period where you're unemployed.

This is the reason it's critical to stay positive, regularly meet with others who are unemployed, continue to take care with hygiene and the way you're dressing, don't hang around negative people, keep a consistent schedule each day, break a sweat every day by doing something physical, etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:47 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
I was only unemployed for about 4/5 months, and that took a terrible toll on my psyche. I can only imagine what those who are long term unemployed are going through. If there was a way to change the "vicious cycle", as StPaulGal said, I would. Unfortunately barely anyone wants to take a chance on those who have longer term unemployed, and it's really a shame.

Not only that, but the whole process to get a job can be mentally and physically draining and demanding, and if you mix that in with the other effects of being longer termed unemployed... it's a deadly cocktail. I feel true sorrow and empathy for those who have to live that struggle.

And I sincerely dislike people who do not get the struggle and chalk it up to little more than "they weren't looking hard enough" or "I found a job, why can't they?" Ugh.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I was unemployed for 3 years. I came to feel that I was ''outside of'' a normal life that others had, on every single level. It was depressing for sure.

I became employed part-time eventually with 6 years having gone by since I was full-time employed with any benefits.

I realized that life had changed for me permanently and would never be the same because the realities of employment for a 59 year old woman had changed.

Just turned 60 and am now doing contract work, lower salary, no benefits, but I am content to just be doing something I like with a roof over my head.

I no longer expect more, so I no longer feel all the stages of bereavement: denial, anger,bargaining, depression...I am now at acceptance that I lost everything but I have survived in spite of that.

After I wallowed in self-pity I got busy living again. It was not easy.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Great read, and I have seen these effects in my peers who were not able to get positions for a long time after graduation. As many have said, it's a vicious cycle, the only way to combat it is to remain positive.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
When you are unemployed you have to do things to your spirits up because it's very easy to feel depressed. For example when I was unemployed I would always do two things to maintain a positive mindset.

1."Always get the ringer off and check voicemail every hour"

And that's because if you know it's on and not ringing you can feel unwanted

2. "Apply to jobs in areas I don't want to work in just to see if my resume is appealing enough to be called for a interview"

I did this because if you get a call from an employer it makes you feel wanted again regardless if it's a job you don't want. Just gives you more confidence when applying to jobs you do want

Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
It's not the unemployment that's causing the depression. What causes depression is when one applies and interviews for a lot of jobs and they had no luck.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
I've been unemployed for about 6 months now. I was laid off a job that I was at for nearly 4 years and I really liked. Just out of the blue they laid me off, due to lack of work. I'm used to living very frugal, have a lot of savings and kinda like having free time (for a while).

I'm not depressed, but I've mostly gotten a poor attitude about work in general. I have an introverted personality, and am prone to detachment. When I'm working again I can hardly imagine getting any more than slightly engaged in any job. I just want to show up, do my tasks, and then go home. I can get let go from a job at any moment, so no use getting the least bit attached to it.

I've also taken great joy in cutting my spending to the bone. No shopping on Main St or at the Mall. I only buy food at the grocery store and household necessities. If I want any other stuff I have to buy it at a yard sale for $1. Ultra frugal and minimalist are the way to go. If Big Retail wants me to buy their crap they can figure out a way to put extra money in my pocket.

I am on good terms with my former employer. They said they would like to hire me back if things pick up.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
True about living frugally. After doing that for the 3 years of unemployment I've pretty much maintained that lifestyle. That is why I can live contentedly now on so little income. I've learned what I need to be happy and have no desire to live a life focused on consumerism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment