U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,551,766 times
Default Social Security and unemployment???

I am a senior drawing social security and working full time. My employer may shut down during the off season this year. Being on social security would I be able to draw unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 AM

478 posts, read 1,008,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I am a senior drawing social security and working full time. My employer may shut down during the off season this year. Being on social security would I be able to draw unemployment?
SS is not counted for unemployment in my state, so I guess you can..read up on your states DOL site will tell you there.

Just asking how can you receive SS if working full time? Unless your salary is very low (there's a limit how much you can earn to receive SS also).

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,551,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
SS is not counted for unemployment in my state, so I guess you can..read up on your states DOL site will tell you there.

Just asking how can you receive SS if working full time? Unless your salary is very low (there's a limit how much you can earn to receive SS also).
Once you reach the age where you can draw full social security there is no limit on what you can earn. From 62 to that point there is a limit. I past that point a few years ago.
Early in my 2nd marriage I had a surprise which keeps me young . He will graduate from high school in 2 years.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM

2,073 posts, read 5,469,626 times
In my state you can collect UI and SS. SS is not counted in UI.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 PM

15 posts, read 36,375 times
Does social security count unemployment benefits as "earnings"?

Here's what I mean: some retired people work on-call. (for example substitute and intermittent workers). If they aren't called to work but are ready, willing, and able to work they qualify for unemployment benefits and can get a check. But will Social Security start reducing the social security check if the amount the person earned over a year and the amount they got in unemployment over that same year was more than the $14,000 (or whatever) threshold social security put in place? Are unemployment benefits counted as "earnings"?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM

13,849 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Does social security count unemployment benefits as "earnings"?

Here's what I mean: some retired people work on-call. (for example substitute and intermittent workers). If they aren't called to work but are ready, willing, and able to work they qualify for unemployment benefits and can get a check. But will Social Security start reducing the social security check if the amount the person earned over a year and the amount they got in unemployment over that same year was more than the $14,000 (or whatever) threshold social security put in place? Are unemployment benefits counted as "earnings"?
Unemployment benefits are NOT considered earnings for Social Security purposes.

Wages/Earnings over the threshhold ($14,160) do affect your Social Security if you are not of full retirement age.

If you are full retirement age, there is no limitation to the amount you can earn.

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/whileworking.htm

Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM

15 posts, read 36,375 times
Default Unemployment treated as retirement "earnings"? No.

Thank you Ariadne22! I did research my question a little before posting it here but found no answer. Everything seemed to be about SS affecting UI, not vice versa. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM

3,229 posts, read 3,264,106 times
But doesn't SS count towards UI? UI considers any income and takes it out of the check.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 AM

13,849 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
But doesn't SS count towards UI? UI considers any income and takes it out of the check.
No. All but three states allow people to collect both Unemployment Compensation and Social Security. This from the Wisconsin website;
Quote:
Can I receive weekly Unemployment benefits and also receive monthly Social Security Retirement cash benefits at the same time?

Yes. Wisconsin Unemployment benefits are not affected by also receiving Social Security Retirement benefits. Social Security Retirement cash benefits are also unaffected by receiving WI Unemployment benefits.
Unemployment Insurance Frequently Asked Questions About Filing for Benefits and Inquiries

Last I checked a few months back, there were only three states - Illinois, Louisiana, Utah - that had not passed legislation allowing both Social Security and unemployment benefits to be paid and I think Illinois is now trying to change their law on this.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-29-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 AM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
In my state you can collect UI and SS. SS is not counted in UI.
Is is true that Social Security is not counted as "earnings" against unemployment payments -- and will not reduce your UI payments.

However, as another poster noted, if you are collecting Social Security before your "normal retirement age." Any UI benefits you receive will be treated as any other additional earnings. If the total of those additional earnings exceeds the threshhold set by Social Security ($14,160), they will used to offset your Social Security benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment