U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 46,596 times

Advertisements

I had something similar yesterday. Except there were about 40 people in the room. Most had just started unemployment- I am almost done with Tier 2. It was a waste of time. Also had to sign up for a workshop- ended up choosing an interview one. Other lovely choices were how to use email and how to fill out an application. Yeah- right!

What tier are you on unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM

55 posts, read 343,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
... if I get called again in around 2 months I'll be seriously considering whether I'm being singled out due to being an LPR.
What is an LPR?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 46,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
What is an LPR?
I think it means you are now a resident of the country, but not an actual citizen. I see she has Australia/Spokane on her location.
That's my guess.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM

87 posts, read 152,560 times
Quote:
I have a dtabase with the same thing, but they weren't interested in seeing anything but the job search log for the week under review.
So they didn't want any proof other than the job log and that's it?

Do you have to file your job logs online? Mail them in? Keep them for if/when they call you in?

Also, did they randomly select a week or was it the most current week they reviewed?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,966,626 times
Right, legal permanent resident, not yet a citizen because since I became eligible I haven't been able to afford the application fee (yet - but I'm working on it).

I'm on Tier 2, just over a year unemployed.

We don't email our logs or enter job contacts online in WA (unless you're in another state claiming from WA, then you enter them online each week), and last time I took a whole month's worth of job search logs, plus my file of emails, responses (when I had any) etc and all they wanted to see was for the one week that was being audited.

The audit week this time is w/e July 10, but they also ask you for a job contact you've made THIS week (last time I didn't know about that but I was luckily able to pull one up on their website I'd applied for).

Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM

55 posts, read 343,667 times
legal permanent resident - I should have known that as I was one of those too. Just never saw it abbreviated like that. I'd be curious know if that was why they targeted you.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 AM

5,348 posts, read 9,420,358 times
Quote:
tomorrow - sigh, they sure give you a lot of notice LOL

Of course the week of my job search log they've decided to audit has to be one of the weaker ones. I have weeks where I've applied for at least a dozen or more jobs, but the week they chose I was barely able to find the 3 required for my log that I could apply for.

The letter says to come "prepared for a job interview/referral" - well, if THEY can find me something decent to apply for I'm all for it. I even had my resume on their worksource jobsite and all I ever got was offers to sell insurance (commission only of course).

Just wondering if they'll send me for a referral for minmum wage. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll offer to give me re-training or something.

Not like I'm not stressed enough already. It's just very worrying that some employment dept agent can be having a bad hair day tomorrow and decide I'm not "doing enough" to find new employment.

Stop worrying its bs. Basically you dress nice like for an interview, they go over your resume and say they have nothing , ask if you signed up in the database. Tell you that you can search their database from home, blah blah blah, your out the door. Nothing, bs, easy, stop worrying!!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM

87 posts, read 152,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Stop worrying its bs. Basically you dress nice like for an interview, they go over your resume and say they have nothing , ask if you signed up in the database. Tell you that you can search their database from home, blah blah blah, your out the door. Nothing, bs, easy, stop worrying!!
His original post is several months old. He's been there, done that.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post

Which is exactly the point - as Cochran said - been there done that a couple of months ago, NOW they want me to do it again, and it's feeling like I'm being selected specifically, not randomly.........

Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Update - attended the "interview" yesterday - exact same thing as I did at the last one (see OP) back at the end of May. As far as being random not so sure - was talking to a guy outside before the doors opened and he said he's been called in SIX times......and wonders about the "randomness or maybe it's flagged because he's black" - can't really blame him for thinking that way.

On the PLUS side - I DID actually get a referral for a decent position this time - part time but pt is better than zip. Went over for an interview this afternoon and looks promising except the owner isn't sure yet whether he wants one person (FT) or two PT. So had do some fancy footwork to look eager to do PT (20 hours max) while still being HAPPY to take FT (38-40) if that was the way they wanted to go LOL

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

On the VERY plus side - the gal that's leaving is in her 80s so at least age won't be a factor with this one = )

Cross your fingers for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment