U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,093,399 times

Advertisements

This guy poses a provocative question:
If you are working, a paid holiday is like a bonus for your work. But if you are unemployed, should taxpayers be subsidizing extended benefits which include national holidays? If you think they should, what is a holiday if you are already not working?

Do the Unemployed Get Paid for National Holidays? | Before It's News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM

478 posts, read 1,041,681 times
The unemployed get unemployment insurance for 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year (whatever they are entitle too)..if a holiday happens to be in any week they are still paid unemployment insurance..they get it too. Most holidays these days not all,but some do fall on a weekend so makes no difference really..a employed person gets a day off plus paid though on most holidays (or they are paid for six days and worked five).

You have to understand what insurance means..same as a vehicle/home/life insurance..you pay for it all the time..but maybe never have to make a claim!

Before I got laid-off I got paid 17 Holidays..doubt most could'nt even name all of those 17 Holidays.

Back in 1972 I worked for the post office ( was called that back then..Pony Express) they wanted volunteers to work x-mas ( was a 3 thousand employee sectional center 24/7..not a small post office)..since I was young and not married I volunteered to work X-mas..it was triple time in pay for that one day.

Last edited by carlo2009; 05-28-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 10,662,973 times
I assume this is coming up because of the holiday on Monday so let me add that many companies where I live work Memorial Day and they don't get holiday pay for it either!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM

24,046 posts, read 32,480,936 times
They are already getting unemployment insurance, why should they get "paid?" Makes no sense.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They are already getting unemployment insurance, why should they get "paid?" Makes no sense.
He's not referring to additional payment for a holiday.

If you read the linked article, the point is that unemployment benefits are meant to replace a portion of one's lost salary. So should the unemployed receive benefits for only 4 days -- instead of 5 days -- of a week in which a national holiday falls.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM

600 posts, read 706,339 times
Who cares?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
Who cares?
On the one hand, it's just a topic for discussion. On the other hand, it's a good example of how bureaucrats looking to cut back on unemployment benefits generally think -- "Why pay them unemployment for holidays?"

Old 05-28-2010, 04:06 PM

478 posts, read 1,041,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
On the one hand, it's just a topic for discussion. On the other hand, it's a good example of how bureaucrats looking to cut back on unemployment benefits generally think -- "Why pay them unemployment for holidays?"

Point is if these bureaucrats did their jobs in past..we wouldn't be in this spot! So now they have to pay us..even if unemployed! Most states deleted their unemployment funds ( to lower the taxes over years for their home state) not realizing a time like this would come again since 1933.

Not saying your comment is wrong..just my opinion.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Point is if these bureaucrats did their jobs in past..we wouldn't be in this spot! So now they have to pay us..even if unemployed! Most states deleted their unemployment funds ( to lower the taxes over years for their home state) not realizing a time like this would come again since 1933.

Not saying your comment is wrong..just my opinion.
On the contrary -- I agree with you.

My point was just that after diverting the money from their unemployment insurance funds in better times, bureaucrats are now looking for any way to cut back -- and often times the first place they look is at the benefits themselves.

Very few are focused on creating jobs to reduce unemployment, or even on retrieving UI funds from the sources to which they were wrongly diverted.

So this guy's question/statements just sounded to me like those of someone running for office who wants to pander to voters opposed to extended UI benefits!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,112,403 times
Well you could look at it two ways:

1) Unemployment benefits are essentially pay. Pay to look for work. However it is a salary, not wages. The weekly benefits are the same no matter if you applied for ten jobs or fifty in a given week. And that is because as a salary, the pay is an annual dispersement, which is merely distributed on a weekly basis in an equal amount for the budgeting convenience of the recipient. So unemployed people should be no less allowed to receive their full benefits during a holiday week than a salaried worker should receive their full salary that week.

2) Unemployment benefits are a welfare benefit. And if all the people receiving food stamps and housing assistance get benefits for federal holidays so that they can eat and keep a roof over their head every day of the month, instead of starving or being homeless on certain days just because those days are federal holidays, then an unemployed person should receive their benefit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment