U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 PM

149 posts, read 311,644 times

Advertisements

I just know to put Salary requirements open.

Anyone else have tips to assist those improve their resume's and cover letters?

Good luck all in the job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 PM

523 posts, read 1,616,254 times
I have helped few of my friends land jobs both in the private and public sector.

Some of my advice; very long but i hope it will provide you guys with information you can use to set yourself up with an interview:

1) For each position you are applying for should have a resume specific to that position and it wouldnt hurt to have a general template and just add or subtract from it.

2) Read the position description and duties and build your resume to reflect what they are looking for.

3) Utilize action words (google action words and there are many sites you can use to help you build your resume with these words)

4) Leave out references and salary desired (provide during face to face interview if requested, you can even have a separate reference sheet to give out).

5) Short and concise Resume; keep at one page unless you are a professional needing to indicate all work experience, skills, and education (but then you should use curriculum vitae)

6) Avoid adding irrelevant work history/experience.

7) If you don't have much education (ie just a HS diploma); dont even worry about adding education on your resume. Instead concentrate more on your work experience (in a sense substitute experience for education).

8) If you still have much white space after work experience; try to add some additional value to your resume by adding volunteer/community service work, continuing education classes/courses, and awards.

9) Don't over exaggerate your skills and experience.

10) I highly suggest a summary of qualifications over Objectives. Anyone can list an objective ie "Pursue a job as a help desk technician," my objectives was 1 long sentence; however, an objective really doesnt add any value and doesnt tell the hiring manager anything about you (waste of space). Instead use a summary of qualifications either in bullet or paragraph format (at least have 3 bullets/sentences; I believe 5 bullets/sentences is ideal).

11) A cover letter would be a nice introduction about yourself. Why you want to work for that company, and what you can do for them. Just remember, a company wants to know WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THEM; they will be investing in you and they want the best candidate available so you need to market yourself well.

12) I suggest following up with the hiring manager or human resources department. Call and see the status of your application, inquire if that position is still available, get to know these people, be very personalble with them. I say call, but if you are able to follow up or turn in an application in person I would highly suggest that as well; make some small talk and ask questions too.

13) Networking is key; attend career fairs and make small talk with strangers.

One thing I did when i was looking for a job (after I got off active duty) and I found it very effective. I would think of any company I wanted to work for; I would google their name and the word careers (ie JB Hunt Careers). This will lead you to their career website and usually give you an email and phone number for job inquiries. I got so many leads this way and so many job opportunites. So google any career with any company!

Well hope all goes well, if you have more specific questions you can PM me. I'm in no way a subject matter expert but I think I know alot about the hiring process and what hiring managers are looking for.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:52 PM

677 posts, read 1,442,464 times
Between classes and independent research, these are some tips I've learned:
  • Spell check your resume and cover letter no less than five times. Use the automated spell checker and then go back through to make sure it didn't miss anything or substitute a different word.
  • Less is more, don't write long paragraphs in your resume.
  • ALWAYS send a cover letter and customize it for each position you apply for.
  • Try to make your resume stand out, in a good way. Google "creative resumes" and you'll see what I mean.
  • Phone numbers and addresses of places you've worked at are unnecessary. A simple city and state is sufficient.
  • Don't sent references with your resume unless you're specifically asked to. Especially when applying for positions through job boards online, you don't want to give out contact information of other people to possible scammers.
  • Always read through the job posting a couple of times so you know if you need to add something to cover letter, such as wage requirements, availability, etc.
Hmm, that's all I've got for now. Good idea for a thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

42 posts, read 122,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySue1959 View Post
I just know to put Salary requirements open.
Probably not the best idea, who told you this?

I think the best advice I got is to be specific. Instead of saying "managed portfolio for the department", use "one of two portfolio managers overseeing portfolios worth $1000, in a department that takes in $5000 a week etc etc".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or