Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM

377 posts, read 587,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
The only hope is Pelosi pushes to change the bill from emergency funding to using stimulus. It will get 2/3 that way AND pass the Senate. They are just trying every iteration of avoiding PAYGO, and we suffer in the meantime.
She talked about that last week, saying she was open to it. Getting democrats to cut spending is usually impossible (unless it's military spending) but in this case they just might be forced to pay for something. If they want it to pass, they will do what is necessary.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM

407 posts, read 658,016 times
My hope is at this point, that the Democrats just bite the bullet on this one and use stimulus funds... should they have to ??? NO! Its complete B.S. and the republicans should be ashamed of themselves for passing every other piece of legislation they get... REGARDLESS of whether its paid for (as relates to the Wars) and yet, refuse to consider "EMERGENCY Unemployment Compensation" as EMERGENCY Spending.. its disgusting and shameful....
but since time is short before the break, they should just bite the bullet and use stimulus money.... let the republicans have their "victory" and move on... otherwise, we are looking at another 3 weeks MINIMUM before anything gets done....

Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 25,143 times
This says it all:

http://www.opencongress.org/articles...Insurance-Bill

Last edited by drawergirl; 06-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: To correct link

Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM

392 posts, read 702,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
My hope is at this point, that the Democrats just bite the bullet on this one and use stimulus funds... should they have to ??? NO! Its complete B.S. and the republicans should be ashamed of themselves for passing every other piece of legislation they get... REGARDLESS of whether its paid for (as relates to the Wars) and yet, refuse to consider "EMERGENCY Unemployment Compensation" as EMERGENCY Spending.. its disgusting and shameful....
but since time is short before the break, they should just bite the bullet and use stimulus money.... let the republicans have their "victory" and move on... otherwise, we are looking at another 3 weeks MINIMUM before anything gets done....
If this wasn't so hurtful to us I would rather the DEMS call the R bluff and refuse war appropriations until they pass this. But honestly not many of us can hold out for weeks even though this is the right way to fight back.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM

Yes, in an ideal world Id love to see this played out to the CORRECT Conclusion... but the facts are that the Democrats have more to lose than the republicans on this issue. The republicans are not courting the unemployed vote--- and I doubt that anything they do or can do will change that... but the democrats NEED the unemployed vote--- so its better politically for them to fold on this, and give in to help the unemployed.... I just hope they can still get it done in the next 3 days... otherwise, its weeks away again....

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

600 posts, read 1,071,837 times
Reid Working With Republican Caucus to Move UI Bill « The Washington Independent

Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

306 posts, read 603,787 times
I think that was before they voted it out, wasn't it?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM

[quote=rjca;14828849]Republicans have said over and over and over that they want it offset. Democrats have refused every time.

quote]

Well the point is that its EMERGENCY Spending and as such, historically has NEVER had to have been offset. That is the point of EMERGENCY Spending is that you dont have to pay for it first---- its an emergency. The republicans know this---- and they also realize that they are really NOT saving any $$$$ at all. When people lose unemployment benefits---- they are forced to switch to welfare, food stamps, and other social programs that eat up that $$$ so it still costs the government about the same... this is all just SMOKE AND MIRRORS. The republicans for some reason have chosen THIS ISSUE to make their big example out of. if they were honestly concerned about this, they would use defense spending in Iraq or Afghanistan (which cost more) to make the issue out of... the truth is they realize the unemployed vote is NOT with them and they are gambling that this is a win/win for them.... shameful...

Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM

600 posts, read 1,071,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
I think that was before they voted it out, wasn't it?
I don't know, that's what's confusing.

The Open Congress article (which was written after the House vote) references this article, saying that it might be a sign of something else to come.

So who knows. Maybe the person who wrote the Open Congress article got confused.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM

377 posts, read 587,458 times
[quote=CA11;14829198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Republicans have said over and over and over that they want it offset. Democrats have refused every time.

quote]

Well the point is that its EMERGENCY Spending and as such, historically has NEVER had to have been offset ...
I understand that, I understand the democrat position. What I'm saying is that for this to go through, we're at a point where the republicans are going to have to get their way. What the democrats want isn't particularly relevant right now.

Just the nature of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment