U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2010, 01:40 AM

48,595 posts, read 44,688,593 times
the recession was a convenient moment for many employers to dump dead wood.
the extensions will eventually end. cobra being the biggest expense must be addressed. many on cobra are not insurable as new clients.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM

870 posts, read 876,306 times
Default The Unemployment Emergency: by Pulitzer Prize winning writer

washingtonpost.com

There is a live question and answer session online with Eugene Robinson today at 1pm. (hit this link if you'd like to convey your concern or enlighten Mr Robinson (who by the way is frequently commenting on MSNBC) about an unemployment question.

http://live.washingtonpost.com/opini...nson-0706.html

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-06-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 AM

269 posts, read 354,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Diane, thank you for sharing your story with us and for providing anecdotal evidence that even the nursing field is not completely healthy. Have you seen hospitals or clinics hiring any nurses from overseas?
There are plenty of nursing jobs in zipcode 08753:

Nurse Jobs in Toms River, NJ 08753 | Indeed.com

Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 AM

208 posts, read 276,419 times
one can't help but get the feeling that temps and part timers will make up the bulk of new hires for the next few years

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM

169 posts, read 169,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post

thanks for that link...my speciality is alzheimers...not one job in that field..but if you'd like i can take care of your family member with no experience in pediatrics or vent care.....as i said , within the nursing profession there are sub specialties..none of which i am qualified for and frankly i would never put a patients life at risk because i just need a job..NURSING is NOT ....JUST A JOB

Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Is there a 'consensus' on seemingly opposing views on furthering 'stimulus'?

Ezra Klein - Is there more consensus on (some) stimulus than we think?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM

169 posts, read 169,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Diane, thank you for sharing your story with us and for providing anecdotal evidence that even the nursing field is not completely healthy. Have you seen hospitals or clinics hiring any nurses from overseas?
Yes many many hospitals and nursing homes are hiring people from overseas..many of these people have a much better education then we are given in the USA and are willing to work 80 hours a week at a much lower rate of pay..but of course the american dollar to them is golden..also much of their money is sent back to their countries to support their families there and is not put back into our economy...i have seen many women working as cna's with having left 3 children behind in their country to work here to support them...there was also a group that i knew of that worked in jersey and chicago but were illegal and had illegal ss numbers..at my job i know for a fact the irs came in and questioned the administration about these people and next thing we all knew, they were gone, some stayed in the area and are working again and some went to chicago..it does no good to call immigration as i have tried already and the irs is overwhelmed too.....so many american born and raised here are suffering...wanting to work, wanting to put money back in our economy but cant .....its the american way nowadays....i often wonder what would happen if i went to another country to work...would they welcome me as much as this government welcomes them

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM

225 posts, read 283,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
thanks for that link...my speciality is alzheimers...not one job in that field..but if you'd like i can take care of your family member with no experience in pediatrics or vent care.....as i said , within the nursing profession there are sub specialties..none of which i am qualified for and frankly i would never put a patients life at risk because i just need a job..NURSING is NOT ....JUST A JOB

Haven't they found a lot of new drugs to help people with Alzheimers? You may want to consider looking into WIA for the unemployed and going back to school to learn a new sub specialty. Perhaps cancer? It seems people are smoking a lot more now these days due to anxiety & depression. Perhaps bariatrics? Something along those lines.. I will be doing that same thing after I go to school for the MA diploma. I plan on heading into the oncology field.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM

2,785 posts, read 4,461,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post

That may be true, but the issue is always, "How many people are qualified to work those jobs and how many are applying?" As a general rule you can always find ads for jobs in almost any field, but it doesn't tell you what the qualified applicant-to-job ratio is.

If 500 people need a certain type of job and there are only 25 jobs available then it might look as though plenty of jobs are available when in reality there is a shortage of 475 jobs.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Default Inaction feeding Unemployment Crisis

The Media Consortium: Weekly Audit: Congressional Inaction Feeding Unemployment Crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.