U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,782,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
As unpopular as this will make me on this forum, I too don't think it's unreasonable to cap UB at 99 weeks (or even sooner). I'm still in my first 26 weeks of unemployment, but given the uncertainty of getting an extension when my 26 weeks run out, I'm planning for the worst. When I first filed my claim, I only hoped for 26 weeks--I didn't even know that there was a possibility to get benefits longer than that. So any extensions are an unexpected blessing. I do not feel "entitled" to them, no matter how much I may need or want them. I'm going after anything I can find that pays close to what I'm getting on unemployment. If I'm still not working by the time my unemployment runs out, I'll lower my bar and look at even lower-paying jobs. That's just life, and life sucks sometimes.
Your post ain't too popular with me , 'cause some people may have different circumstances or problems that prevented them from finding a job. The possibilities are endless for being unemployed after 26 weeks.

However, other folks may have been too choosy, and actually using the extensions to wait for a GREAT job, instead of grabbing A JOB. Being unemployed ain't the time to be picky. Apply for and grab what you can.

I'm looking for a full-time JOB, or two part-time ones (don't care). It doesn't have to be GREAT, or even GOOD, just one with a steady base pay - and hopefully benefits. I can tolerate darn near any work atmosphere after these past few months.

I'll work out the budgeting, etc. I know how to live frugally, and will continue to do so after my money boat comes in.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

186 posts, read 202,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
"I have been unemployed for over a year and I am grateful to get that money for that long, but after 99 weeks I feel like that should have been enough."

So why isn't a year enough to find a job? If improving your job skills would have helped others then you should have a job before 52 weeks right because you got skills. So what your saying is that when you get to 99 weeks of benefits and let's say at that time they offer 120 weeks, your not cashing anymore of those UB checks? Your telling me your not going to accept the other 21 weeks? This is the problem with people, each person's situation is different. Age, skills, experience, etc, etc, all comes into play and one of those can keep people from finding a job, especially when 6 people are applying for every one job. Those other 21 weeks will feed, cloth, and put a roof over millions of 99er's heads. You make sure you come back and start a thread when you get to 99 weeks and tell everyone your turning down any additional UB benefits.
speaking for myself i won't start that thread..2 years is enough..hopefully it doesn't take that long to find a job,..lets' face it, there's people who are trying hard to find jobs,..but there's even more that just slack off, apply for a job they know they can't get, and keep collecting their check..i know of plenty of people that do that,..and it's wrong. the thing is most people think they can just get a high paying job again..and it won't happen..they need to settle for something less unfortunately..i'm on my 11th month right now..and i'm embarassed that i'm on my wife's health insurance and she's working while i'm at home. i would do anything to find a decent job. and if i run out of unemployment after being on it two years, there';s something wrong with me, not the government. you can make excuses, but they're being very generous in giving us 2 years to find a job

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

613 posts, read 577,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
As unpopular as this will make me on this forum, I too don't think it's unreasonable to cap UB at 99 weeks (or even sooner). I'm still in my first 26 weeks of unemployment, but given the uncertainty of getting an extension when my 26 weeks run out, I'm planning for the worst. When I first filed my claim, I only hoped for 26 weeks--I didn't even know that there was a possibility to get benefits longer than that. So any extensions are an unexpected blessing. I do not feel "entitled" to them, no matter how much I may need or want them. I'm going after anything I can find that pays close to what I'm getting on unemployment. If I'm still not working by the time my unemployment runs out, I'll lower my bar and look at even lower-paying jobs. That's just life, and life sucks sometimes.
There are millions and millions of 99er's that have done what you have stated your going to do. The toughest thing ever to do is put yourself in another person's situation. And you are entitled to UB benefits by law. You should feel entitled to them since your tax dollars paid into them just like paying into social security. There have been 8 million jobs lost since late 2007 that all experts are saying will never return. Now where will those 8 million people going to turn for help because they lost their job of no fault of their own? You yourself might be one of these 8 million who will never find a job.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM

285 posts, read 374,031 times
I sit here and i read. I read more than i post. But what i do read sometimes amazes me. Their are so many clueless people out their. I got laid off June 6th of 2008. I haven't drawn another dime of unemployment since Feb. It's a absolute shame that i and others like me, The 99ers, Have had to go this long with nothing. Especially after paying into it for years. You people that are still drawing sit in front of your keyboard and say that if you can't find a job in 2 years then it's your fault.

That is the most asinine thing i have ever heard anyone say. You must not have any kids or a wife looking up to you to support them. Because if you did and you saw that you were not going to find a job before your unemployment benefit ran out you would be just like everyone else. You would expect our government to do the same for you as they have done for the big banks and everyone else.

Here where i am their are no jobs. I am not the least bit afraid to take something that at one time might have been considered as below my potential. But their is nothing. No one is hiring, Period. If anything they are closing up at a alarming rate. I keep hearing some people say that indeed.com is full of job postings. I've been their. I've applied for so many jobs i have lost count.

But going by what some have said here it's our fault we can't get a job. How can it be any ones fault when no one is hiring.

Yes, I'm one of these that believe they owe it to us. We paid in on it for 25 years. Some even longer. It's time to give some of it back to the people here. Instead of sending it all over the world. Sending it to places that hate our guts and would love to see all of us dead. They can send billions in aid all over the world. But they can't take care of there own. No wonder our country is the laughing stock of other countries.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 PM

6,494 posts, read 7,877,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lQQkin4fulltime View Post
I agree. I have been unemployed for over a year and I am grateful to get that money for that long, but after 99 weeks I feel like that should have been enough. If you have been lookin for a job for 2 years than you need to improve your skills. There are plenty of programs that have been offered for the unemployed. WIA, Grants for school, in Georgia we have the Work Ready program where they give you an extra 100 bucks per week just to go train and gain skills. C'mon folks, get out there and improve your resumes.
This is true but I think there needs to be something that can be done to help those who are truly "unemployable". For example, a 60-year old who was in a now "dead" industry for 40 years and needs to both learn a completely new career and is facing major age discrimination. I don't have the answer but isn't that supposedly what we elect people for?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 374,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This is true but I think there needs to be something that can be done to help those who are truly "unemployable". For example, a 60-year old who was in a now "dead" industry for 40 years and needs to both learn a completely new career and is facing major age discrimination. I don't have the answer but isn't that supposedly what we elect people for?
Not just 60 yrs old's. But folks like me to. I'm 48. I am right at the edge of being unemployable. When you hit your late forties to around fifty people do not want to hire you.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM

870 posts, read 882,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
"I have been unemployed for over a year and I am grateful to get that money for that long, but after 99 weeks I feel like that should have been enough."

So why isn't a year enough to find a job? If improving your job skills would have helped others then you should have a job before 52 weeks right because you got skills. So what your saying is that when you get to 99 weeks of benefits and let's say at that time they offer 120 weeks, your not cashing anymore of those UB checks? Your telling me your not going to accept the other 21 weeks? This is the problem with people, each person's situation is different. Age, skills, experience, etc, etc, all comes into play and one of those can keep people from finding a job, especially when 6 people are applying for every one job. Those other 21 weeks will feed, cloth, and put a roof over millions of 99er's heads. You make sure you come back and start a thread when you get to 99 weeks and tell everyone your turning down any additional UB benefits.

Good answer

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 830,360 times
I was unemployed for 90+weeks. Although I have "skills"[since I eventually got a good job at a slight increase in pay], I honestly believe it was luck that played a major part in getting a job.

I too was "laid off" in 2008 [co closed]- figured I'd get a job quickly like I did 10yrs B4 the last time I was laid off. Then, who knew?, companies just started bleeding jobs all over the place. Come the fall the whole bottom fell out.

You've got to understand the timing here for 99er's. They were on this ride all the way down the tubes. You could almost write off the first year while we watched tons more people get laid off.

IF, and it's a big IF, the economy is turning around, someone laid off now is being laid off on an upturn in the graph, while we went from April 2008 when UE was 5% to Nov 2009 when it hit 10.2 %. These were not hiring times!

So now some can sit back and say 99ers wasted a year or more, didn't try, whatever. Trust me -- we were in "the doldrums" that place in the middle of the ocean where there's no wind in your sails whatsoever. Sending out resumes into the black hole and and praying for wind.

Instead of passing judgment of those without work after 99 weeks, take a look at those 99 weeks, and hope they don't have a rerun in 2010 when congress seems to be pretty bored with this whole unemployment thing.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 PM

208 posts, read 279,021 times
since i keep reading and hearing that there are 5 people for every 1 job, it would seem that polishing up ones resume is like putting a band-aid on a severed artery

Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,629,489 times
I'm not sure where they pull that 5:1 ratio figure from, but I'd love to know how they arrive at it. I know for a fact that every job I've had any chance at (phone or face to face interview) over the last year there have been WAY more than 5 people applying (and that's even discounting 50% of the applications as being wholly unsuitable/unqualified etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment