Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
It seems to me that some are missing the key word here.

Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions - Part 2

The word "for". It's for getting them. Not for the prospects of "not" getting them. Therefor the prospects of "not" getting them is off topic for the thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Okay. I give up.
Can we at least all agree that this whole thing is totally Diorgirl's fault for naming her thread in a deliberately ambiguous and controversial way?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM

306 posts, read 605,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Amazing how you have contradicted your own words from previous posts. Here is a quote from you:

'........Although I haven't worked as long as you, I certainly DID my fairshareof paying into unemployment for almost 20 years....this truely is BS that we pay into for years and years, and get 99 weeks back. So, if they do not extend it, what the heck am I paying for????'

Here is the post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13411497-post1581.html
That was THREE months ago...I now have a different perspective on UI and life...I've learned to live with the fact that it WON'T happen, and after reading up on multiple things and listening to multiple things, I do NOT expect the gov't to support me!!! That was very foolish of me to expect such a big demand. I have made several life changes, first was getting the hell out of NJ.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
That was THREE months ago...I now have a different perspective on UI and life...I've learned to live with the fact that it WON'T happen, and after reading up on multiple things and listening to multiple things, I do NOT expect the gov't to support me!!! That was very foolish of me to expect such a big demand. I have made several life changes, first was getting the hell out of NJ.

If you have followed the CAUSES of this deep recession and understand that it was Government and their lack of oversight over the institutions that were put in place for OUR benefit (Banks, AIG, etc), you'd realize that a job prospect was severely lessened and the possibilities LOWERED due to these major blunders. When the cause is SYSTEMIC and the Government has brought the consequences to the doorsteps of the unemployed, the 'promise' to you and I should be that 'I, your Congress, will not only look to try and fix the LOOPHOLES and backdoor DEALS that these institutions have taken advantage of, but in the process we will care to have some form of safety net that can allow the 'victims' (AMERICANS) of this mess to be able to SURVIVE. If you say that 'you don't expect the gov to support you' and there are close to SIX unemployed for every ONE job available, tell me, SIR, after the 'legislators' have brought the unemployed to the brink of financial ruin and these consequences have been delivered to the doorsteps of the ones that elected them by guaranteeing that 5 out of 6 unemployed have NO SHOT at a job, realistically speaking WHO is meant to 'support' the unemployed during a time where their options have BEEN REMOVED. Let's not be 'insensitive' and belittle those that suffer by suggesting they are where they are because they are looking to be 'supported' by the system that has been mismanaged and unregulated by OUR elected officials. Do YOU think dipping into your savings and retirement account EVEN with an unemployment check is GRAVY??

I hope you'd live up to your statements by refusing any benefits from any extensions that may come from this point forward. In the meantime I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and shame others into not looking for the much needed safety net while jobs are still NOT THERE!

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-09-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
So, how long would you like to be paid for?? 5, 10, 15 years, come on now. And on another note, GA does NOT have a payroll deduction for UI taxes, it is paid for by your employer on your behalf. NJ does have a specific deduction just for UI, and the employers also pay a portion...Ummm, I didn't do payroll taxes for 20 years for nothing...
Except perhaps when UI was invented in the 30s for this very reason, when in the past was the ratio of job seekers to openings 6:1? That makes it not a job hunt, but a LOTTERY. Yes, a lottery to get a job! I think in even the worst of previous recessions, the ratio was like 3:1, bad but not impossible.

While it can't go on forever, with this kind of situation, something needs to be done or you will have a large and growing class of "permanently unemployable" people, and I mean permanent for even minimum wage jobs. There's no money to start Social Security at say 50 for this group. And I don't see any private "job creation" solution that won't take years at best to work through. While that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, why no one in public office hasn't suggested a modern day version of the WPA is beyond me.....that's the real solution for the 99'ers in my view.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Can we at least all agree that this whole thing is totally Diorgirl's fault for naming her thread in a deliberately ambiguous and controversial way?
FYI, it's not "my thread" -- but aren't you the clever one.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post

Q: Why can't this money (most of which has not been spent already) be used to fund a stand-alone UI extension?

A: Because this $$$ is going to grease the palms of their political supporters, not those of us they are supposed to be representing.

B. Because if you fund it, then it is no longer emergency spending. This is truly a huge sticking point.

I know this stinks for those whose benefits have been cut off, but it is a valid point of principle. Federal UI benefits have been emergency spending. If they give in to having them no longer classified as emergency, it opens the 'establishing a precedence' door. [ALL the war spending has also been unbudgeted for recent years.]

Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Default WVa. Gov Says He's Waiting on State Legislature

The New York Times has reported that West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin (D) got clearance from the state attorney general for a special election to replace the late Senator Robert Byrd (D-WVa.) be held in November. In the interim, the governor is expected to appoint someone to fill the seat until November.

Manchin said on MSNBC this morning that he needs guidance from the state legislature about when to make an appointment to fill Byrd's seat and when to hold a special election. "It's possible by next week or the week after that we can have a direction that the legislature's clarified, and I'll make an appointment," he said.

According to Arthur Delaney of the HuffingtonPost.com, Manchin is under enormous pressure from Democrats to make the appointment quickly. If the governor names an appointee on Monday morning (July 12), it's possible that the Senate could approve HR 5618 (which would extend the eligibility cut-off dates for federal unemployment benefits through November 30, 2010) -- and send it to the President as soon as Friday (July 16).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/us...byrd.html?_r=2
Unemployment Extension Standoff, Day 38: What Happens Next

Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 AM

306 posts, read 605,422 times
Special Session Scheduled - West Virginia's Eyewitness News (http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/100709_2237.shtml - broken link)

Special session next Thursday on how to proceed with Byrd's replacement..

Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 AM

613 posts, read 960,662 times
Courier Electronic Edition - Findlay, Ohio: ASSOCIATED PRESS NEWS (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DUNCAN_HIGH_SCHOOL?SITE=OHFIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMP LATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-07-10-03-04-14 - broken link)

From the article:

The U.S. House has proposed cutting money from Race to the Top and other Duncan initiatives in order to send $10 billion to the states to keep 140,000 teachers in the classroom, and about $5 billion to shore up the Pell Grant program, which helps low-income students pay for college.

If Congress doesn't care about the millions and millions, either out of UB or cutoff, then they are not going to care about 140,000 teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment