U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM

870 posts, read 882,920 times
Default Our neighbor

Can anyone explain to me what Canada has been doing that WE need to take lessons from with their unemployment rate that has been going down steadily beginning with it's initial decline as of September of 2009. I would think the USA would want to check out what our neighbors are doing right and take some pointers. The current rate is 7.9% from it's not too long ago rate of 8.7%.

Check out this webpage and scroll to the diagram showing the last 2.5 yrs.

Canada Unemployment Rate

Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM

5,346 posts, read 1,372,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Can anyone explain to me what Canada has been doing that WE need to take lessons from with their unemployment rate that has been going down steadily beginning with it's initial decline as of September of 2009. I would think the USA would want to check out what our neighbors are doing right and take some pointers. The current rate is 7.9% from it's not too long ago rate of 8.7%.

Canada Unemployment Rate
Emnployers in Canada don't have to worry about Health Insurance costs.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Canada Unemployment Rate

After researching a bit further the picture although looking better for Canada may not be as rosy as it may appear:

One fact is that hours worked among all workers dropped — meaning that, on average, less work was divided among more people. Also, jobs that were created in June were mostly in the service industry, the majority in retail and wholesale trade.

A top economist suggests that the country's political leadership has turned away from the manufacturing sector. "They think it's a smoke stack industry of the past."

Apparently the future Canadian economy will be found in two separate categories in the service industry.

The first category includes high-skilled, high-paid, creative, management and analytical jobs. The second covers the low-paid service jobs.

Didn't want to leave that dangling so I answered my own question.

http://www.canada.com/business/Unemp...336/story.html

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-12-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,633,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Emnployers in Canada don't have to worry about Health Insurance costs.
same thing in Australia - health insurance isn't tied to employment so it's not a factor in hiring like it is here.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Could be the 16th to the 18th Byrd Seat is filled according to Manchin

Unemployment Extensions – Evening Update;... | Gather

Article states:

A report released by the Federal Reserve estimated that unemployment insurance extensions pump about $7 billion a month into the economy (this may be one of the reasons why Republicans didn't want to say much in rebuttals on the floor today about having the benefits paid for)

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-12-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM

377 posts, read 338,340 times
Thanks for the update. Makes sense that Obama or Reid were putting pressure on the WV governor and that's why he went on record for a timetable.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM

22 posts, read 23,854 times
Quote:
Unemployment Extensions – Evening Update;... | Gather

Article states:

A report released by the Federal Reserve estimated that unemployment insurance extensions pump about $7 billion a month into the economy (this may be one of the reasons why Republicans didn't want to say much in rebuttals on the floor today about having the benefits paid for)

(sigh) geesh, i will definitely be evicted by the time i receive any funds again. And, still no luck as far as jobs around here and the crazy part is, Im experienced and educated. Im remaining hopeful though.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Default 55,000 Americans per day SINCE June 2nd (2.25 MILLION)

GOP Economic Terrorism Destroys the Safety Net... | Gather

http://www.examiner.com/x-27052-Roch...yment-benefits

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-13-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

613 posts, read 577,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared_and_struggling View Post
(sigh) geesh, i will definitely be evicted by the time i receive any funds again. And, still no luck as far as jobs around here and the crazy part is, Im experienced and educated. Im remaining hopeful though.
You need to look up your city's eviction laws. If one has children or is with child, it takes months and months usually to evict a renter with children. A retired friend of mine owns a home rental company. I know that honest people who have worked their ass off all their life don't want to not pay rent but millions of people in your same situation have no choice. People are going to do what they have to to feed the families and themselves.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

125 posts, read 175,706 times
Also facing eviction, but am one of two single (technically) males living together. So 30 days notice is all it takes. Was bound to happen sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment