U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM

870 posts, read 901,475 times

Advertisements

House Hearing on Long-term Unemployed Provides... | Gather

Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,008,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Senator Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) is predicting that, "We fully expect to have the 60 votes to be able to pass this bill [HR 4213] by early next week."

Among the changes that Senate Democrats hope to make are:
Reinserting the Medicaid funding, in response to lobbying by state governors.
Weakening a provision in the bill that would close a loophole allowing investment fund managers to pay a lower tax rate.

There are no plans to reinsert the $7 billion COBRA premium subsidy.

Senate Won't Pass Urgent Jobs Bill Until Next Week
In response to Senator Schumer's confident statement earlier today about passing HR 4213 next week, Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) said Republican resistance would likely continue until more of the legislation was paid for. The bill's programs total roughly $140 billion, and $77 billion of that would be added to the federal deficit. More Democrats are also now voicing concern about passing a bill whose costs are not fully offset.

Harry Reid: Extenders bill will pass - TheHill.com

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM

735 posts, read 1,815,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmlnj View Post
Diorgirl,

Here's a question for you. When I was laid off on Nov. 14 2009 I had 2 weeks left on my 26 week 2008 claim. I used those 2 weeks and then was placed on a Tier I extension for 2 weeks. On Dec. 14 2009 I had to re-certify on my one year 2008 anniversary. I was then taken off of Tier I and placed on a new 26 week claim. My last call in for that 26 week claim will be this Monday the 14th of June. Here is the question: can I still receive the remaining 18 weeks of Tier I since I was on that Tier prior to the May/June cut-off dates? Or, will I go on New Jersey EB until and if they re-authorize the Federal extensions?

Thanks again!!
Hi,

I know I am not Diorgirl, however, I have experience with this (Massachusetts), so I will tell you how it worked for me.....

-Used my initial 26 week claim and 6 weeks of tier 1.
-Ended claim by doing temp work for 4 months.
-When temp jobs ended, I re-applied for unemployment, and started a new claim due to eligibility and a new benefit year (checks went down by $80 per week, plus I was not eligible for all of the 26 weeks).
-At the end of that claim, I called to start tier 1, and was put back where I left off of my first claim (so the 7th week of tier 1). The person explained that since I did not use all of my extensions on my 1st claim, I had to use those (which was good as my checks went back up).

I am not sure if it is the same in all states. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,008,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
My understanding is that once NJ UI closes a claim and opens a new one for you, you cannot collect benefits on the previous claim. If someone has had a different experience, please do share it.

Accordingly, I would expect you to go on to NJ EB. If the eligibility cut-off dates for the Tiers are extended, your EB payments will be suspended and you will be transferred to Tier I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Hi,

I know I am not Diorgirl, however, I have experience with this (Massachusetts), so I will tell you how it worked for me.....

-When temp jobs ended, I re-applied for unemployment, and started a new claim due to eligibility and a new benefit year (checks went down by $80 per week, plus I was not eligible for all of the 26 weeks).
-At the end of that claim [do you mean here at the end of your regular benefits of fewer than 26 weeks?], I called to start tier 1, and was put back where I left off of my first claim (so the 7th week of tier 1). The person explained that since I did not use all of my extensions on my 1st claim, I had to use those (which was good as my checks went back up). [And did you get the maximum allotment of weeks for each of the Tiers, as well as the higher weekly benefit from the initial claim?]

Thanks for that experience from Massachusetts. Has anyone else in another state had a similar experience?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM

2,797 posts, read 4,663,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronethanh View Post
I've said it back when they were talking about first extensions. They love to give us these meager extensions as a teaser. They know for damn sure one or two month isn't close to enough but yet they refuse to give us a long term extension. Instead they have to keep wasting time to go back to the same damn issue with the same damn quibbles with nothing getting done while they go on recess.
I suspect that some of them are thinking, in the back of their minds:

"Let them sweat. Let's not give them such a secure cushion. Let's encourage them to get off their fat butts and go look for all of those (in reality nonexistent) jobs that people are turning down."

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 AM

735 posts, read 1,815,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme
Hi,

-At the end of that claim [do you mean here at the end of your regular benefits of fewer than 26 weeks?], I called to start tier 1, and was put back where I left off of my first claim (so the 7th week of tier 1). The person explained that since I did not use all of my extensions on my 1st claim, I had to use those (which was good as my checks went back up). [And did you get the maximum allotment of weeks for each of the Tiers, as well as the higher weekly benefit from the initial claim?]

To answer the questions in green above ....

[do you mean here at the end of your regular benefits of fewer than 26 weeks?]
Yes, I mean the end of my regular benefits that were fewer than 26 weeks, however, I do not think the # of weeks had anything to do with how the tiers worked.

[And did you get the maximum allotment of weeks for each of the Tiers, as well as the higher weekly benefit from the initial claim?]
I am only in tier 1, and I am approved for the full 20 weeks (minus the weeks I had already used) and I am receiving the higher weekly benefit rate from my initial claim. Think of it as going back to where I keft off, which was week 7 of my initial claim.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 AM

613 posts, read 592,498 times
Here goes Senator Reid again.

This is the same Senator who stated that the Senate wouldn't go home for this last recess until HR4213 passes.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

600 posts, read 697,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Here goes Senator Reid again.

This is the same Senator who stated that the Senate wouldn't go home for this last recess until HR4213 passes.
I would like to believe his word, seeing as how he is an insider and knows what's going on behind the scenes, but he's made some bold statements in the past that didn't come through in a timely manner.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM

613 posts, read 592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
I would like to believe his word, seeing as how he is an insider and knows what's going on behind the scenes, but he's made some bold statements in the past that didn't come through in a timely manner.
Well, when Reid is quoted by several sources stating he was keeping the Senate from going on recess to process HR4213 and didn't, that was it for me. His challenger is going to when by a landslide. He has got to understand, and believe me he has no clue, that when he makes statements he better at least try to do what he states he's going to do because millions of unemployed workers are listening very intently, their lives are on the line.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

870 posts, read 901,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Well, when Reid is quoted by several sources stating he was keeping the Senate from going on recess to process HR4213 and didn't, that was it for me. His challenger is going to when by a landslide. He has got to understand, and believe me he has no clue, that when he makes statements he better at least try to do what he states he's going to do because millions of unemployed workers are listening very intently, their lives are on the line.

Other Senators who are not up for re-election for another couple of years are counting on voters having short memories. Reid needs to watch his step being that his bid is coming up.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 06-09-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment