Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

377 posts, read 588,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
Neither side is going to do anything for anyone....Unemployment is over done dead fini....its so sad that this is the way it is...but...where would it stop anyway...someone always gets the short end of the stick and i do feel so bad for those of you who as getting cut short...but neither side is going to budge and i do believe that this is a plan they have...both sides are taking a beating verbally and we are taking a beating financially....if anything gets done it will be a miracle...right now they are dragging their feet till july 4th break ...and when they get back ..watch...they will drag it out till august and still nothing...until there are elections we are all done for...
They might drag their feet until July 4th but I doubt it. They get no upside to talking about this in the senate with no action. They talk in the senate to make big flowery speeches because they know people are watching on C-SPAN because they care about the issue. They are under pressure to pass this (both sides).

Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 PM

128 posts, read 219,332 times
Quote:
Neither side is going to do anything for anyone....Unemployment is over done dead fini....its so sad that this is the way it is...but...where would it stop anyway...someone always gets the short end of the stick and i do feel so bad for those of you who as getting cut short...but neither side is going to budge and i do believe that this is a plan they have...both sides are taking a beating verbally and we are taking a beating financially....if anything gets done it will be a miracle...right now they are dragging their feet till july 4th break ...and when they get back ..watch...they will drag it out till august and still nothing...until there are elections we are all done for...
aren't you a ray of sunshine

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Puts a spring in my step.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,309 times
Quote:
Do you have any proof it's "over and done with, fini"?

If both sides have publicly said "yes, we agree something needs to be done, we just have to figure out how to do it", then I think that's far from being "done with".

I'll trust what I'm reading in the media and what went on tonight and the things that were said, over some panic stricken forum poster. YMMV.

Oh....and here:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/1...dicaid-funding

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) said at least some Republicans might be swayed into supporting the extenders bill if Democrats agree to a package that cuts the extra spending in half so that only $30 billion is added to the deficit.

The tax extenders package includes a number of tax breaks as well as an extension of unemployment benefits, which many senators in both parties want to approve.

“My guess is that some Republicans, because of UI [unemployment insurance], want to be able to vote for a bill and would accept a certain amount of non-paid-for spending,” Thune said.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) told reporters that he and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) are close to securing the 60 votes needed to pass the bill.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
These speeches always confuse me. You know everyone has their minds made up and they know how they are going to vote, yet they act like their fellow senators are hanging on their every word because they haven't made up their minds yet.

Lol the senator just said "people watching C-SPAN..." so I have my answer, it's really just a show for us.
Quote:
They talk in the senate to make big flowery speeches because they know people are watching on C-SPAN because they care about the issue. They are under pressure to pass this (both sides).
It's really not all that complicated an issue -- and it's not simply to play to the voters back home.

The primary reason Senators and Representatives make speeches, have debates, and take votes on the floors of their respective chambers is because a certain amount of public "floor action" is required by the rules and the procedures of the separate chambers.

In addition -- in Article 1, Section 5 -- the Constitution requires Congress to keep a journal of its proceedings. Since 1873, the Congressional Record has been that official journal, recording all public activity on the floors of the chambers of Congress daily -- including statements, nominations, introductions of bills, amendments, debates, roll calls, votes, etc.

When C-SPAN coverage was added in 1979, that video component supplemented the audio tapes and the transcripts of the Congressional Record.

BTW, unlike the Congressional Record -- which is funded and operated by the U.S. Government -- C-SPAN is a private, non-profit company, created by the cable television industry to provide public access to the political process as as a public service. C-SPAN receives no government funding; operations are funded by fees paid by cable and satellite affiliates who carry C-SPAN programming.

C-SPAN covers live gavel-to-gavel floor proceedings of the U.S. House of Representatives. C-SPAN2 covers live gavel-to-gavel floor proceedings of the U.S. Senate. C-SPAN3 covers public affairs events, congressional hearings and history programming.

It is true that some Congresspersons have taken full advantage of the C-SPAN tapes by excerpting them in political ads to promote their positions on certain issues, and by posting edited segments on YouTube and other media cites on the internet.

But this sort of visibility is a side effect of, not the primary reason why, the actions in the chambers are being recorded and/or broadcast. In fact, the occasional comment by speakers referring to the "viewers at home" is well known as an inside joke among the politicians who are well aware that the viewership of the actual live coverage is exceedingly low.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Neat. Please stop responding to my posts. I tried to put you on ignore but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM

42 posts, read 71,193 times
whats the likelihood of this passing? i ran out of benefits on 6-02-2010 after tier 1. this is incredible that this is even happening. what the heck is this country coming to. i been trying to follow whats been going on, just very hard to understand at times. i would appriciate an answer in layman terms. i think its ridiculous to even think that both partys wont come to some sort of agreement, but that is just wishful thinking on my part. sometimes poor people become dilusional with hope lol.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 AM

I don't think it's a question of if it will pass, right now I think it's a question of HOW it will pass. Right now the republicans and democrats are arguing over who has the best way to fund it. Democrats want it to be considered emergency spending, which means they don't have to take that money from somewhere else. Republicans want to pay for it with the stimulus money, or by cutting spending elsewhere. But both sides are pretty vocal about agreeing that passing unemployment extensions are necessary.

My opinion, from reading today's comments by the senate, is that they are still going to use deficit spending to pay for it, but are going to try to reduce the amount that is deficit spending to throw a bone to republicans and scared democrats who are up for re-election.

The reason it's like this is the left and right, contrary to what some may say, have very different philosophies about how to do things. But if no one ever compromised, nothing would ever get done in this country. No bills would ever pass. But they do. I believe it's going to pass soon. Let's hope I'm right.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 AM

306 posts, read 605,422 times
Quote:
For those who are interested, I've figured out how to use the ignore function which is different than most other forums I've used. My Settings/ Edit Ignore List/ then you have to paste in the name of the person you want to put on ignore. Normally you're able to just click the name and do it that way but not here apparently.
Do you want to ignore b/c it's not what you want to hear?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 AM

306 posts, read 605,422 times
Let's face it folks, unemployment can support us for life...it has to end somewhere...The job market probably won't increase for years, thus unemployment will need to end at some time. Whether it's done now or in November, the job market probably won't be any better...the end of the year is one of the worse times to find jobs. If it's extended until Nov, then everybody will be complaining that they won't have a "christmas" come December...it will go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment