Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
i have a question for diorgirl..so my last check on tier 1 was last thursday..i called an agent and she said to claim next thursday when i asked her about eb. she said just to call and that i'd move to the next tier. well i got a letter today with my last non negotiable check that i claimed last thursday and it said to claim next thursday...but it has a zero balance..what will happen? am i going to have to call an agent again next thursday? or will money be there? last time when i switched to a tier, i had to call an agent first..but the bill won't pass this week..just leaves me confused.. thanks in advance. i live in nj
The zero balance simply means that your account has been cleared. Follow the instructions you received -- from the agent and on your letter -- to file again on Thursday.

If you have difficulty with the system accepting your filing on Thursday, then speak to an agent. Otherwise, you should have no problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 AM

115 posts, read 410,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Oh, I was overlooking that "gave up" implies discouragement - it should probably just be "stopped looking". For example if you decide to pursue more education or retire, "gave up" might not be an accurate characterization of your reasons. Sorry I didn't get that at first...
Honestly I think that if someone whom is unemployed opted to go to school then they're trying to better themselves/their job finding prospects, and should get some assistance.

Of course, and I say this as a recently enrolled freshman (at 36), there are jobs for students *only*, for those who qualify under "need based assistance", on the campus. I've signed up for it myself. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM

186 posts, read 365,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The zero balance simply means that your account has been cleared. Follow the instructions you received -- from the agent and on your letter -- to file again on Thursday.

If you have difficulty with the system accepting your filing on Thursday, then speak to an agent. Otherwise, you should have no problem.
thank you diorgirl..once again, you're the best

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Another commentary on Friday's jobs report:

7.9 million jobs lost, many forever - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/79-million-jobs-lost-many-cnnm-1248019835.html?x=0 - broken link)

Warning: it's pretty depressing reading...

Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Another commentary on Friday's jobs report:

7.9 million jobs lost, many forever - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/79-million-jobs-lost-many-cnnm-1248019835.html?x=0 - broken link)
It was nice to see the article mention that the economy needs at least 150,000 new jobs every month merely to keep pace with population growth.

Sadly, the article quoted another economist who espouses the industry's talking point about how we don't have enough Americans in the right fields and how construction and auto-workers need to retrain for those alleged in-demand fields.

When the fields with the supposed demand are identified they normally claim that they are STEM fields and health care. It's a completely bogus claim because our nation already has a huge oversupply of PhD scientists. See:

The Real Science Gap | Miller-McCune Online

Also, people who obtained two-year associate degrees to enter medical fields (various technician jobs) have also been having difficulty finding positions, many hospitals have frozen hiring or reduced their staff, and eventually we will have more than enough nurses since people have flooded into nursing. (When fewer Americans have money or health insurance there are far fewer elective surgeries and doctors visits and thus only the absolutely necessary surgeries are done.)

Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM

169 posts, read 275,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It was nice to see the article mention that the economy needs at least 150,000 new jobs every month merely to keep pace with population growth.

Sadly, the article quoted another economist who espouses the industry's talking point about how we don't have enough Americans in the right fields and how construction and auto-workers need to retrain for those alleged in-demand fields.

When the fields with the supposed demand are identified they normally claim that they are STEM fields and health care. It's a completely bogus claim because our nation already has a huge oversupply of PhD scientists. See:

The Real Science Gap | Miller-McCune Online

Also, people who obtained two-year associate degrees to enter medical fields (various technician jobs) have also been having difficulty finding positions, many hospitals have frozen hiring or reduced their staff, and eventually we will have more than enough nurses since people have flooded into nursing. (When fewer Americans have money or health insurance there are far fewer elective surgeries and doctors visits and thus only the absolutely necessary surgeries are done.)
Thank you for posting this...i am an LPN, i'm 58 yrs old and i have been out of work for over 2 yrs...reasons are exactly what you posted...i am finding that the employers are hiring the nurses right out of school at a much lower rate then experienced nurses, my 28 yrs experience and age both work against me and its really a shame because i have so much to offer..also within the nursing profession there are subdivisions or specialities..mine is in the care of people with mild to end stage alzheimers and we have seen a decline in many families placing their loved ones in a facility due to the expense...our hospitals have closed floors, laid off nurses and as for long term care most facilities are not hiring and they are giving the overtime to the current employees again because its cheaper to pay overtime then to hire someone new and have to give them a full benefit package...its a shame whats happening in our country and its not going to get better anytime soon.....the health care profession is in just as much trouble as any other right now

Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
Thank you for posting this...i am an LPN, i'm 58 yrs old and i have been out of work for over 2 yrs...reasons are exactly what you posted...i am finding that the employers are hiring the nurses right out of school at a much lower rate then experienced nurses, my 28 yrs experience and age both work against me and its really a shame because i have so much to offer..also within the nursing profession there are subdivisions or specialities..mine is in the care of people with mild to end stage alzheimers and we have seen a decline in many families placing their loved ones in a facility due to the expense...our hospitals have closed floors, laid off nurses and as for long term care most facilities are not hiring and they are giving the overtime to the current employees again because its cheaper to pay overtime then to hire someone new and have to give them a full benefit package...its a shame whats happening in our country and its not going to get better anytime soon.....the health care profession is in just as much trouble as any other right now
And the article didn't even mention this from the BLS report:

In June, the average workweek for all employees on private nonfarm pay-rolls decreased by 0.1 hour to 34.1 hours.

1/400 of a 40-hour work week doesn't sound like much, but for every 400,000 workers that's 1000 fewer 40-hour jobs. That pretty much offsets the 80,000 new private sector jobs reported.

The other thing that rarely gets mentioned, and isn't directly measured in the surveys, is that many of the employed have dropped a few rungs on the economic ladder...

Last edited by C.C; 07-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Diane, thank you for sharing your story with us and for providing anecdotal evidence that even the nursing field is not completely healthy. Have you seen hospitals or clinics hiring any nurses from overseas?

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,244 times
Default Nobel Peace Prize winning Economist Paul Krugman suggests it's time to 'stop punishing the unemployed'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/op...gman.html?_r=2

Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
good article, thanks for the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment