Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

613 posts, read 960,711 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Senate can start to work on the UB extension on July 12th.

Governor can order vote to fill Byrd's seat | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2010/07/09/copy/Governor-can-order-vote-to-fill-Byrds-seat.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 AM

208 posts, read 552,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lQQkin4fulltime View Post
Thank you! I agree whole-heartedly. If you can't get a job, even in this market, after two years, it's time to start promoting YOURSELF. Go to school and do something about these skills you obviously don't have that employers are seeking.
agreed...but it still doesn't address the basic issue of supply/demand. if you accept the 5 to 1 ratio of labor to jobs than 4 people still are stuck
i've polished my resume so many times i can shave in it

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,299 times
Default 2,021,000 and counting

2,021,000 long-term unemployed have lost benefits: Ed Schultz and ABC News put the heat on Congress

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM

306 posts, read 605,475 times
People can talk till their blue in the face..99er's are done, finished, zilch....People need to accept this fact and start looking for multiple part-time jobs if that's what it comes down too in order to make ends meet...Unemployment can NOT go on forever...it's a temporary thing, not a lifetime benefit..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM

306 posts, read 605,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
I paid into it for 33 yrs so far and i never got even half of what i paid in. Besides that our government has been paying for all their other pet projects for years. If they can blow billions all over the world they can afford to keep up the people they caused to be unemployed. If they can blow billions on bullshyt projects they can use some of that money to keep their own people up till they can find work. It's that simple.
So, how long would you like to be paid for?? 5, 10, 15 years, come on now. And on another note, GA does NOT have a payroll deduction for UI taxes, it is paid for by your employer on your behalf. NJ does have a specific deduction just for UI, and the employers also pay a portion...Ummm, I didn't do payroll taxes for 20 years for nothing...

Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM

87 posts, read 652,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Because he/she thinks the 99'ers still have a chance..it's a lost cause and I understand and accept the facts, but apparently he/she doesn't, nor does he/she want to....
This just seems like a "half full vs. half empty" debate. Regardless of one's perspective, both sides are valid. I, myself, tend to be pessimistic, but it helps me to read the words of more optimistic people. Perhaps some optimistic folks might find something worthwhile in the words of those who are pessimistic.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
I am a 99'er thank you very much, but I also realize that the gov't can't support me forever...nor do I expect them too. I paid my share into NJUI for 20 years, and got back MUCH more than I paid into it, so what more can I expect, nothing....
Amazing how you have contradicted your own words from previous posts. Here is a quote from you:

'........Although I haven't worked as long as you, I certainly DID my fairshareof paying into unemployment for almost 20 years....this truely is BS that we pay into for years and years, and get 99 weeks back. So, if they do not extend it, what the heck am I paying for????'

Here is the post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13411497-post1581.html

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-09-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Because it is inciting towards an audience that come to THIS thread with the TOPIC in view. Read the Merriam Webster's version of the definition of the topic on this thread and you'll see why it's 'off topic'. Particularly the word 'prospects'.

WEBSTER'S Definition:

pros·pect
Pronunciation: \ˈprä-ˌspekt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin prospectus view, prospect, from prospicere to look forward
a : anticipation b : a mental picture of something to come : c : something that is awaited or expected : d : possible or likely for the future

This is ridiculous. You mean to tell me that you've never heard the expression, "his prospects don't look good". Or something to that effect. And, if you notice, according to your own quoted definition "d" we are talking about what is "possible". If this were a thread about the definite future of extensions, it wouldn't be much of a discussion would it? The discussion is about whether or not, how long and how much the extensions will be. The possiblity exists that they will come, and the possiblity exists that they will not come.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM

285 posts, read 561,641 times
It seems to me that some are missing the key word here.

Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions - Part 2

The word "for". It's for getting them. Not for the prospects of "not" getting them. Therefor the prospects of "not" getting them is off topic for the thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
It seems to me that some are missing the key word here.

Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions - Part 2

The word "for". It's for getting them. Not for the prospects of "not" getting them. Therefor the prospects of "not" getting them is off topic for the thread.
Okay. I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment