Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Did you proof read the above nonsense?

Let me help
Quote:
The Moon's gravity has nothing to do with containing an atmosphere.
vs.
Quote:
thus its gravity is not as strong as that of the Earth.
nor never mind that the moon is a whole lot smaller
Yes, I stand corrected. I should have worded it better. However, you can have a much stronger surface gravitational field if an object if it's more compressed (density). It's one reason why black holes and neutron stars have such strong gravitational fields. They don't have to be verty large to exert extreme surface gravity. Granted, the size of the Moon is a factor, but so is it's relative density. If the Moon was very densely compressed, its surface gravity would be much stronger. However, the density of the Moon relative to its size, isn't very dense thus it's surface gravity is weaker. I agree that if the Moon's density were proportionally equal for its size to that of the Earth, then it's gravity would be stronger, but still not as strong as the Earth because of it's smaller size. Does that make more sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

No. Just...no.
Explain to me (in your own words) why Earth's gravity is stronger at the poles than the Equator. I say that centrifugal force is stronger at the equator. This is why the equator has a slight "bulge". As a result, we are 0.5% lighter at the equator than at the poles. This isn't much difference here on Earth.

Now, apply this same principle to the Moon. The Earth rotates once every 24 hours. The Moon rotates once every 30 days (720 hours). The Moon also has a larger body (Earth) than itself relatively close. If the Moon (a smaller body) can make our ocean tides rise, imagine what Earth (a larger body) could do to an almost non-spinning Moon (especially the side that never faces Earth). Our gravity plus the Moon's much smaller centrifugal force could produce enough gravity on the far side of the Moon to hold down a thin atmosphere. For those of you that say "NO WAY", please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Yes, I stand corrected. I should have worded it better. However, you can have a much stronger surface gravitational field if an object if it's more compressed (density).
Dammit man, now you're talking!!! I was just about to bring up the density factor. The Earth has tons more water than the Moon. The Moon also is supposedly covered with impact craters. This info alone pretty much confirms that the Moon has more density than the Earth (eventhough mainstream science says that the Moon's density is 2/3 of Earth's density).

Still, it is very interesting that ex-NASA officials are now saying that our Moon has ET activity on it. That's the main issue for me.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-25-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
I don’t know why it would be so surprising to find water on the moon.
I’m sure comets have impacted the moon often.

The so called problem with high temperatures not sustaining life isn’t as much of a problem as some may think. A rock eating bacteria could be underground at what ever temperature is best for it to survive.
And even here on earth there is life that can live at what we consider very extreme temperatures.
There is a Hyperthermophile that can live in temperatures of 120 C (248F)

Just food for thought.

Evidence of sentient or sapient life? Much more problematic.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Our gravity plus the Moon's much smaller centrifugal force could produce enough gravity on the far side of the Moon to hold down a thin atmosphere. For those of you that say "NO WAY", please explain.
Centrifugal force? Bwahahahahahaa...You want me to explain something to you when you don't even know the correct term to use.

Sorry, charlie. But here's a pretty picture for you to look at:

Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
So, Charlotte, did you find any alien towns or structures on the pictures of the back side of the moon I posted? I thought not...You can no longer claim that they hide on the back side, since the entire moon has been photographed.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, Charlotte, did you find any alien towns or structures on the pictures of the back side of the moon I posted? I thought not...You can no longer claim that they hide on the back side, since the entire moon has been photographed.
This is true. However, what's released to the public is not what is actually up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6QNz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMLrUR0_-YI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXM1t9SvSKw

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-25-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Centrifugal force? Bwahahahahahaa...You want me to explain something to you when you don't even know the correct term to use.

Sorry, charlie. But here's a pretty picture for you to look at:
I see I'm gonna have to dumb it down for you. No problem; here goes.
Quote:
represents the effects of inertia that arise in connection with rotation and which are experienced as an outward force away from the center of rotation.
Centrifugal force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In "dumb down" terms. If we spin a wet ball really really fast, the water will fly off of it ummmkay? The faster we spin this wet ball, the faster the water will fly off of it. You see sweetie, the centrifugal force of the ball spinning has simply over powered the force that was holding the water to the ball.

Now, let's apply what you've just learned to Earth umkay? You see, Earth is a spinning ball. Earth is a ball that spins much faster than the Moon (if I'm going too fast for you, please let me know).

If Earth's gravity (the force that holds everything to the ball) is having to over power a centrifugal force that is greater than the centrifugal force of the Moon, the Moon's "net gravity" (gravity left over after compensating for a much smaller centrifugal force) might be good enough to support an atmosphere. The side of the Moon that is not facing Earth probably has the highest gravity because Earth + The Moon's gravity are both pulling on the far side.

Even if this hypothesis of mine is wrong, the people that are up there probably has the means to make their own gravity (something we can't do yet).

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Are we allowed to laugh yet?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Are we allowed to laugh yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loOIzpTTeCA

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I see I'm gonna have to dumb it down for you.
Learn the difference between centrifugal and centripetal, Einstein, and what they do. Plus take an actual look at the gravitational field of the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal