Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have two friends and a policeman that said they seen a UFO over a corn field in 2001 here in Tennessee. Myself I would have to see it before I would believe in UFO's. I think these UFO's are from the U.S. Army research department.

News, Documentary Sparks Debate Over UFOs

(July 6) -- It's an age-old question: Are we alone in the universe?

As the documentary "Out of the Blue" rightly points out, brilliant and reputable scientists believe that the conditions for intelligent life exist on thousands of planets. But then there's that other question that separates the scientists from the believers, the witnesses from the skeptics - if aliens are out there, have they come to visit?

Story - Documentary Sparks Debate Over UFOs - AOL News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 04:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
I don't believe out of the whole universe we could be the only planet with intelligent life, I would love to see proof......unless they want to eat me or make me a slave LOL

I think Jimmy Carter may be an alein

Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM

219 posts, read 717,967 times
Couple of things I'd like to point out:

* UFO stands for unidentified flying object - this doesn't automatically mean it is of some extraterrestrial origin.

* Secondly, there is no guarantee that any other intelligent life would be so anthropomorphised as they usually are.

* Plenty of UFO stories have been attributed to natural and man-made phenomena when investigated thoroughly.

* The nearest area that could possibly harbor intelligent life outside our solar system is many light years away - when then requires some method of traveling faster than the speed of light such as the use of wormholes as far as we know. That's a long way to go just to mutilate cattle and stick probes up people's butts.

* There is obviously objects people have seen which they cannot identify, however one need not jump directly to the conclusion of little green men or the like based on some grainy footage of a fast moving disc shaped object.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
Default copy of this documentary?

Did anybody here see this documentary " out of the blue " on Ufo's that's making so much noise? If so do you have a copy you are willing to share/trade or whatever? Please contact me

Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Default Alien Life

In the first place, our government in Washington has some time ago addressed this question. Yes, of course there are aliens, and they are "Doin' the work Americans won't do".

SERIOUSLY, though I do want to believe there's life beyond earth. In the absolutely unfathomable trillions upon trillions of stars and galaxies extending without limit beyond our ability to see, I find it unthinkable there would be only one lonely outpost of life, on a very ordinary little planet of a very mediocre star way out on the fringes of just one of millions of galaxies. This would be far more incredible than the existence of alien life. Since my youth, we've had tremendous breakthroughs and now know with certainty that there are planets orbiting quite a number of stars.
Our "picture" of the "aliens", though, is filtered through our human perception. There's nothing to indicate that some intelligent life form would travel all the way here, then land on the White House lawn and demand a news conference. That, of course, is pure Hollywood silliness. If in fact they had traveled here, there's nothing to make us believe they'd want to "contact" us. Nothing at all either, to indicate they'd resemble humans in any way.
If there really ARE extraterrestrial UFO's, most likely their occupants would be so far removed from our experience that they'd no more want to land and "pow wow" with us than we would want to "communicate" with a colony of spiders, beetles, or bacteria. We'd watch them, observe them, perhaps disect a few, but we'd feel no need or interest in "establishing a personal relationship" with them. It would never cross our minds. Perhaps "the Visitors", if they've indeed come here, feel the same way.
These "aliens", also, assuming they did exist, would probably also be cognizant of the fact that by revealing themselves to us, they would probably also rapidly destroy what little civilized culture we "primitives" have built up over the centuries of our very violent history. It would be a revolting, frightening, and intolerably nightmarish concept, if we humans were to be suddenly exposed to the reality that there was a race of beings that so far outshone our intelligence that we'd suddenly be reduced, by comparison, to something on the order of a rabbit or a chicken. Fun to visualize in a Hollywood movie,perhaps, but I honestly think that if it happened in real life, our entire social fabric would simply disintegrate. We humans simply are not psychologically equipped to accept a place down lower on the "pecking order", or the "food chain". We'd simply "fall apart"....Perhaps our "visitors", knowing this, have elected to simply observe things, and go on about their business elsewhere. What would we have to offer them, anyway?
By the way, though we can see unimaginable billions of stars out there, it's unlikely we'll EVER physically travel to even the very closest ones., barring some new discovery of a yet-unknown method of travel through "Hyper-space". The distances are simply so vast, that even travel at the Speed of light would extend far beyond the lifetime of several generations of humans, for all but the very closest stars.
FASCINATING subject, and one dear to my heart!
PS-- I see no conflict in any of this with Religious belief...sounds to me like "the Creator" could have created a LOT that He didn't tell US about !

Old 07-07-2007, 11:36 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
They aren't green.

But I have seen people who were allegedly kidnapped by aliens saying 'they are us' which makes me wonder about quantum physics and time travel.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
interesting article:

Roswell theory revived by deathbed confession | NEWS.com.au

Quote:
Roswell aliens theory revived by deathbed confession

From correspondents in Washington

July 01, 2007 12:30am
Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

EXACTLY 60 years ago, a light aircraft was flying over the Cascade Mountains in Washington State, at a height of around 3000m.

Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light illuminated the aircraft.

Visibility was good and as pilot Kenneth Arnold scanned the sky to find the source of the light, he saw a group of nine shiny metallic objects flying information.

He estimated their speed as being around 2600km/h - nearly three times faster than the top speed of any jet aircraft at the time.

Soon, similar reports began to come in from all over America.

This wasn't just the world's first UFO sighting, this was the birth of a phenomenon, one that still exercises an extraordinary fascination.

Military authorities issued a press release, which began: "The many rumours regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence officer of the 509th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc."

The headlines screamed: "Flying Disc captured by Air Force".

Yet, just 24 hours later, the military changed their story and claimed the object they'd first thought was a "flying disc" was a weather balloon that had crashed on a nearby ranch.

The key witness was Major Jesse Marcel, the intelligence officer who had gone to the ranch to recover the wreckage.

He described the metal as being wafer thin but incredibly tough.

It was as light as balsa wood, but couldn't be cut or burned.

These and similar accounts of the incident have largely been dismissed by all except the most dedicated believers.

Astonishing new twist

But last week came an astonishing new twist to the Roswell mystery.

Lieutenant Walter Haut was the public relations officer at the base in 1947 and was the man who issued the original and subsequent press releases after the crash on the orders of the base commander, Colonel William Blanchard.

Haut died last year but left a sworn affidavit to be opened only after his death.

Last week, the text was released and asserts that the weather balloon claim was a cover story and that the real object had been recovered by the military and stored in a hangar.

He described seeing not just the craft, but alien bodies.

He wasn't the first Roswell witness to talk about alien bodies.

Local undertaker Glenn Dennis had long claimed that he was contacted by authorities at Roswell shortly after the crash and asked to provide a number of child-sized coffins.

When he arrived at the base, he was apparently told by a nurse (who later disappeared) that a UFO had crashed and that small humanoid extraterrestrials had been recovered.

But Haut is the only one of the original participants to claim to have seen alien bodies.

UFO pieces handed around

Haut's affidavit talks about a high-level meeting he attended with base commander Col William Blanchard and the Commander of the Eighth Army Air Force, General Roger Ramey.

Haut states that at this meeting, pieces of wreckage were handed around for participants to touch, with nobody able to identify the material.

He says the press release was issued because locals were already aware of the crash site, but in fact there had been a second crash site, where more debris from the craft had fallen.

The plan was that an announcement acknowledging the first site, which had been discovered by a farmer, would divert attention from the second and more important location.

The clean-up operation

Haut also spoke about a clean-up operation, where for months afterwards military personnel scoured both crash sites searching for all remaining pieces of debris, removing them and erasing all signs that anything unusual had occurred.

This ties in with claims made by locals that debris collected as souvenirs was seized by the military.

Haut then tells how Colonel Blanchard took him to "Building 84" - one of the hangars at Roswell - and showed him the craft itself.

He describes a metallic egg-shaped object around 3.6m-4.5m in length and around 1.8m wide.

He said he saw no windows, wings, tail, landing gear or any other feature.

Haug 'saw the alien bodies'

He saw two bodies on the floor, partially covered by a tarpaulin.

They are described in his statement as about 1.2m tall, with disproportionately large heads.

Towards the end of the affidavit, Haut concludes: "I am convinced that what I personally observed was some kind of craft and its crew from outer space".

What's particularly interesting about Walter Haut is that in the many interviews he gave before his death, he played down his role and made no such claims.

Had he been seeking publicity, he would surely have spoken about the craft and the bodies.

Did he fear ridicule, or was the affidavit a sort of deathbed confession from someone who had been part of a cover-up, but who had stayed loyal to the end?

The US government came under huge pressure on Roswell in the '90s.

In July 1994, in response to an inquiry from the General Accounting Office, the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force published a report, The Roswell Report: Fact Versus Fiction In The New Mexico Desert.

Weather balloon 'cover story'

The report concluded that the Roswell incident had been attributable to something called Project Mogul, a top secret project using high-altitude balloons to carry sensor equipment into the upper atmosphere, listening forevidence of Soviet nuclear tests.

The statements concerning a crashed weather balloon had been a cover story, they admitted, but not to hide the truth about extraterrestrials.

A second US Air Force report concluded claims bodies were recovered were generated by people having seen crash test dummies that were dropped from the balloons.

Sceptics, of course, will dismiss the testimony left by Haut.

After all, fascinating though it is, it's just a story. There's no proof.

But if nothing else, this latest revelation shows that, 60 years on, this mystery endures.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
just as "man" has gazed at the moon for ten of thousands of years,and wondered what it would be like to walk on it,,,,we finally did in 1969, almost 40 years ago.
in 1869, a 100 years earlier, who could have imagined,,,we'd be able to walk on the moon in a 100 years,,that "technology would advance, so fast, that we'd have the means to do it,,

if our technology has advanced so far ,,even since the 1940's-1960's and even 1980's , who's to say this hasnt happened on a million planets in the universe and yes,,so far advanced we cant comprehend, thier science, as we ourselves, couldnt comprehend, a hundred yrs earlier that we could actually land on the moon..
the universe is "endless" a concept, we cant comprehend very well,,,,,if it never ends, then there must be a billiion or trillion , planets out there with life on them,,,
i totally believe in ufo's and e.t's....i believe james carville, was dropped by aliens, to breed with humans ..lol

Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
I had LOTS of little green plastic soldiers when I was a kid...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
My favorite argument that Roswell has nothing to do with aliens: If the air force really found aliens at Roswell, why would they hide it instead of declaring war on the aliens and letting Congress hand them a blank check to research and develop alien fighting technologies?

That said - I don't believe we are the only intelligent beings in the universe.

Besides, everyone knows that the mice are really the most intelligent beings on earth and are running Earth as a huge experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal