Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Tobias C: You're only one day behind me in birth date (disregarding the year part of it, of course).

I love talking to other people who are around my birthday.

I usually have a hard time connecting with them it seems in my experience, but im always super interested in them, because im curious as to just how much I have in common with them.

I have a strange question since im making the bold assumption that we have relatively similar personalities. Im 23. What were you like in your 20s? I dont care about the superficial details so much, and if youre not comfortable sharing I understand....but like what was life like, personally, emotionally, etc. for you when you were around my age?

Im just curious as to whether my experience is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Well, I'm 64, so it was a long time ago (1969-70). I was having a great time as a professional musician (I still am). I must say that I don't place any credence in astrology, but I don't hate it. It's fun at times. I'm much more interested in the true science of astronomy. On my birth chart, EVERYTHING is in five 'houses' on the right side of the circle. (Maybe that has something to do with my skepticism.)

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you want to pursue an interest in astrology, it would be a good idea to get some scientific founding into it. You might want to read
Michel Gauquelin The Scientific Basis of Astrology. Stein and Day Publishers. New York, 1969. Paperback version: Natl Book Network, 1970 ISBN 0-8128-1350-2.

Gauquelin is often criticized as exaggerating the evidence for astrology, but it is an interesting read, and not scientifically difficult.

His most convincing evidence is that even very simple marine organisms are able to keep track of astronomical movements and events, and would not be able to survive if they could not. He concludes then that life on earth depended on the astrological prediction of events, and humans may have this vestigial remnant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauquelin

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Don't know if this is correct, but I did some research:

DOB: 11/20/1950 7:30:00 AM
Ascendant: Sagittarius
Sun sign: Scorpio
Moon sign: Aries
Mars sign: Capricorn
Mercury sign: Sagittarius
Venus sign: Scorpio

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
His most convincing evidence is that even very simple marine organisms are able to keep track of astronomical movements and events, and would not be able to survive if they could not. He concludes then that life on earth depended on the astrological prediction of events, and humans may have this vestigial remnant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauquelin
Therein lies the problem! I think astrology is good, mostly harmless fun, but it can be taken too far.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Sorry for being MIA- my daughter is moving back home so i have had a busy weekend.*Her strong Leo character could not tolerate her father's controlling, stubborn and lazy Capricorn ways....LOL.
So, since we have two here that have a pair of the same signs but in different placements, Sun and Ascendant, we have a good example to show the finer details of the signs and how they work by where they are positioned and what occupies the sign.
Tobias is a Cancer Sun with (assumed) Aquarius Rising.
D217 is an Aquarius Sun with a Cancer *Rising.
(I'll get to other people & planets later)

The Ascendant and sun sign work close together, along with the Moon and a bit of influence from the other personal planets.
The Sun in simple terms represents the inner self, the ego, the identity within the whole. It shows out place in society and our successes.
The Rising sign is the external personality, the side of ourselves we show the public as well as how we see the external, the events, people and such that we encounter.

And for the sake of understanding at this time, the Moon represents our needs and emotions, the hidden and subconscious. As we know, emotions are quite powerful and can motivate or debilitate us.*
The full dynamics of these three starts with the Moon, yet the strongest is the Sun.
We have a need and usually an emotion is attached. This triggers the Sun to develop a plan to feed the need, when the action requires interaction, it is the rising sign that goes out unto the world to really seal the deal.

Now if the Sun is 'weak' then it may battle with the Moon, the Sun may be fearful and through the rising find excuses and does things that are counter productive.

So let's look at the two signs- as sign energy only.
Cancer - water sign, ruled by the Moon, Cardinal, feminine.
Cancer is sensitive and shy, but has a bit of boldness because of the tough 'shell' they have as protection. Look out when ya **** off a Cancer, they could totally close themselves off to you. This is not an action directed at the violator, but Cancer's need to crawl away to safety and get back to feeling good.
While Cancer is a bit of an introvert, they do enjoy being the center of attention now and then. Cancer likes home, being secure and safe and having loved ones around. They tend to be very caring and kind for they feel that the safe warmth of family and home should be for everyone, thus they often open their homes to strays (people or animals).
The Cardinal aspect of this water sign make Cancer very active with it's emotions- this is why Cancer is the stereotypical 'Moody' sign. They really act out and on their feelings.
The challenge for Cancer can be the ability to just 'go with the flow'.

Aquarius - air sign, ruled by Uranus, Fixed, Masculine.
Aquarius tends to be predictable to an extent, and extremely flighty. HUH?
It's like this, you KNOW Aquarius is going to do something - but what that something is could be anything.
Aquarius is strong minded, they know very well what they like and what they don't. Where Cancer is kind to those in the home, Aquarius seeks to help all of humanity and are often found doing community services or holding a position that is there helping others. Aquarius can be quiet because they spend a lot of time with their thoughts, and can come up with wonderful ideas to make life better. If an Aquarius is not in some sort of field that helps humanity, then they are off in some lab somewhere doing studies and scientific experiments. Science is a great outlet for the highly curious Aquarius.*
The challenge for Aquarius is their good nature. They are sometimes too eager or giving and can get trampled upon by opportunists.

So with the Sun and Ascendant being so very close in purpose, it creates a gray area when working together. Which is the external, ego coming through*and what is the persona in action?
It would be interesting to see how D217 and TobiasC reflect upon their Sun & Ascendant dynamics since they are 'opposites'.

I'll be getting to other comments as time permits- some intersting things said that I want to respond to.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Looking forward to your responses.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So with the Sun and Ascendant being so very close in purpose, it creates a gray area when working together. Which is the external, ego coming through*and what is the persona in action?
It would be interesting to see how D217 and TobiasC reflect upon their Sun & Ascendant dynamics since they are 'opposites'.

Im not sure I totally understand my Aquarius ascendant. Somebody would have to explain to me how this meshes with my Cancer sun sign. I see pretty much every Cancer trait in myself, but I dont know about anything Aquarius. Maybe some of the things about caring about humanity and what not, because a lot of my personal interests revolve around community concerns and what not but I dont know if thats exclusive to Aquarius.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Hi Nan,
Did you see what I wrote about the Sun, Ascendant and Moon above as goes thier energetic nature?
You have -
(perfect, you just listed your personal planets)
Ascendant: Sagittarius
Sun sign: Scorpio
Moon sign: Aries
Mars sign: Capricorn
Mercury sign: Sagittarius
Venus sign: Scorpio

As explained above the rising or Ascendant is out outward ways of being, the persona.
And the Sun is our inner self, the Ego.
Moon is our emotional planet and expresses our deep needs
For the rest of the planets-
Mercury is our brainy planet, represents our manner of communication and learning. It can also represent siblings, but that is less about us as individuals.
Venus dictates where/what we find our joy and how we see beauty. It has influence in relationships (as does the Moon and Sun- but I'll get to that later)
Mars is our 'back-pocket bully' he is the one that jumps into action. Usually when in a heavy confrontation the Sun steps aside and Mars takes charge. When he is in the background he is the one encouraging (or hindering if poorly placed or has any hard aspects) the Sun and Ascendant to "go get 'em".

I mentioned about Mars could have a hard aspect- I wonder about the actual degrees of your Moon and Mars...the signs they are in are conflicting signs, if within the aspecting orb, which with the Moon's orb of 8 degrees, it is very likely that Mars and the Moon have a square aspect.
Now I am probably treading into terms and points of astrology you may not be familiar with, but hang with me here for a moment.
Aspects are specific degrees of separation (angle) between two points/stellar bodies. A square is 90 degrees of separation. (think back to geometry class)
Each planet has an 'orb' and that is the number of degrees that a planet can be away from the exact aspect.
Aries and Capricorn squares as a tough combination- a real head-butting!

The sign energies- you have Sagittarius and Aries, both fire signs, Sag is ruled by Jupiter and Aries is ruled by Mars. Aries and Sag are quite a bit alike but Aries can be a live wire where Sag energy is a bit more mellow and focused, but is just as much as a dare-devil as Aries.
Aries says 'I am' and is aggressive and can be angry. But the good bits about Aries is determination and courage. Aries is thus quite the fighter, as we see in it's ruling planet, Mars.
Sagittarius is more meditative, thinks before acting, but has a vulnerable side making Sag generous to a point of being too generous even with the inclination towards good judgment. Sag enjoys freedom and any restrictions are agitating. Sag just wants to move forawrd without disruptions of any kind. Where Aries can have a hot temper and carry a grudge, Sag's temper is hot and heavy but short lived.

Scorpio is a water sign and ruled by Pluto. Scorpio has a few similar qualities to Sag. They are afterall neighboring signs. Scorpio is well known for it's jealous and secrative nature. (I have Venus in Scorpio too, BTW) Scorpio deals with 'the dead' - death, rebirth, sex and legacy.

And Capricorn, an earth sign ruled by Saturn. Being a goat-fish, Capricorn has the capacity to live upon the land (conscious physical beings) and also exist in the water (venture into the realms of the unconscious), and with good reason for Capricorn's counterpart is Cancer which is ruled by the Moon.
This is what makes Capricorn a great CEO. They are well focused in material matters yet stay connected to intuition in physical & material areas. Goats are tough, they may bounce and jump around in what looks like an accident waiting to happen, but always land on thier feet and come out smelling like a rose.

Reflect upon the nature of the planets in the signs they are in. How do you see the planets working each signs energy? Let me know how you relate the combinations in yourself and I'll pop back in with some thoughts I am holding on to.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Im not sure I totally understand my Aquarius ascendant. Somebody would have to explain to me how this meshes with my Cancer sun sign. I see pretty much every Cancer trait in myself, but I dont know about anything Aquarius. Maybe some of the things about caring about humanity and what not, because a lot of my personal interests revolve around community concerns and what not but I dont know if thats exclusive to Aquarius.
Cancer as a sign and Sun as a planet are both quite internal.
Aquarius deals more in the external and everything around the self.
And, the Ascendant is also external.
I can see how you lean towards everything being about Cancer since Cancer is so caring, but that caring is more directed towards the home and family.
Where as Aquarius takes it to the streets.
It is a very complimentary combination. Not too much struggle between the two.
Any ability or interest in science is coming from Aquarius. Any anger you have towards someone is held in check because you just can't find it in yourself to 'hurt' anyone. Aquarius like to get out and be around people, Cancer likes being around people too but would rather have the people come to the home.
Cancer's can be great party hosts.

As I say, it can be a grey area, for we are looking at the inner and outer parts of our personality as a single entity created by the Sun/Ascendant combination. They feed and build off each other.
So yes, your caring nature is found in both signs, but being active in the community, exerting this kindness is your Ascendant. Remember, the Ascendant is what you show to the world and how people see you.

When a person tries to guess another persons sign, what they are basing thier guess on is what they see and experience in that person and thus would be really guessing the Ascendant.
The only way to get an educated guess at a person sun sign is to know them very well...our egos do not always shine so bright for we tend to hide a good portion of our ego. Our ego comes out like some passive aggressive behavior, we see the action, but don't understand where it's coming from or what it is all about really.

Beings that your Sun and rising go so well together it's not so black and white to see the internal vs. the external. I cannot use myself to demonstrate that better either since my Sun is Capricorn and my rising is Virgo...in fact I have so much Capricorn and Virgo that every bit of my chart has a dusting of dirt upon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal