U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,751,636 times

Advertisements

There is a lot more to astrology than the horoscopes found in newspapers.
These newspaper horoscopes are written based on just the sun and it's position. The Sun is just 10% of the bigger picture.
The horoscopes will only ring true for a small percentage of people so it is no wonder that many people see astrology as a entertaining generalization that has no real substance to it.

In astrology, the placements of all the planets have an influence.
There are personal planets, teacher planets and generational planets.
All these together create a unique map for each person.
This is called a natal chart.

Most of us know our Sun signs, but how many know where the Moon is or the rising sign? These are just as important as the placement of the Sun.

What I would like to do here is not 'tell' anyone what their chart means, but guide them through the process and discuss the nature of signs and planets and how they interact with each other.

So, who here knows what the placements of their planets are?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,796,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The horoscopes will only ring true for a small percentage of people so it is no wonder that many people see astrology as a entertaining generalization that has no real substance to it.
It is not scientifically based, as any astronomer will attest, so how can it be regarded as anything more than entertainment?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Most astronomers have not studied astrology, so for them to say such is like an entomologist saying that an eclipse is caused by the season.
And since when does something have to be scientifically based? Languange is not scientifically based.
Psychology has no more physical substance to it than astrology.

But anyway, this discussion was not posted to be a debate about if it is real or not. So I have no more to say about it's credibility.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM

880 posts, read 1,579,004 times
Exactly. Who even cares to debate whether astrology is real. It came before Jesus Christ and it came before modern science, so for me personally, its credible enough...and if I came to find out it was all bull...then, whatever, life goes on. The proof is in the numbers for me though. The more and more people ive seen exactly match their signs is undisputable for me. People less educated on astrology will always think that signs dont describe themselves or others quite right, but they probably arent as in tune to themselves, or aware of the deeper truths about others, no offense. Just enjoy it. If you want to call it a pseudo-science then so be it. But it is one tool of many for potentially understanding yourself and others and how you interact in/with this world.

I myself am a Cancer. Smack-dab in the center, July 6, and I will attest that im extremely Cancerian for better and worst.

Im not 100% positive of what time I was born but im pretty sure it was between a certain 30 min period and the result is my Moon sign being Scorpio, and my Rising sign being Aquarius. Like i said im not 100% sure these other details are correct but I find them to be believable enough.

Something ive found really interesting as of late is identifying certain physical characteristics of signs. I think its fun to guess what a person is just by what their face, hair, body, clothing, movements, mannerisms, and by maybe just a few words I overhear them saying. Its rather difficult and I dont think one could ever be for sure. Im a Cancer, and I find it interesting, that myself, compared to others who weigh as much as me, I appear way more balanced looking. I weigh 245 lbs, no muscle, but one would probably describe me as "a little above average" at best, probably never calling me fat, because I just dont come off like that. I definitely think that I have a really feminine figure.....as far as mens bodies go, which I hate, because it makes buying clothes difficult. I think its assumed that a typical heavy guy is mostly just heavy in his gut. I carry my weight pretty equally, prominently in my legs and butt, which isnt a masculine thing and requires me to buy larger waist line jeans and pants, because they probably wont fit my legs and butt even though if only looking at my waist I could get away with a size or two smaller. Cancer also rules the breast area, and thats no exception to men. I think Cancer mens bodies have a way of emphasising the breast, in one way or another, whether its by having ridiculous pecs if their in spectacular shape, or by having excessive man boobs if they are overweight. Its just how it goes.

Body rulership is interesting. My Aries friend, (Aries rules the head), almost all afflictions Ive ever seen him suffer are in his head. He suffers constant migraines. Like he has one big perpetual neverending headache. His teeth are also really, I dont know, weak? His hygiene is perfectly fine, but he always has toothaches and even had one tooth completely start rotting, even though he brushes his teeth regularly and doesnt eat anything too damaging. Seems kind of uncanny.

Ive also noticed in some masculine signs, like Leo or Aries, the women look rather boyish, as far as women go. Im not saying they look like a boy, just more boyish than other women. Just like my Cancerian male physique to me is slightly feminine, I think women like this can tend to have an ever so slight boyish physique. And I can identify Leo women by their hair, I think, quite often.

Theres identifiable physical traits of all signs though. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tobias C; 01-15-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM

8,137 posts, read 6,847,484 times
New zodiac signs 2011: Why astrology is even sillier than we thought - CSMonitor.com

Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM

This isnt a valuable contribution to the discussion. We already know about this and its all been cleared up. Moving on...

Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM

14,844 posts, read 15,252,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
People less educated on astrology will always think that signs dont describe themselves or others quite right, but they probably arent as in tune to themselves, or aware of the deeper truths about others, no offense. Just enjoy it. If you want to call it a pseudo-science then so be it. But it is one tool of many for potentially understanding yourself and others and how you interact in/with this world.
I completely agree. I've always been fascinated with astrology, along with philosophy, psychology, sociology, etc. basically any means of learning and understanding myself, others, and the world (internal and external) as much as possible.

Astrology has always been very insightful for me. What I love most is that you never quite learn everything- as things, life, people, are always changing. For instance, I have had many, many astrology books for YEARS and I can always pick up and read or learn something new to fit with the current times. That information, to me, is timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I myself am a Cancer. Smack-dab in the center, July 6, and I will attest that im extremely Cancerian for better and worst.

Im not 100% positive of what time I was born but im pretty sure it was between a certain 30 min period and the result is my Moon sign being Scorpio, and my Rising sign being Aquarius. Like i said im not 100% sure these other details are correct but I find them to be believable enough.
I am the opposite, Aquarian sun sign, Cancer rising.

But definitely, when I read about my planets, or even other people's I look up, it is usually dead on the money. My true node is in Leo, which would make sense- it being the polar opposite of my sign, Aquarius. That is a huge challenge for me...!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,063,871 times
Tobias C: You're only one day behind me in birth date (disregarding the year part of it, of course).

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM

A persons physical attributes are usually associated with a persons rising sign, mostly.
But with the Sun, it effects the area of the body it rules.
I'm a Capi sun, rules the knees, (bones and teeth also). My knees are knobby, and they are more prone to injury and problems.
My rising is Virgo which lends to my small structure and face shape.

It's interesting that you ask about physical features, I have another group I work with and this is the same area that they are wanting to discuss.
I'm familiar with my own signs but have not fully memorized the other signs.
However, I am in the process of writing up a presentation for the other group, and when done I will share it here as well.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah. I mean im not really that knowledgeable when it comes to astrology. More so than average people I think...I probably own like 15 to 20 books, but I dont really know anything about it on a technical level. Theres tons of things I dont understand. A lot of it for me though is just from life experience. I just compare people. If I know one thing about every person ive come into contact with in my life, its their birthday.

About physical appearances though, I also admit I know very little. I would never share such ideas with a skeptical person because I dont have any kind of solid evidence to present. But in comparing people, I feel like I ever so gradually am learning to identify traits. Like I know literally everybody that I knows birthday or at least what sign they are. So in my head I can compare all my Aquarius friends and family and coworkers, along with famous celebrity Aquarians, and it helps create a solid checklist of what that sign tends to look like in my head.

I know I can say one thing about Cancers though. I think were super hard to identify. I think of Cancers as chameleons of sorts, I know I am for sure. I feel like im adept at going unnoticed. Were good at being complete nobodies (not to say that we cant be exceptional somebodies) and blending in with the crowd. If you as a non-Cancer, can identify us, its because youre keen and attentive enough to spot the one person in a group who seems least remarkable. Its not a good thing or a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal