U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 3,599,051 times
Red face 150,000,000 Americans believe in Ghosts?

150,000,000 Americans believe in Ghosts?

I've heard this statistic bandied about lately and really, I was a bit surprised.

Are we really still that superstitious?

I'd like to think not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 AM

18,803 posts, read 6,994,048 times
Superstition has nothing to do with it.

Until you've experienced it, you'll never understand.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,665,910 times
Agreed superstition has nothing to do with it...while I've never seen a ghost and hopefully never will lol, I do believe in them...and not because I watch Ghost Hunter shows (I think those shows are a crock) but I do believe there is currently an unexplainable phenomena going on with ghosts. And no I don't believe it has to do with any religion, gods or whatever.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 AM

449 posts, read 273,833 times
If I may, I don't "believe" that there are ghosts.

I "know" that there are ghosts.

I posted elsewhere on this forum that I have experienced ghosts since I can remember, from childhood. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother also have had many experiences with ghosts.

To compare our experiences to the popular television shows that are ghost hunting is as different as fresh water is to salt water.

Over here in the Philippines, there is a belief in white ghosts and black ghosts (good and really malicious). I have yet to meet a black ghost, and I suspect that the determination between a white and black ghost is in the person who experiences this phenomenon. Ghosts cannot hurt you UNLESS you give it the power to do so.

What is a ghost? I have my theories and speculations. Unfortunately, I am as clueless or groundless to point at any one of these with any kind of positive declaration.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Superstition has nothing to do with it.

Until you've experienced it, you'll never understand.
AISI almost all superstitions are based on some kind of "experience". I've had them myself. Does that make it real?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post

What is a ghost? I have my theories and speculations. Unfortunately, I am as clueless or groundless to point at any one of these with any kind of positive declaration.
Give it your best shot. I'd like to hear what people are thinking.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 AM

I thought of this one most recently, and it involves looking at time differently.

Instead of time being linear, which it seems to be from a person's perspective, time is also coincident, meaning that what is happening now is happening at the same time actions happened a month ago, a year ago, a century ago, etc.

Thus, while I am living in my own present parameters of time, my dead best friend is still living in his time parameters, and every now and then our two time parameters make contact.

Yes, he is dead. For me. But with a perspective that time occurs all at the same time, divided up and parcelled out by humans, I feel that my ghostly encounters have coincided with those time ponts that have touched each other.

There are a few exceptions: friends and family have come to me to say their goodbyes shortly after their death. And then I do not experience them again. It may be that I no longer need their influence or that their influence remains with me in what we term as memory.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 AM

Before that wild speculation, I was more convinced that ghosts are magnetic residues left over from life.

Used to work with the sjuper secret side of national security, and we were always taught that even if you use the latest wiping software on a disk and run it through a powerful magnetic field, there was no guarantee that a few bits of data would remain on the disk. The only sure way to make a disk safe was to grind the recording surface off the backing.

If human beings can be likened to a CD, or better yet magnetic tape, then there will always be a magnetic field. Whatever caused a magnetic field to strengthen and manifest itself, it does not mean that the ghost is some kind of life energy trapped in the material world, but rather a recording that is replayed from time to time.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 909,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
150,000,000 Americans believe in Ghosts?

I've heard this statistic bandied about lately and really, I was a bit surprised.

Are we really still that superstitious?

I'd like to think not.
It's a kid's fantasy. When I was very young my granddad and my uncles would tell these fantastic stories about times they had seen ghosts. On the farm where we lived there was no electricity or indoor plumbing so during the hot months when the house had heated up during the day everybody would sit on the porch for an hour or two after dark to let the house cool some before we went to bed. That was their favorite time to scare the schit out of the kids. I've gone to bed so scared that I would immediately pull the covers over my head to keep from imagining that I saw things in the room.

Now holy ghost is another thing altogether. Anybody who really believes that BS has a problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,424,072 times
More than that believe in god, and religion has a lot more to question than ghost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal