U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 767,533 times
Reputation: 873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
There is no conclusive proof that ufos exist.
There is a preponderance of proof for UFO(s).
UFO = Unidentified Flying Objects.

The idea that UFO(s) are the interstellar vehicles of aliens is another matter altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,665 posts, read 2,722,026 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There is no conclusive proof reality exists either. Everything you and I know is simply electrochemical signals interpreted by the brain and built up into a model, all in our heads. There is no possible way of getting a truly objective observation from a human being.
It's an easy system to fool too, as shown by all those annoying brain games that keep getting passed around in our email accounts.
So are UFOs tricks on the brain or is the entire universe a trick on our brain? My conclusion...the universe is much bigger and complicated than I thought it was before.
Everybody's "reality" is just the model in their head. People don't question it and accept it as truthful and objective. Causes a lot of problems...
The universe is a big place, and doubters and debunkers are selling it short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 AM
 
507 posts, read 632,434 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If they are here, what are they doing besides bellybutton experiments? I would think we would be one of the dumber species in the universes, so why would there be a fascination with us?

And why would they not just steal us and take us to their planet? Are there reports that there are people together during a sighting and one of them is stolen? That would be interesting.

Why wouldn't they go on TV and radio and make announcements? Why would everything need to be so super-secret?
Google Travis Walton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,862 posts, read 11,587,471 times
Reputation: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
You don't have to necessarily match or surpass the speed of light; even astronomers have theories about worm holes or bending space to get to areas in a faster manner, a short cut if you will. Also, we have found a few planets that are at the right distance from their star to support life. Unfortunately our telescopes are not strong enough to get much more detail on them.
The worm holes you refer to are mathematical constructs only. Not only that, but those equations prove that worm holes are inherently unstable and could only last nanoseconds before falling apart. Bending or folding space would require more energy than an entire galaxy of stars can provide. These theories are fantasies, or more appropriately, science fiction, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,862 posts, read 11,587,471 times
Reputation: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some time ago I heard someone say that in our galaxy there are more stars than there are grains of sand on earth. If just a tiny fraction of all those stars have planets around them, the likelihood of higher life out there is huge.
Not necessarily. While it is true that we are finding far more planets than we ever thought was possible, damn few of them (so far) are within the "Goldilocks Zone" where water can remain in a liquid state and can support life.

The Drake Equation, for example, assumes that if a star has planets then at least two of those planets will fall within the "Goldilocks Zone." That assumption has proven to be false. We have found well over 500 planets within the last decade, and fewer than five of those planets fall within the "Goldilocks Zone."

Does extraterrestrial life exist? I am absolutely certain that it does. Is there another advanced alien civilization co-existing in our galaxy? I seriously doubt it.

Our solar system is 4.8 billion years old, but the Milky Way is over 13 billion years old. Which means that there is a gap of over 8 billion years before our solar system existed that other intelligent life could have developed in the galaxy. There may have been advanced civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy that existed billions of years before ours, or even hundreds of millions of years before ours, but for one to exist at the same time as us seems highly improbable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,665 posts, read 2,722,026 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not necessarily. While it is true that we are finding far more planets than we ever thought was possible, damn few of them (so far) are within the "Goldilocks Zone" where water can remain in a liquid state and can support life.

Does extraterrestrial life exist? I am absolutely certain that it does. Is there another advanced alien civilization co-existing in our galaxy? I seriously doubt it.

Our solar system is 4.8 billion years old, but the Milky Way is over 13 billion years old. Which means that there is a gap of over 8 billion years before our solar system existed that other intelligent life could have developed in the galaxy. There may have been advanced civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy that existed billions of years before ours, or even hundreds of millions of years before ours, but for one to exist at the same time as us seems highly improbable.
A) You mean life as we know it - carbon based.
B) You mean they all die off at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,862 posts, read 11,587,471 times
Reputation: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
A) You mean life as we know it - carbon based.
I certainly do not mean life as we do not know it, that would be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
B) You mean they all die off at some point?
Going by the only example I have, 99.9% of all the species that have ever existed on this planet have become extinct. There is no reason to believe the same would not be true on other planets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: NJ and Florida
9,751 posts, read 3,007,815 times
Reputation: 2960
I did see some disc looking things flying back in the 1960's... I was a young girl and with my dad stopped in traffic. We were going to pick up some pizza's in a shore town we lived in. Back then there was huge windshields on cars. My dad was leaning toward the windshield leaning on the steering wheel and he looked up.. his exact words were,, what the hell, flying saucers. . I leaned foreword and sure enough there were five discs flying in formation in a v shape... they were matte dark grey in color and they made no sound..I watched in amazement with my dad. I watched them go toward the east toward the ocean till they were specks.. Now my dad knew there was no technology to do this.. I thought, hey , they are flying these things in front of us.. I thought they were from the government and was a secret. I thought for sure they would be on the front of the paper the next day which was a Sunday. I was surprised it was not in the paper at all. My dad didn't talk too much about it.. he was perplexed as I was and I am sure it bothered him more than me. I just thought it had to be from us. These disc things.. I just didn't believe in another world. Today I still question what I saw that day.. they were discs.. sometimes I think they had to be birds or planes but every time I see a bird or plane in the sky they don't look like disc shapes. I still wonder today. what they heck were they???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
 
16,171 posts, read 5,491,808 times
Reputation: 3951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I did see some disc looking things flying back in the 1960's... I was a young girl and with my dad stopped in traffic. We were going to pick up some pizza's in a shore town we lived in. Back then there was huge windshields on cars. My dad was leaning toward the windshield leaning on the steering wheel and he looked up.. his exact words were,, what the hell, flying saucers. . I leaned foreword and sure enough there were five discs flying in formation in a v shape... they were matte dark grey in color and they made no sound..I watched in amazement with my dad. I watched them go toward the east toward the ocean till they were specks.. Now my dad knew there was no technology to do this.. I thought, hey , they are flying these things in front of us.. I thought they were from the government and was a secret. I thought for sure they would be on the front of the paper the next day which was a Sunday. I was surprised it was not in the paper at all. My dad didn't talk too much about it.. he was perplexed as I was and I am sure it bothered him more than me. I just thought it had to be from us. These disc things.. I just didn't believe in another world. Today I still question what I saw that day.. they were discs.. sometimes I think they had to be birds or planes but every time I see a bird or plane in the sky they don't look like disc shapes. I still wonder today. what they heck were they???
They were flying saucers built by the USAF. They built a few in the late 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
 
2,503 posts, read 1,808,965 times
Reputation: 1718
UFOs?? Really?

Wow. Just wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top