Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A great many of those stars within a 1,000 light years of Earth do have planets. Exactly what kind of planets they are, we are not able to say presently. However, any intelligent life that has advanced to at least our level of technology would not be bound by the limitations of their planet, or even their solar system. Just as our radio and television broadcasts have penetrated our solar system and beyond, so would theirs.

I never said that I did not believe in intelligent life on other planets, I said it is borderline insanity to believe that they have visited us, or will visit us in the future.
That's true but what if they no longer use that type of technology? I'm not saying I know for sure that the unexplained UFOs are of alien origin, I only find it to be a fascinating subject and I don't think people should immediately throw out the possibility simply because they can't imagine another race being far more advanced that can travel vast distances within a short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
There is no conclusive proof that ufos exist.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
There is no proof that life outside this planet exists ... yet. However, that does not mean that there will not be proof at some later date. Considering the number of extrasolar planets we have found in the last decade, planets appear to be quite common. We may not have found one perfect rocky type planet in the "Goldilocks Zone" as yet, but I am absolutely certain one must exist. I am equally certain that alien life, of some sort, must also exist.

I do not, however, believe any one has developed technology that allows them to approach anywhere near the speed of light, much less exceed it.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
There's no such thing as "UFOs". Do you honestly believe little creatures from another "world" have come to visit us? Our unique position in a vast sea of anything close enough to travel to reveals that if there ever were "little green men", they'd never be able to travel here within a time-frame to allow them to do so.
You mean using OUR technology...
A word about the debunkers on this thread and elsewhere: imo they are driven by a desire that it NOT be true. It is scary violates their comfort zone.
Quote:
--- Just as our radio and television broadcasts have penetrated our solar system and beyond, so would theirs.
I never said that I did not believe in intelligent life on other planets, I said it is borderline insanity to believe that they have visited us, or will visit us in the future.
* One doesn't have to believe it, it's not insanity to believe the probability or possibility of it.
* Who says "they" are like us - or even use radio?
Quote:
And probably none that you would accept. What would constitute proof in your mind?
Quote:
There is no proof that life outside this planet exists ...
I do not, however, believe any one has developed technology that allows them to approach anywhere near the speed of light, much less exceed it.
The speed of light as a barrier is old science.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
There is no conclusive proof reality exists either. Everything you and I know is simply electrochemical signals interpreted by the brain and built up into a model, all in our heads. There is no possible way of getting a truly objective observation from a human being.

It's an easy system to fool too, as shown by all those annoying brain games that keep getting passed around in our email accounts.

So are UFOs tricks on the brain or is the entire universe a trick on our brain? My conclusion...the universe is much bigger and complicated than I thought it was before.

Last edited by Chango; 09-10-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Some time ago I heard someone say that in our galaxy there are more stars than there are grains of sand on earth. If just a tiny fraction of all those stars have planets around them, the likelihood of higher life out there is huge.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
If they are here, what are they doing besides bellybutton experiments? I would think we would be one of the dumber species in the universes, so why would there be a fascination with us?

And why would they not just steal us and take us to their planet? Are there reports that there are people together during a sighting and one of them is stolen? That would be interesting.

Why wouldn't they go on TV and radio and make announcements? Why would everything need to be so super-secret?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If they are here, what are they doing besides bellybutton experiments? I would think we would be one of the dumber species in the universes, so why would there be a fascination with us?

And why would they not just steal us and take us to their planet? Are there reports that there are people together during a sighting and one of them is stolen? That would be interesting.

Why wouldn't they go on TV and radio and make announcements? Why would everything need to be so super-secret?
Here's what I think is the honest truth: "They" aren't necessarily fascinated with us; I think alien abductions are basically bunk. The could be from a parallel universe or time travelers per M-theory. They could be "ghosts" of our future like some people think ghosts are a "recording" in the environment of the past.

If they are ETs, and can get here, they can probably go anywhere they want to get what they need and we just don't have what they are looking for. We may be the equivalent of the Gombe Reserve, where we go to see chimps in the wild. We might be like ants in an anthill that are hardly noticed by them. They could be unmanned probes on exploration missions; a space faring civilization would need to send billions of them out, or create probes than can multiply on their own if they ever hoped to map large areas of the galaxy. Hell, the UFOs themselves could BE the aliens; they may be Hawking's imagined sentient energy aliens that live in the center of suns, or silicone based life, ect. Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

As far the government goes, I'm certain they don't know much more about UFOs than the civilians do. They stay quiet and secretive about it because they don't want to alarm the public by verifying the phenomenon and don't want to look weak and stupid because they couldn't do anything about them if they wanted to. You will not find the answer to the UFO enigma in a hanger in Area 51, in other words.

I bet all they have are file cabinets with 60+ years of reports and a team of stumped scientists...

Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

* What's a bellybutton experiment?
* Who says they're fascinated with US rather than our planet? We might be a dime a dozen in the universe. Our planet is fragile.
* Just because we don't have their technology doesn't mean we're dumb.
* The real question is why SHOULD they "go on TV". What's in ir for them?
* Why post in bold garish colors?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
There is no proof that life outside this planet exists ... yet. However, that does not mean that there will not be proof at some later date. Considering the number of extrasolar planets we have found in the last decade, planets appear to be quite common. We may not have found one perfect rocky type planet in the "Goldilocks Zone" as yet, but I am absolutely certain one must exist. I am equally certain that alien life, of some sort, must also exist.

You don't have to necessarily match or surpass the speed of light; even astronomers have theories about worm holes or bending space to get to areas in a faster manner, a short cut if you will. Also, we have found a few planets that are at the right distance from their star to support life. Unfortunately our telescopes are not strong enough to get much more detail on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal