Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

In know you think this should be in the history section. However, it applies to religion as it would prove many religions wrong. We would have to rethink almost everything scientifically, and religiously. This is from watching the History channel show Ancient Aliens.

What do you think about the concept of ancient astronauts(aliens) visiting earth and shaping the world as we know today? For more info on this subject look up Ancient aliens or ancient astronauts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
The History channel is no longer about history for the most part...It is about entertainment.
Until I see evidence to the contrary I think the theory is bunk...Surely if it were true there would be solid evidence, don't you think? All the evidence points to humans gradually developing technology. Had aliens existed and shared their expertise we would see giant leaps instead of the slow progress history records.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Have you watched the series? It's pretty compelling. Almost has me believing. But, I require more evidence as you suggested.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
In know you think this should be in the history section. However, it applies to religion as it would prove many religions wrong. We would have to rethink almost everything scientifically, and religiously. This is from watching the History channel show Ancient Aliens.

What do you think about the concept of ancient astronauts(aliens) visiting earth and shaping the world as we know today? For more info on this subject look up Ancient aliens or ancient astronauts.
I feel pretty certain man has left earth in the past, some use the supposed mystery of Mayans to support this notion.
Through the Wormhole had re-run on just this morning discussing the hypothesised negative-energy and time travel. It's truly amazing and if something can come from nothing surely negative-energy can/does exist.

Negative-energy sort of reminds of the unknown elements listed on the periodic table, we know it's (they're) there because the of way the other stuff behaves around it. We'll find it.

Perhaps mankind has utilised negative-energy in the past, mananged to leave and has returned periodically. Interesting note 10 years of negative-energy travel equates to 1000 earth years. Another thing I've considered is that the earth is pretty small in comparison to much of the universe I would think most e.t.'s would be too large to visit our little planet but perhaps some have been tiny enough to fit. Who knows?!

Last edited by gabfest; 09-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: addenum of thoughts

Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
As long as there's a living, breathing human being who actually uses the phrase "ancient astronauts," Erich von Daniken will never truly die.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I saw about 15 minutes of the show last week. It was the first and last time I will have watched it. They were speculating on the idea that alien astronauts were the cause of mass epidemics. To cite examples, they used the "Miracle of Fatima," a largely debunked, oft-considered hoax by the rest of the world. Yet, they used some of the elaborate stories from the people at Fatima to suggest that the "bright light" seen by everyone was a spaceship. To further offer evidence? They then said that the Great Flu of 1918 that killed so many people happened "X Amount" of months after the alleged Fatima miracle.

That's not evidence. Not even in the slightest. It's kind of like saying the following "The SARS epidemic occurred around 2004. That was approximately three years after 9/11 - one of the worst terrorist attacks to have ever taken place. Is it possible that ancient aliens flew the planes into the building while they were delivering the very first SARS virus on Earth?"

But, throw in a few years of history to make it seem "old" and all of a sudden people start believing things. What especially gets me is the obsession with the ancients - as though they were somehow more advanced that us. In fact, they really weren't. They had an overabundance of time on their hands and their crude, rudimentary devices were ingenious but nothing "extra-planetary."

Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Reminds me of my trip to the Goodwill Bookstore the other day - someone had filed a book on how Sumerian religious influences have been secretly controlling the entire world up until this very day... in the History section! At first, I was excited to see a book on Sumer - until I read the back cover, and perused the contents. Sigh.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
I too am skeptical of much of this stuff and I don't think Hollywood does the theories any favors with their sometimes laughable depictions and interpretations. It does not help when some of these people come out of the wood works and start talking nonsense. That being said, I can't help but wonder why their tends to be these persistent stories from the ancient world of "visitors" from above. Now granted, I realize some of these claims are made by the same people we are already suspicious of, but some we can read for ourselves such as the account in Genesis 6 and I Enoch 6 (not saying the stories are true, but the storyline is consistent with others in the ancient world). I think I have also read somewhere about the people's of the ancient Americas mentioning something similar, at least, that beings came from amongst the stars down to earth.

Now, if they were living in a connected world like ours today, I would be inclined to say that these were just urban legends running wild across a network similar to our internet today, but some of these people probably were not even aware of each other and quite far removed from one another yet they seem to tell a similar tale. Was there a common story that traveled with man as he migrated across the face of the earth, hence the commonality? Was it just a wild fantasy story that scattered with the spreading out of various tribes? This is where I have to put my hand on my chin and wonder, but for now it is JUST wonder.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Have you watched the series? It's pretty compelling. Almost has me believing. But, I require more evidence as you suggested.
Very little of anything on the History Channel is compelling. I suspect that Pat Robertson bought controlling interest in it long ago. That would explain the profusion of crackpots who work there.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Ancient Astronauts...opinion

Every since I was a kid, I believed that WE were/are the "aliens" and we don't even know it. I was shocked when I found out that some researchers actually claim to have scientific evidence of this "belief" of mine.

As for the show, it does tend to speculate a bit too much for some. However, I've witnessed things like "visitations" and "remote viewing" so for me, it's kinda like yeah yeah yeah, what else is new?

To the hard core atheist/agnostic, this is all a bunch of bull; created by man's imagination and lust for making dollars (which there is some truth to that). Still though, there is much to be discovered about this thing we call reality; and it will be the open minds that make those discoveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal