U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,508 posts, read 6,278,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My best theory is that it involves human emotion. Places that have been the site of intense human emotion, places that were extremely loved (or hated) always seem to be the haunted places. Places where tragedy occurred and lives were cut short are often "haunted"; obviously there is a lot of emotion generated by such an event.
Quote:

I think somehow a brain's emotional response and/or memories are somehow "recorded" into the environment and "replayed" under the right circumstances... perhaps straight into the brain as an induced hallucination. Certain other scientific,natural events like ELF waves have been shown to cause hallucinations too. That would also explain why inanimate objects can appear as "ghosts" too; nothing is really there... it's just being played back like a TV signal beamed into an unlucky observer's head.

BUT...
We can't get around the fact that purported "haunted" places more often than not evoke emotions in real people just by virtue of being spooky, dark or even simply by their dark, spooky reputation. There is no doubt that simple fear factor plays heavily on a person's emotions and causes a lot of "hauntings" that are nothing at all.

For example; I've wandered the bottom of the Queen Mary (I got complete access once and went all over it from top to bottom, even around the infamous swimming pool and through the dressing room area) and never saw or felt a hint of the paranormal.

The dressing room area of the pool is a famous "hot spot" that is purported to be a vortex of spiritual energy (whatever that is). When I was there the electricity wasn't working so it was only lit by flashlight; it was oddly proportioned (it was too tall and too narrow), small, uncomfortable and very dirty. The whole thing made for spook effect but it was all psychological simply because of the odd room design and it's current condition.

All and all, I was sure the famous "ghost ship" was far more hype than substance... I doubt it's even haunted at all. Historical, fascinating and sad, yes (most of the ship has been gutted and lost forever), but not necessarily haunted.

....but oh how wrong you are! I assure you, speaking from first hand experience, that there is a haunting in the lower area of the Queen Mary.
That is something I will never ever forget for the rest of my life. Something I very rarely speak of.
I sailed across the ocean on that ship back around 1962.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,508 posts, read 6,278,074 times
Over 2 years and nobody gives a rat's butt. It is my observation about the gist of this forum. People just want silly National Enquirer stories, not discussion.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM

6,746 posts, read 6,411,815 times
Well, you didn't say much of anything about your Queen Mary experience, rainroosty.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
My best theory is that it involves human emotion. Places that have been the site of intense human emotion, places that were extremely loved (or hated) always seem to be the haunted places. Places where tragedy occurred and lives were cut short are often "haunted"; obviously there is a lot of emotion generated by such an event.

I think somehow a brain's emotional response and/or memories are somehow "recorded" into the environment and "replayed" under the right circumstances... perhaps straight into the brain as an induced hallucination. Certain other scientific,natural events like ELF waves have been shown to cause hallucinations too. That would also explain why inanimate objects can appear as "ghosts" too; nothing is really there... it's just being played back like a TV signal beamed into an unlucky observer's head.

BUT...
We can't get around the fact that purported "haunted" places more often than not evoke emotions in real people just by virtue of being spooky, dark or even simply by their dark, spooky reputation. There is no doubt that simple fear factor plays heavily on a person's emotions and causes a lot of "hauntings" that are nothing at all.

For example; I've wandered the bottom of the Queen Mary (I got complete access once and went all over it from top to bottom, even around the infamous swimming pool and through the dressing room area) and never saw or felt a hint of the paranormal.

The dressing room area of the pool is a famous "hot spot" that is purported to be a vortex of spiritual energy (whatever that is). When I was there the electricity wasn't working so it was only lit by flashlight; it was oddly proportioned (it was too tall and too narrow), small, uncomfortable and very dirty. The whole thing made for spook effect but it was all psychological simply because of the odd room design and it's current condition.

All and all, I was sure the famous "ghost ship" was far more hype than substance... I doubt it's even haunted at all. Historical, fascinating and sad, yes (most of the ship has been gutted and lost forever), but not necessarily haunted.
Yeah, but that theory doesn't explain poltergeists, a spirit being able to move objects.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,031,836 times
We (probably) all have seen the movie Poltergeist, and it is implied that external hidden forces were at work. But what if (some) poltergeist are telekinetic. What if a person or people and their emotions cause things to happen. Unlike the book/movie Matilda, most people are not aware of the connection/ability.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Who knows, Owl ..... but that wouldn't explain poltergeists that haunt successive generations of house residents, such as the hotel experience above. You wouldn't expect very different people over many decades to experience the same phenomena if they were individually causing it.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 PM

611 posts, read 203,169 times
I like this question. In my random daydreaming I have figured that in the event I become a ghost when I die--I hope this doesn't happen but those who don't prepare, prepare for failure--I wouldn't just wander around my old house or even in one place.

Instead, I plan on wandering all across America, Canada, and Latin America. I assume I will not be able to go across the Ocean to haunt Europe but if I can figure out a way that's the first place I'm going back to. Well, I guess I can haunt a plane that is on its way to Europe so there might be a way, but again I don't know what the limits of a ghost are. Also, I probably would look for other ghosts and hang out with them. Helk, in a way I'll make it like Highway to Heaven. Instead, I would make it a goal to help ghosts cross to the other side and hopefully earn my way to Heaven that way.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,971,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
We (probably) all have seen the movie Poltergeist, and it is implied that external hidden forces were at work. But what if (some) poltergeist are telekinetic. What if a person or people and their emotions cause things to happen. Unlike the book/movie Matilda, most people are not aware of the connection/ability.
The sequel overtly showed what was behind the Freeling's trouble. One Reverend Kane, the cemetery buried under the neighborhood and the centuries old cavern where his cult lay under the cemetery.

I am one to believe that traumatic events or emotional attachment cause events like such.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 AM

1,015 posts, read 378,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Over 2 years and nobody gives a rat's butt. It is my observation about the gist of this forum. People just want silly National Enquirer stories, not discussion.
Nope, the thread got off topic from the start when someone threw in the 'Bible' here. Some gonad started rattling off verses. The bible also says there are people with gifts. I have always had the gift of 'discernment of spirits', Always! I have to be very careful because I can go to the dark abyss just as easily as I can try remain more of a white light. There are no sides in the universe, it's endless. There is such a thing called conflict though. Much like the conflicting ridges of an earthquake. My first angel(?)encounter was evil.. Very evil.. very dark, very bad and made Lucifer(?) look like a saint.

As far as your sightings. I can't comment because I would have to be there to see what you saw. In other words, I would have to be in the ship to see what you saw, but I can tell you saw something and I know it is bothering you.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-21-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 AM
Status: "Trying to put "Christmas' inside you." (set 3 days ago)

16,118 posts, read 8,281,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I remember hearing a theory about poltergeist activity being more active when the ground has limestone deposits in it. The more limestone the ground has, the stronger the activity is. I don't know how accurate that is but it is pretty interesting if that is actually true.

There are probably all kinds of reasons as to why hauntings happen. Sometimes it's because the living person had a strong attachment to an object before passing, and while in death will still "visit" said object. Spirits can also be attached to people, which I don't know how that happens, maybe through family history or they did something that made the spirit attach itself to the person.

Strong emotions can cause hauntings. brutal murders, intense anger and sadness can sort of imprint itself to an area, and those spirits may haunt that area through those emotions, or sometimes people can hear the screams of the person at the time that murder took place.

There are also hauntings where something like a constant replay of an event that took place every day at a specific time. For example: Say every morning at 5:00 am the same person walks down a hallway and makes a turn and walks into a door, and this happens for years with the same person doing the same thing every day. That person dies, but people might still see that same person walking down the same hallway making that same turn into a door at 5:00 am. There's no intelligence behind it, it's just the same replay every morning at the same time. It's creepy but completely harmless.

That's about what I know about how hauntings happen, and I'm sure there are other ways for attachments and hauntings to happen that I'm not thinking of, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal