Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm pretty much a skeptic of most of it, but I'll never forget my experience with deja vu when I was around 16 or 17 -- roughly 50 years ago. It was no big deal and only lasted for a few seconds, but it was as though the moment was a rerun -- not really that I'd lived it before, but I knew exactly what others would say and do and knew what I was going to say and do. I don't think I had a choice, not that I was looking for a way to change it, and it happened so suddenly and unexpectedly that it completely caught me off guard. I don't believe I even knew of the "deja vu" term at the time.
You foresaw that situation in a dream. I do this on a regular basis -- I'll relive something in waking hours, and remember having previously lived it in a dream. Now if only I could have a dream about reading stock prices...

But seriously, if somebody knows how I can train precognition, I'd like to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,917 times
There are no controlled scientific studies that support such things.
There are many people who do claim experience with such in their personal lives.
With my own experiences with certain martial teachers and the manipulation of chi/qi I think it is entirely possible that supernormal senses exist in some form or fashion.

Maybe it exists in a way outside of what people claim. As an interaction of our own bioelectric field with those of people or objects around us. A connection to some sort of group consciousness that allows access of information not gained by using the normal five senses. Or a remainder of certain necessary animal like instincts that we needed in prehistoric times to survive.

Science has come upon a rudimentary form of teleportation. I forget the exact study but it was using energy or something like that. Maybe 50 years from now they will discover something akin to what is mentioned in the title that exist but only in certain circumstances.

Last edited by nichirenx; 01-12-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Here is a link to an Wikipedia article on remote viewing: Remote viewing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What really promoted all of this was the cold war. We did not want the Soviets or Chinese to get the upper hand. We had to have our own “experts”. Eventually we gave up funding this research - because it yielded no useful intelligence information. We spent a lot of money with no results.

I do not like to say “No - it is not possible”. I think that we should always keep an open mind. While keeping an open mind; I still have to have proof.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
There was a coworker who got married during the time I worked with her. She was a very down-to-earth girl and she married someone with the same personality. Neither of them were the least bit imaginative.

Anyway, when her husband was single, he rented a house with his sister. It turned out the house had a ghost living there. It was a man, and since they didn't know his name, they just called him "George".

George treated the two of them completely different. The brother wasn't afraid of him, so George would just come into the room while he was watching TV and the brother would say "Hi George." He was very blase about it.

The sister was scared though. George would constantly sneak up on her to make her scream ... just because he could.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
There are no controlled scientific studies that support such things.
There are many people who do claim experience with such in their personal lives.
With my own experiences with certain martial teachers and the manipulation of chi/qi I think it is entirely possible that supernormal senses exist in some form or fashion.

Maybe it exists in a way outside of what people claim. As an interaction of our own bioelectric field with those of people or objects around us. A connection to some sort of group consciousness that allows access of information not gained by using the normal five senses. Or a remainder of certain necessary animal like instincts that we needed in prehistoric times to survive.

Science has come upon a rudimentary form of teleportation. I forget the exact study but it was using energy or something like that. Maybe 50 years from now they will discover something akin to what is mentioned in the title that exist but only in certain circumstances.
There are plenty of things that Science/Scientific studies can not formally prove, even in current modern times.

Just because of that, that does not mean those things don’t actually exist. It just means Science can’t formally prove it. Even though Science can’t formally prove it, I still believe in aspects of Parapsychology, Supernormal senses, Types of energy in the air etc.

Similar to you, I can come up with my own assumptions for why it could be true, but that is still technically without formal proof. It is just my own personal beliefs.

This subject of Supernatural senses and Parapsychology seems similar to how people perceive Spirituality/Religion.

Science would say in most ways they can not formally prove those things, but of course plenty of people still have their own beliefs and assumptions for spirituality/religion and still be confident in their beliefs in plenty of cases. And it is great plenty of times to have confident justified personal beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
That would of course be statistically true without claiming Telepathy exists. Cold reading people, guess work and getting lucky would all statistically result in a range of success rates and hence people would appear to be "better" at it than others.

None of that changes the fact that, despite your claiming to believe in such things, there is nothing on offer at all to act as a rational basis for that belief. It is just baseless.

That does not mean we should be unsympathetic to, or unaware of, the kinds of things that can lead us to think people are psychic or have other such powers.
Well, I wouldn’t say it is “not rational or baseless.”

However, I would say it is still an assumption. The assumption can still be rational/not baseless, and be valid, but it still is technically not with enough formal Scientific proof.

That is true that does not mean we should be unsympathetic to, or unaware of those kinds of things and people that may have such powers.

But we still have to generally try to view it in a more practical/realistic way than an impractical/unrealistic way.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
<shrug> Doesn't matter to me what others "think". I wake up about five minutes before any alarm clock goes off - even if I don't know what time it is set for. Set me out in a field and ask me what time it is and I'll tell you within five minutes of accuracy. I don't fly on commercial planes in part because I sense the anxiety of other passengers (I'm fine while a passenger on a private plane). I can sense fields of distress and positive energy. I don't shop prior to Christmas because of the tension in others. There is other stuff that I experience, but it also is of no importance to others.

Does the unusual exist? Not unless you count a society of rational people entranced by a giant mouse with giant ears that sings and talks like a girl or castrato, or one that finds it appropriate to allow ads for sales of catheters in movies on tv, or one that legally declares pizza a vegetable, and then penalizes a student for eating it into the shape of a crude gun and making "terrorist" threats.

No, we live in a RATIONAL society. If it doesn't come from the government or advertisers, we don't believe it.

I could have written your first paragraph, here! Good grief how I identify. I call it intuition; it's just stronger than most report or exhibit having. It seems to be in a stronger mode lately, or is growing that way.

It operates in ways that I do not need it to or could care less about, and thankfully it directs me in things that are very important in my life.

Just yesterday I told my daughter something and she said, "that's funny" but she really meant weird. She then told me that it was precisely the reason she had left me a msg. an hour earlier.

I suggest an ill friend on the phone to eat exactly what she has sitting in front of her and that she just got out of the freezer a moment before. The news on radio or TV is about to quantify something and the split second before they do, in mid-sentence of theirs, the exact number will pop into my mind.

However, I cannot "call it up." It has a life of its own and I have no power over it. We've played with it and like a game, we all get hits occasionally but I've not run to Vegas to test it since it's not that I am psychic, yet family, friends and associates say that I am, at times. I deny it because it's just intuition but so bloody strong.

I don't want to sound like I need to convince others that such forces exist, but I am living one type of it, and just grinning and enjoying it, well except that sometimes it's something bad.

I had an aquaintance say that a quake was about to hit a certain region and I said, nonchelantly and spontaneously that no, offshore Chile was about to go off over a 6 magnitude and four approximate hours later exactly that happened.

Two? or three Easters ago a very best friend of mine and her hubby were in Italy and surrounding regions. I told her that it would be just like God and His sense of humor to shake that area with a 6 minimum for Easter week, and said that there was a quake when Jesus died? if not that or also that when He rose from the tomb, and a couple of days later while they were still in the area, that last Easter quake hit the area.

Why? It didn't save any lives or serve anyone, but this stuff has really happened and still is.

Last edited by TheViking85; 01-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Please refrain from using colored font in the Great Debates forum, thank you.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, I wouldn’t say it is “not rational or baseless.”
Thankfully your unwillingness to say it does not equate to it actually not being so. There simply is no evidence, argument, data or reasons on offer... at least none known to be.... to provide any rational basis for subscribing to a belief in telepathy, precognition, or any of these other senses.

Quite literally all we appear to have is a mass of random events, instigated by many millions of people, which result in a cherry picked anecdotes that seem to indicate supernormal senses.

Yet with that many random events, instigated by that many people, with so many predictions of the future and other peoples thoughts... it would truly be a miracle if you did NOT get a number of false positives and anecdotes.

So yes I would stand by the declaration that there is no rational basis known to me for subscribing to a belief in any of this.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I have personaly experienced precognition, having dreams of future events. My wife has also. This suggests that time is not linear and absolute. I worked with a guy that could read minds. I would occasionaly be mulling a question over silently, and he would comment on my thoughts just as if we were carrying on a normal conversation. He always had an odd smile on his face when he did that.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Anecdote is not evidence, especially unverifiable anecdote. So no it does not suggest anything of the sort.

Further, as I only just pointed out in the previous post statistically your claim is not even that interesting. Billions of people have billions of dreams every day. Statistically some of them are going to get lucky and match future events. There is nothing surprising there, let alone anything to base claims of precognition on.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Telepathy?....psychokinesis?.....precognition? Can such things be? Many of us have had a feeling of “Deja Vu” when we walked into a house or building, and some of us may get certain “feelings' that something is not quite right on occasion. The ones who do typically write it off as intuition. We've all likely read stories about E.S.P., or psychics attempting to look into the future. I would like to discuss the possible existence of what would be considered Parapsychology. For the sake of brevity we'll be ignoring some of the other aspects of parapsychology such as seeing apparitions and near-death experiences, and simply sticking with what would generally be considered the big four.

• Telepathy-Getting information on the thoughts/feelings of others using your mind.
  • Precognition-getting information about future events or places before they happen i.e. seeing into the future.
  • Clairvoyance-Seeing things in your mind that are happening at remote locations.
  • Psychokinesis-using the mind to influence time, matter, space, or energy by means unknown to science.
Is it even possible for these types of old spiritualist beliefs to exist in today's world. Or is it an legitimate field that the scientific community has largely given a cold shoulder too, thereby stifling any real research on the subject. Most of the available research on parapsychology was done in the late 1800's and the early decades of the 1900's most famously by Dr. J B Rhine at Duke University. Can a person focus on another and receive...lets say an image pictured in the others mind? Or dreaming about a future event? Or perhaps moving a glass across a table or affecting the throwing of dice? There are numerous books arguing for and against these senses, and no shortage of anecdotal tales. Anybody here have any experience with this? Any family members that have strange abilities? Do you believe it possible?
Yes ..... I think most people have had experience with psi, and in fact the scientific evidence for some of it is quite overwhelming.

Here's an important link discussing the evidence, and let me assure the mod that I have read this thread now:

"Science and the taboo of psi" with Dean Radin - YouTube

It has a long buildup or introduction of about 30 minutes, so if you're pressed for time you could skip that part and move on to some of the actual experiments that were done, then go back to the beginning later if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal