Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

I know, you're a bit more adversarial than I. For the modern age I think I'm somewhat "rougher" on Protestantism than I think Catholics are maybe even supposed to be, but I'm not quite in the spirit of stricter pre-Vatican II Catholics.

As I'd understand it Sola Scriptura is deficient and erroneous. The Protestant form maybe even moreso as they took out books of the Bible as "deuterocanonical." But I don't know if that is the same as "evil." Now evil can imply "keeping from thriving" or "an agent that causes damage" so it could argued it's evil in so much as the Reformation was evil as the Reformation damaged Christian unity. However the idea that the original Protestant Reformers were in some sense evil, and like I said I'm harsh enough to say that can be consider, doesn't tell us much about today.

As I understand it Protestantism is now more "separated brethren" than "evil." Sure they're deficient and erroneous inheritors of heresy, belonging to denominations largely based in human interpretation without authority, but other than that they're not bad or anything.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Thanks, that is nice to know.

But, many give the impression that says "My religion is better than yours".

Lining up with scripture is difficult because the bible has too much allegory. Why not accept that some Christians do not interpret the bible in the same manner as fundamentalists?
Sadly, many are too busy being "right" to accept this fact

Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I know, you're a bit more adversarial than I. For the modern age I think I'm somewhat "rougher" on Protestantism than I think Catholics are maybe even supposed to be, but I'm not quite in the spirit of stricter pre-Vatican II Catholics.

As I'd understand it Sola Scriptura is deficient and erroneous. The Protestant form maybe even moreso as they took out books of the Bible as "deuterocanonical." But I don't know if that is the same as "evil." Now evil can imply "keeping from thriving" or "an agent that causes damage" so it could argued it's evil in so much as the Reformation was evil as the Reformation damaged Christian unity. However the idea that the original Protestant Reformers were in some sense evil, and like I said I'm harsh enough to say that can be consider, doesn't tell us much about today.

As I understand it Protestantism is now more "separated brethren" than "evil." Sure they're deficient and erroneous inheritors of heresy, belonging to denominations largely based in human interpretation without authority, but other than that they're not bad or anything.
You are correct. Protestants and the reformers are and were not evil. I believe their intentions are and were good and honorable. However, I am talking about Sola Scriptura. It must be an evil teaching since it has done so much damage and caused so much chaos and confusion and dare I say, even caused the loss of souls.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 672 times
Then why does James tell us in the bible that true RELIGION is good??

Catholic religion is the fullness of truth.

God called me home to the catholic church 2 yrs ago. I grew up baptised.

Ironically I studied the king James bible and God through the holy ghost Drew me to Christ in the catholic faith

Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
As someone who has occasionally hung out in the Religion forum and even participated before he learned his lesson, I can tell you right now that a back and forth over your church vs. his church and everyone throwing Bible verses at each other is going to go exactly nowhere but getting the thread locked somewhere around page 5 or 6.

Back to the original point: Who was the guy on EWTN? Got a link to his talk?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Why wait? This isn't appropriate for this forum, and since the end of world didn't happen, and seems always nigh... locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal