Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

I personally believe orbs are angelic presences, but if I were moving into your home, I would do a blessing ceremony - get some coarse salt and flick it all around the perimeter of the property and in corners of the house . . .then sage the entire house and property, all with the intent of blessing your new home.

Ask disembodied entities to depart and angels and helpful spirits to stay to guard and protect . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I just took a picture yesterday of something to sell on ebay. Lo and behold there was an orb in it. I just assumed it was something from the light or the camera. I do not think its anything else. Now if I saw an orb then that would be different. It was not there when I took the picture that I could see.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Had a woman tell me she had ball lightning in her house.. orbs are a common camera flaw.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I personally believe orbs are angelic presences, but if I were moving into your home, I would do a blessing ceremony - get some coarse salt and flick it all around the perimeter of the property and in corners of the house . . .then sage the entire house and property, all with the intent of blessing your new home.

Ask disembodied entities to depart and angels and helpful spirits to stay to guard and protect . . .
I was in the home again today and we took more pictures. There appear to be orbs in other photographs. However, not in the same places! So, if it were DUST, there would only be more orbs than last time, especially in that dusty attic. However, that's not the case.

Why do you think they are Angelic? How can you know?
I always like to do a blessing ceremony when moving into a new home.

Do you think there is a reason why this particular home has so many orbs, and my current home, which we are renting out and keeping, has none? This is what mystifies me about orbs.

The photos are taken with the same camera. The people, if they are in the picture are the same family group. The photographers are one of two people. And yet we bout this home 2 years ago and not a single orb has appeared in any photograph.

Yet in the house we are buying, MANY orbs appear. I am perplexed.

I KNOW orbs are not dust. But WHAT ARE THEY?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I know the story of this house off an A&E program on haunted houses. The Myrtle's Plantation in Louisiana, considered the most haunted house in America. Attached is a description of the place and the last segment is of the slave girl Chloe who accidentally killed the children she cared for. It is an interesting home indeed, but a tourist took this photo and some say it is a ghost picture of Chloe. Look in the foreground under the white circle they drew around the ghostly figure. I've seen this picture a lot and never noticed it before.

AMERICA'S MOST HAUNTED: MYRTLES PLANTATION

Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Orbs are called dust particles by some. I don't think so. I am sure that they are indicative of spirit manifestation.
If you think they are dust or something like that, I've already heard it.
For those of you who believe as I do, but would like to tell me more, please do!
How can you tell if the Orbs are benevolent - or not?
Why do they appear in some pictures - taken around some people, and at certain times, and yet in the same exact place at a different time, do not appear?
When you are looking at a house to buy, and they appear, are they welcoming you, or not? How can you tell?
These Orbs were white, some more translucent, others more opaque.
I can post the pictures if anyone is interested.
This stuff facinates me and I kinda, sorta belive in it. I have taken photos and have had strange things appear in them with no explanation for the strangeness of it all.

I use to live in Northern Maine in a very old house, well over 100 years old. While living there, I use to hear footsteps in the attic and when I would go up there to investigate saw nothing. One time, my son awoke in total fright saying someone was in the attic, so I went up there and looked. There sitting at the top of the steps was a pair of high button shoes! I touched them, they were real and it didn't scare me as much as it made me wonder what the history of this house was. As the years rolled by and I continued to live in this house there were more things that happened that gave me cause to wonder. One time during a thunderstorm, a bolt of lightening came thru the window, blew right by me and struck a plug fixture in the kitchen then popped every lightbulb in the house..STRANGE. I lived there 10 years and then moved back here to CT and since then every occupant of that house has had some big sad event in their life, mostly bad relationships with their spouses.

As mentioned above, I live in CT now, very close to the house in Southington that was reported to be haunted and I do believe it was or is. My son met one of the occupants and when he went over to pick her up for a "date" with one of his friends, neither boy could bring themselves to go into this house..and it was long before it was determined this house was indeed haunted.

Orbs are interesting subjects as where they choose to appear, often times there will be a big event in that persons life..not always a bad event but some sort of "happening" will take place.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM

I KNOW orbs are not dust. But WHAT ARE THEY?

I looked some things up out of curiosity and there seems to be a pretty big polar war among Christians as to what they are biblically speaking so it's really about how you interpret the bible. Some look at it as historic truth, while others look at it as symbolic teachings not to be taken literally. I'll post a little of what I found and then a link to the site which is worth reading for more clarity. I'll give you a little of both sides and let you draw your own conclusions.

THE CHRISTIAN ANSWER TO ORBS

Finally, I would like to answer the question: “What are the Orbs?” It is my personal opinion, that most of the Orbs being photographed today are indeed supernatural in origin. If this is true then they either good or evil, under the authority of God or Satan.

The Bible says that one third of the Angels (created by God) were cast down when Satan rebelled against God in the beginning. Therefore, I believe that both good and evil angels can take the form of light Orbs, as they travel through time and space. These angels, good and bad, were originally created by God as the same type of supernatural being. The description provided by the Jewish Prophet Ezekiel (Ez 1:15-21) thousands of years ago perfectly describes the Orbs we are witnessing today in our photographs.

I believe the appearance of these supernatural Orbs are “signs and wonders”, predicted by the Bible, just like the “Shekinah Glory” Dust. These scientifically unexplainable “last days” signs prove the scripture is true, and the end of time and the return of Jesus Christ are near.
Miracles- Angel Orbs

Then there is the complete opposite theories:
I recently received a letter from a Christian lady whose friend is enamored with "orbs." She asked for my opinion. Here is my response...
Hi *****,

Thank you for your e-mail. Satan deceives many people with psychics, spirits, enchanters, astrology, orbs, ghosts, necromancy (talking to the dead), et cetera. The simple Biblical answer to all of this is that there are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan.

Any spirit that is not the Holy Spirit is a "familiar spirit." Witchcraft can be Biblically defined as "Seeking guidance, information or power from any spiritual source other the God." Hebrews 1:1,2 tell us that God speaks to us today through "His Son," i.e., the Word of God (John 1:1-13,14; Revelation 19:13). So many people are searching for spiritual meaning everywhere but in the Bible. Jesus said in John 5:39... SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES!

Orbs are simply a scientific anomaly, and do not have any spiritual significance. There is nothing in the Scriptures that would indicate being able to communicate with the dead, or that they can communicate with us. In Luke 16:28, we find the rich man burning in Hell, desperately wanting to contact his 5 brothers, but he couldn't. Jesus never called this account a parable, and He used literal names (i.e., Lazarus, Abraham). The dead are either in Heaven or Hell, and there's nothing in the Bible leading us to believe that we can communicate with them. Orbs are not spirits that have chosen to stay behind. Such a decision is not ours to make. If we die in our sins, we go to Hellfire (2nd Thessalonians 1:8,9). If we die in the Lord, then we go to Heaven (2nd Corinthians 5:8; Revelation 14:13). Once we die physically, our eternal destiny is irreversible.

Romans 1:20 states, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." There are elements of the spiritual world that are manifest by the physical world. We can clearly see the goodness of God, and His omnipotence by His creation. Psalm 19:1 also evidences this truth. We can also see the hand of Satan at work today in the sinful world (2nd Corinthians 11:13-15). We read about the "power of Satan" in Acts 26:18, and his ability to blind people from the truth in 2nd Corinthians 4:4.

It is a dangerous thing to tamper with Ouija boards, astrology, séances, orbs, palm reading, psychics, ghost hunting, necromancy, astral projection, and other demonic practices. These all open the door to Satanic influence in one's life. The Word of God stands diametrically opposed to such evils. Our strength as believers comes from the Word of God and the Holy Spirit living within our body. The unsaved world, and backslidden believers, invoke demons when they dabble with orbs and other such evils. We ought not seek entertainment and enlightenment from demonic sources. Anything that is of a spiritual nature, which ignores the Word of God, is demonic. Thus, Yin-Yang is demonic. Yoga is demonic. Spiritism is demonic.

1st John 4:4 is a comforting verse to every believer... "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." I wish people would stop being infatuated with the foolishness of orbs, haunted houses, and UFOs and instead become interested in the Bible. God has given us thousands of precious promises to claim in His Word.

Your friend is into demonism and witchcraft, and it would be wise for you to share some Scriptures with her (2nd Corinthians 4:4; 11:13-15).

Hope that helps a bit...

Kindest regards,

Dave

What Does the Bible Say About Ar

Here are non-denominational explanations:

Orbs are believed (by many) to be ghosts in the form of balls of light. They are life forms that travel in groups and are believed to be the human soul or life force of those that once inhabited a physical body here on earth. Psychics claim to talk to them on a regular basis, and ghost hunters encounter them quite frequently. It is said that they are those spirits that have willingly stayed behind because they feel bound to their previous life or previous location for whatever reason. Because of this obsession they tend to become similar to a psychotic human beings. It should be said that the majority of us when we die proceed gladly and willingly to the next level of existence after saying our quiet good-byes, which means we're off to the spirit world. Then again, as stated, a select few elect to stay behind because of a refusal to move on. Apparently the longer they stay behind, the harder it is to find their way to the next level, which again, is the spirit world.

Ghostly orbs are the most photographed anomalies caught on film by ghost hunters and are quite photogenic (when they want to be). They can be completely transparent or display themselves in a bright solid form. It is not hard to capture them on film in their circular form. It is theorized that ghosts prefer the form of an Orb (ball of light) because it takes less energy thus being the mode of choice among the ghosts. The consensus is that small orbs take up the least amount of energy and apparitions and other fuller shapes take up the most. In the colder parts of the year, it seems that ghosts tend to find it easier to take on shapes other than orbs. That's when there is the most static electricity in the atmosphere. Those months being October through February. It is also believed that they are able to draw on our own energy when needed

What are orbs?

The term orb describes unexpected, typically circular artifacts that occur in flash photography — sometimes with trails indicating motion — especially common with modern compact and ultra-compact digital cameras.
Orbs are also sometimes called backscatter, orb backscatter, or near-camera reflection.

Orb artifacts are captured during low-light instances where the camera's flash is used, such as at night or underwater – or where a bright light source is near the camera.

The artifacts are especially common with compact or ultra-compact cameras, where the short distance between the lens and the built-in flash decreases the angle of light reflection to the lens, directly illuminating the aspect of the particles facing the lens and increasing the camera's ability to capture the light reflected off normally sub-visible particles.[1]

The orb artifact can result from retroreflection of light off solid particles (e.g., dust, pollen), liquid particles (water droplets, especially rain) or other foreign material within the camera lens.[1]

The image artifacts usually appear as either white or semi-transparent circles, though may also occur with whole or partial color spectrums, purple fringing or other chromatic aberration. With rain droplets, an image may capture light passing through the droplet creating a small rainbow effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(paranormal)

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-22-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
In all sincerity. If you are afraid of the orbs - do a little experiment. Go into the area with the most orbs with your flash camera and take pictures before kicking up the carpet/rugs/etc and after kicking up the carpet/rugs/etc.

You'll feel much safer. There is a reason that orbs didn't exist until flash photography.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
In all sincerity. If you are afraid of the orbs - do a little experiment. Go into the area with the most orbs with your flash camera and take pictures before kicking up the carpet/rugs/etc and after kicking up the carpet/rugs/etc.

You'll feel much safer. There is a reason that orbs didn't exist until flash photography.

Here are the results of an experiment similiar to what you are talking about only in this instance they used a flash camera and a non-flash camera to take the photographs of the same place. I thought the conclusion was interesting.

Stereo-Photography of Orbs
(Synopsis, posted 2007-4-29)

In short, two digital cameras were mounted side by side on a tripod. Camera A was set for normal flash photography, while camera B was set to 1/4 sec exposure time and its flash was deactivated. The room was darkened such that this 1/4-sec exposure in camera B would not yield an image, except if during that time the flash from camera A was fired. One flash, thus, positively exposed an imgage in both cameras. After some experimenting, synchronizing of manual shutter release of both cameras worked in over 50% of the attempts. Many stereo pictures were taken this way, at different locations.
Results include:
-- Orbs were randomly recorded with either camera.
-- However, never were the same orbs recorded in the same flash exposure simultaneously in both cameras in the same positions.
-- Occasionally, it non-conclusively appeared that the same orb may have been recorded in both stereo images, but at substantial different location and at substantially different size.

Conclusion:
The emissions from the orbs are highly directional (and coherent), to the extent that they reach either one or the other camera, but not both at the same time. This suggests that orbs are intelligent and decide when and where to be recorded in a photo.

Details of this experiment are described in the book (The Orb Project, by Klaus Heinemann and Miceal Ledwith, Atria Books / Simon & Schuster. They are also communicated by Klaus Heinemann in his presentation at the Prophets Conference on Orbs in Sedona, May 4-6, 2007.

[klaush]

Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I'm so glad I came upon this thread, as something happened yesterday that really bothers me.

I babysit my twin 2 year old granddaughters. I have a video camera set up for when they go in for a nap. There's about a half hour of horseplay before they go to sleep and I watch to make sure no one's trying to climb out of their cribs. I use the monitor every day and turn it off once they're asleep, clicking it on once in awhile to make sure everything's okay.

Yesterday, for the first time, there was a huge amount of orb activity. Big, small, fast, slow, changing directions - all different sizes, intensity, and movement. I really think if this had happened before I would have seen it. The girls had no reaction and the orbs were all over the room, not just around their cribs. After they left I turned the monitor on and there was nothing. This really disturbs me.

We've been in this house for two and a half years and it's very comfortable. No bumps in the night, disturbances, etc. Any opinions or information would be a help. Thanks!
Follow-up....
So this has been bothering me all weekend and I'm due to watch my granddaughters again tomorrow. I turned on the monitor this morning to watch their room and.....nothing. I had my husband watch the monitor while I went in and shook blankets, dropped the crib mattresses onto their frames and in general stirred up as much dust as possible. The result was loads of the same orbs I'd seen on Friday. Just to be sure, I had him go in and do the same thing while I watched the monitor. It was exactly what I'd seen Friday, only lots more as we were both kicking up as much dust as we could.

I'm not saying there are not orbs that are energy of some sort. I'm just VERY relieved that wasn't the case in the girls' room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal