Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I'm open minded, but I have to say I don't usually think of 'dreams' as anything OOTO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Most dreams are ordinary, but not all.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Most dreams are ordinary, but not all.
Yes, I believe some dreams may be supernatural (premonitions) but I wouldn't consider dreams where dead people just talk to you, unless they make a prediction that comes true or something, supernatural.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, I believe some dreams may be supernatural (premonitions) but I wouldn't consider dreams where dead people just talk to you, unless they make a prediction that comes true or something, supernatural.
Maybe they choose to communicate with us in dreams for a reason. When we're sleeping our mental road blocks are down and it's easier to get thru. Plus, we generally realize that we ARE dreaming and the contact isn't quite as shocking as having a spirit show up at the dinner table.

Let me tell you a little story about my grandmother:

My uncle was a Marine. He was in the first wave that landed on Guadalcanal in WW2. He was wounded, captured and held as a POW for 3 years.

My grandmother was told that he had been killed, they even had a funeral. Fast forward about 6 months.... My grandmother had a dream where she was lying in bed and my uncle walked into her room and stood at the foot of her bed. He told her that there had been a mistake, he was alive. In the dream he was wearing a pair of raggedy tan shorts and no shirt. She could see a healing wound on his abdomen. He told her that he would be home but it would be a while.

About a year later she received notification from the Corps that he was in fact alive and in a POW camp. He came home almost 3 years to the day after her dream with a scar in the exact place she had seen in that dream.

He left us about 10 years ago.

I think our dreams open us up to a whole different realm.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
A very interesting story! Oh, what a happy day that was seeing him again!
Quote:
Maybe they choose to communicate with us in dreams for a reason. When we're sleeping our mental road blocks are down and it's easier to get thru. Plus, we generally realize that we ARE dreaming and the contact isn't quite as shocking as having a spirit show up at the dinner table.

Let me tell you a little story about my grandmother:

My uncle was a Marine. He was in the first wave that landed on Guadalcanal in WW2. He was wounded, captured and held as a POW for 3 years.

My grandmother was told that he had been killed, they even had a funeral. Fast forward about 6 months.... My grandmother had a dream where she was lying in bed and my uncle walked into her room and stood at the foot of her bed. He told her that there had been a mistake, he was alive. In the dream he was wearing a pair of raggedy tan shorts and no shirt. She could see a healing wound on his abdomen. He told her that he would be home but it would be a while.

About a year later she received notification from the Corps that he was in fact alive and in a POW camp. He came home almost 3 years to the day after her dream with a scar in the exact place she had seen in that dream.

He left us about 10 years ago.

I think our dreams open us up to a whole different realm.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
A very interesting story! Oh, what a happy day that was seeing him again!
Yep!

After that dream, my grandmother never lost hope. Sure enough she was right, he came home.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default hey're here! Personal paranormal tales.

I guess I should share my experiences, now that we have a spooky forum all to ourselves!

My story began when we bought our 1916 bungalow back in 2006. It had all the trappings for the beginning of a great ghost story... it hadn't sold for quite a long time, even though the market was red-hot, was a gorgeous house, almost all original and even on the National Historic Register. The previous owners moved out the year before in a rush and it had sat empty for nearly a year. The previous owners also refused to talk to us when I asked, as I had lots of questions about the house. They didn't even show up for the closing, and accepted an offer about 40K below their asking price.

Anyway, the first time something seemed amiss was just after moving in. I was walking from the bedroom to the kitchen; all the lights were on and light bulbs starting burning out as I walked past them from one side of the house to the other... first a hall light, then one of the bathroom lights, then the light in another bedroom and finally a bulb in the breakfast room chandelier. I first thought we had a serious wiring problem, but it never happened again. It could have been coincidence, but it was one hell of a coincidence if that was the case.

Later on we'd get little things happening...for example the hallway closet would be wide open when I'd get up for work even though I know I closed it the night before (it happened so much that I actually took the knob apart, checked for any logical reason... but there was none). You'd get the feeling of being watched, once the curtains scooted across the curtain rod on their own as I watched dumbstruck, and another time I returned late to find my wife scared out of her wits... she said she heard the kitchen door open/close and footsteps go across the kitchen. Assuming it was me, she went into the kitchen but found nobody. I came home maybe 10-20 minutes later.

One afternoon I was in the garage by myself when I heard a "voice" whisper something very clearly and harshly right into my ear... it sounded like an angry female or kid, but was otherwise unintelligible.

The really weird part started when the apparition appeared... and it did 3 times.

The first time I was in the tub, my wife opened the door and was talking to me. I saw a figure of a child behind her... thinking it was my daughter (who was 5 at the time), I told my wife to get her away so she wouldn't see the horror of me nekked in the bathtub. She turned around but nobody was there... my daughter was in the front room watching TV.

The second time I awoke to see the apparition standing in my bedroom doorway, she was a little girl about my daughter's age in a old fashioned white dress with a short "bobbed" haircut... She turned and ran down the hall... I literally bolted out of bed after her/it but found nobody. My kids were all fast asleep.

The third time I was building a model submarine downstairs in the boiler room on a weekend afternoon. I heard little footsteps coming down the stairs right above me, and when they reached the bottom I turned around expecting to see one of my kids. Instead, it was the ghost girl, completely solid and plain as day. She had this look on her face like she had just seen a ghost and then she just wasn't there... like a filmstrip with bad editing where something is in one frame but not the next.

The "twilight zone" part of the story was when I went to meet the son of the original home builder (who was in his 90's) I had read in the history of the house that my home's builders lost a daughter in 1918, but the son told me his sister had died in the house. He let me take some pictures home to scan; one of them was of the deceased daughter shortly before she died and I recognized her immediately. She looked exactly what the ghost looked like, even down to the old fashioned white dress. She also looked amazingly similar to my daughter! I couldn't bring myself to tell the old man what we've been experiencing, but I did find the ghost girl's grave in the local cemetery. I practically walked straight to it, even though I had no idea where it was... I also got unusually emotional, almost as if it was the grave of my own child.

I haven't seen the apparition for a few years now, in fact the activity had pretty much stopped until this year. But now it's started up again...

Last edited by Chango; 04-25-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM

... this year a couple of things have happened. First my (now 12 year old) son came running into our room late one night. He said he heard footsteps coming up the stairs from the boiler room (the staircase borders his room), the same place I saw the ghost girl a couple years earlier. He refuses to sleep in that room now (it was the "ghost girl's" original bedroom too BTW, and probably the room she died in.) and we had to switch him with my two daughters, who are a bit braver.

Only a couple months ago I was alone at home on a Saturday afternoon playing xbox when I was startled by a huge crashing sound from the bedroom area. It was literally like someone had pushed over a shelf full of china dishes, it was that loud. I searched everywhere in the house, including the crawlspace, attic and outside but could find no cause for the sound. Nothing was out of place at all.

My wife also saw the apparition; she said she saw a child-sized figure walk down the hall past the doorway of the room she was in, when she investigated nobody was inside; all the kids were outside playing.

Finally, our entire family was watching TV at night; both my wife and daughter (now 10) turned to each other and said "did you see that?!" I didn't see it, but they said they saw what can only be described as a typical "shadowperson" blast across the front room and into the hallway.

I don't laugh at people who say their house is haunted anymore. Something weird is going on. The only common thread I can pick out is that things tend to happen in the daytime, in the spring/early summer, and always when we least expect them. Every time something happens ghosts are the last thing on my mind.

Last edited by Chango; 04-25-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess I should share my experiences, now that we have a spooky forum all to ourselves!

My story began when we bought our 1916 bungalow back in 2006. It had all the trappings for the beginning of a great ghost story... it hadn't sold for quite a long time, even though the market was red-hot, was a gorgeous house, almost all original and even on the National Historic Register. The previous owners moved out the year before in a rush and it had sat empty for nearly a year. The previous owners also refused to talk to us when I asked, as I had lots of questions about the house. They didn't even show up for the closing, and accepted an offer about 40K below their asking price.

Anyway, the first time something seemed amiss was just after moving in. I was walking from the bedroom to the kitchen; all the lights were on and light bulbs starting burning out as I walked past them from one side of the house to the other... first a hall light, then one of the bathroom lights, then the light in another bedroom and finally a bulb in the breakfast room chandelier. I first thought we had a serious wiring problem, but it never happened again. It could have been coincidence, but it was one hell of a coincidence if that was the case.

Later on we'd get little things happening...for example the hallway closet would be wide open when I'd get up for work even though I know I closed it the night before (it happened so much that I actually took the knob apart, checked for any logical reason... but there was none). You'd get the feeling of being watched, once the curtains scooted across the curtain rod on their own as I watched dumbstruck, and another time I returned late to find my wife scared out of her wits... she said she heard the kitchen door open/close and footsteps go across the kitchen. Assuming it was me, she went into the kitchen but found nobody. I came home maybe 10-20 minutes later.

One afternoon I was in the garage by myself when I heard a "voice" whisper something very clearly and harshly right into my ear... it sounded like an angry female or kid, but was otherwise unintelligible.

The really weird part started when the apparition appeared... and it did 3 times.

The first time I was in the tub, my wife opened the door and was talking to me. I saw a figure of a child behind her... thinking it was my daughter (who was 5 at the time), I told my wife to get her away so she wouldn't see the horror of me nekked in the bathtub. She turned around but nobody was there... my daughter was in the front room watching TV.

The second time I awoke to see the apparition standing in my bedroom doorway, she was a little girl about my daughter's age in a old fashioned white dress with a short "bobbed" haircut... She turned and ran down the hall... I literally bolted out of bed after her/it but found nobody. My kids were all fast asleep.

The third time I was building a model submarine downstairs in the boiler room on a weekend afternoon. I heard little footsteps coming down the stairs right above me, and when they reached the bottom I turned around expecting to see one of my kids. Instead, it was the ghost girl, completely solid and plain as day. She had this look on her face like she had just seen a ghost and then she just wasn't there... like a filmstrip with bad editing where something is in one frame but not the next.

The "twilight zone" part of the story was when I went to meet the son of the original home builder (who was in his 90's) I had read in the history of the house that my home's builders lost a daughter in 1918, but the son told me his sister had died in the house. He let me take some pictures home to scan; one of them was of the deceased daughter shortly before she died and I recognized her immediately. She looked exactly what the ghost looked like, even down to the old fashioned white dress. She also looked amazingly similar to my daughter! I couldn't bring myself to tell the old man what we've been experiencing, but I did find the ghost girl's grave in the local cemetery. I practically walked straight to it, even though I had no idea where it was... I also got unusually emotional, almost as if it was the grave of my own child.

I haven't seen the apparition for a few years now, in fact the activity had pretty much stopped until this year. But now it's started up again...
So, what in your life has changed recently to precipitate her coming back? Are you renovating anything in your home?

Gotta say, that's a lot of activity, well written too!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
So, what in your life has changed recently to precipitate her coming back? Are you renovating anything in your home?

Gotta say, that's a lot of activity, well written too!
We did a lot of work when we first moved in... but not this year. We have been stressed almost to the breaking point by non-spooky things, however... our son starting having epileptic seizures and we've got some difficult marital problems we're trying to deal with.

If anything, I've gotta be frustrating the crap out of the ghost because I don't get scared anymore when things happen. I forgot to mention an incident late last year; I was getting ready for work early in the morning with my back to the tub/shower curtain when I was poked in the center of my back, like someone had been standing in the tub behind the curtain and poked me through the curtain. Of course, nobody was there when I looked, but I didn't even get the usual rush of adrenaline and fear that normally comes with stuff like that.

I was literally like "whatever", and just carried on with my usual routine. So yes, it seems you can get used to a haunted house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal