Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in the stereotypical "demon". Elementals, earth spirits and human spirits, yes. Human spirits with nasty attitudes, yes.

If I ever run across one i'll change my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlues View Post
Do you believe angels exist? All life exists in balance, good vs. evil, so, simply put if angels exist, so must demons or non-angelic beings also exist. We don't see angels; we don't see demons; but is that always true? Like the wind, we don't see these beings, but the power of their existence is evident, even to the blind and deaf...
The Bible does emphasize NOT speaking to the dead and probably this admonition may have something to do with the known "trickery" of demonic type beings, posing as loved ones past.
I tend not to think of good vs. evil. I just think that there are different life forms occupying different dimensions that sometimes intersect our own. Remember that even in the Bible, angels are both good and bad?

It, to me, is not a stretch to think of these angelic beings as space aliens that have links to us.
If you consider that we may have been developed by aliens then there would be some on our 'side' and perhaps their enemies are against us.

I have read that Scientologysts and Masons and Mormons teach people who have reached their highest levels that God is an alien, we were created by this space creature. Mormons believe they will go on to govern entire planets.

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-02-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Demon possession is an ancient myth still clung to today - as unbelievable as it seems. I have personally witnessed exorcisms (the pentecostal/charismatic type) and gotta' say some crazy stuff happened but NOTHING supernatural. Ghosts and demons exist in the minds of humans and have zero direct effect on the physical universe. Even though the casters and castees can certainly stir up some dust!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I believe that there are life forms that have never been human some of which are very unfriendly towards us.

They probably pre date Christianity and I would bet many cultures devised ways to get rid of or avoid them as much as possible.

My mom and I were looking for a house to purchase once. The realtor brought us to this nice little place in Clifton, New Jersey. The minute the people inside opened the door I smelled something. I walked a few steps into the house and had to leave, the odor was so bad. Nobody else noticed it. I never had that experience before or afterwards.

It was very ugly and all I knew is to get away from it. I tried to get my mother to leave, but she would not. It smelled like something died and was just left there, I guess, though I never smelled something that had died.

The people in the house seemed nice enough.

In some states you now have to divulge these situations: in some they only must divulge if you ask, and whose going to ask if the place is haunted. Besides, some people are troubled by these creatures more than others.

I had read that subsequent owners of the Amityville house (not all) had some indications of a haunting.

I agree with this "...there are life forms that have never been human that are very unfriendly towards us" and "they probably pre-date Christianity..."

Agree completely.

You can call them demons, evil spirits, elementals, goblins, or Steve.

What ever you call or don't call them, I am sure they exist, and they don't much care if you believe in them.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Demon possession is an ancient myth still clung to today - as unbelievable as it seems. I have personally witnessed exorcisms (the pentecostal/charismatic type) and gotta' say some crazy stuff happened but NOTHING supernatural. Ghosts and demons exist in the minds of humans and have zero direct effect on the physical universe. Even though the casters and castees can certainly stir up some dust!
You mean like these ones? Talk about stirring up dust of confusion... I never could fathom the reason behind Medieval Cathedral's use of gargoyle statues to ward off evil spirits.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with this "...there are life forms that have never been human that are very unfriendly towards us" and "they probably pre-date Christianity..."

Agree completely.

You can call them demons, evil spirits, elementals, goblins, or Steve.

What ever you call or don't call them, I am sure they exist, and they don't much care if you believe in them.
so true!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Demons, possession, devils, are simply ancient myths and modern Hollywood productions..Also gives many something to blame their own bad behavior on.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I don't believe in demons as the Church or Bible teach for sure. The elders of my Nation say there are evil or bad spirits, but I don't really know.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
To clarify, I do not think all or even most "bad behavior" has anything whatsoever to to with malicious spirits. In fact I think very little does.

I think the interplay of demons - or whatever, with human beings is generally minimal. I also think that if you have no trouble believing in God or a supreme being, or "the unexplained", that it's not a huge leap to believe in malevolent spirits.

Some people are "obsessed" with demons, and attribute every malady and human failing from alcoholism, to an out break of hives or a lost job to demonic activity.

There are some monstrous human behaviors, certain murders, mass murderers, who engage in acts of cruelty so extreme that I believe that there is a evil influence, and an influence greater than that of a mortal person.

I also think that people who engage in such things have personal responsibility for their acts and in general, have opened some sort of door to permit this preternatural hatred to flow, and to infect their spirits and minds.

One way to open yourself to such infestation, is by hatred, bigotry, misogyny, or prejudice.
If you have ever seen the hate filled faces of white supremacists, or members of the infamous Westboro Baptist "Church", you might see what I'm talking about.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
believing in demonic possession is not realistic for many people until you have seen one truly possesed----i did sn now i do--i thought my faith was strong until i was asked to assist with prayer over a possessed person pre beginning of an exorcism---i had to leave the room early on and i will never disbelieve in possession again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal