Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've wondered why demons would make themselves known at all to humans. Wouldn't a demon's primary goal be to make sure as few people as possible become or remain believers? But actually seeing a demon would be pretty convincing evidence that at least some of the religious stuff is true. So you'd think a demon would avoid that at all costs.
yes, exactly my train of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There are many aboriginal burial grounds around here, but how often do you here of ghosts of aboriginal people?
Don't know if there is an equivalent in Australia, but the idea of American Indian burial grounds (and the buildings being built on them) being haunted seems common enough as a theme in American culture, even in pop culture, right?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Don't know if there is an equivalent in Australia, but the idea of American Indian burial grounds (and the buildings being built on them) being haunted seems common enough as a theme in American culture, even in pop culture, right?
Yet weirdly I don't often hear about ghosts of Indians. More as it relates to a place being 'cursed' or poltergeists.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,971 times
I've always been open minded about the possibility of ghosts or spirits, but there are so many people claiming to see and communicate with spirits that I feel it's become ridiculous.
Several years ago, when the ghost hunting shows came on TV I watched and found them interesting and entertaining, but then, suddenly, they were all communicating with the spirits and the spirits were responding ---every week?---suddenly?
Now some may think it's the end time and the corporeal world and spirit worlds are merging, and all will be raptured and taken to heaven or whatever. I don't think so.

I've read that in some countries a belief in ghosts is unusual. In the 1950's belief in ghosts was not widespread in Britain, but now a good sized percentage of Brits have come to believe in ghosts and think they've had encounters.
Which country has the highest percentage of people who believe in ghosts? It's the good old USA.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I've always been open minded about the possibility of ghosts or spirits, but there are so many people claiming to see and communicate with spirits that I feel it's become ridiculous.
Several years ago, when the ghost hunting shows came on TV I watched and found them interesting and entertaining, but then, suddenly, they were all communicating with the spirits and the spirits were responding ---every week?---suddenly?
Now some may think it's the end time and the corporeal world and spirit worlds are merging, and all will be raptured and taken to heaven or whatever. I don't think so.

I've read that in some countries a belief in ghosts is unusual. In the 1950's belief in ghosts was not widespread in Britain, but now a good sized percentage of Brits have come to believe in ghosts and think they've had encounters.
Which country has the highest percentage of people who believe in ghosts? It's the good old USA.

I see nothing wrong with that but am not convinced that is true.
There are so many other countries with much older histories than the U.S. so I'm inclined to believe the U.S. isn't leading in the believers. It doesn't matter to me either way. Who does or doesn't believe how I do does not impact my truth.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post

I don't know about that. I'd imagine in some countries beliefs in spirits/ghosts is near universal. In Haiti many still literally believe in zombies, for instance.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
just bek someone is visible is no reason to see them.
plenty we dont see or hear that goes on around us.
we hear and see what we want to.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,031 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. I'd imagine in some countries beliefs in spirits/ghosts is near universal. In Haiti many still literally believe in zombies, for instance.
But zombies do exist! They're just not the supernatural critters we see at the movies.

Puffer fish are venomous. In that venom is something called Tetradotoxin. In small doses it suppresses the body's autonomic functions to the point where it seems that the person has died. Of course the family buries them. Shortly thereafter, they are dug up and the zombification process continues.......

A little anoxia induced brain damage, a little brainwashing and you gots yourself a zombie slave.

There's an older but really good movie about the subject that you might find interesting. "The Serpent and The Rainbow".

Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
If ghosts are real, shouldn't it be easy for everyone to see them and believe?
It's a ghost, not a train: they don't run on a schedule.

Ghosts are most likely some manifestation of electromagnetic energy. Why? I don't know, but logic would dictate that their manifestations would be as random as fluctuations in electromagnetic energy at a specific location.

Logic also suggests that in some instances, the electromagnetic energy may be relatively constant to some degree at a particular location, allowing for repetitive manifestations of ghostly images at that specific location.

There is so little that we know about electromagnetic energy.

You might be aware that heavy ionization in the upper atmosphere (the Stratosphere and Mesosphere) hampers radio communications at certain frequencies. Radio communications are themselves electromagnetic energy, and the are severely degraded in the short wave and AM radio bands, and less so in the UHF/VHF/FM long wave bands.

In a peer-reviewed engineering journal published in the 1950s, it was proven that the major Planets exhibit electromagnetic energy that can interact with the ionosphere and either degrade radio communications more severely, or enhance radio communications. The Planets Mercury through Saturn when at certain angles relative to each other and Earth cause that. For example when Mars and Jupiter are aligned with Earth (0° - a Conjunction) signals improve. When Mercury and Venus are conjunct and in square Jupiter or Saturn (or Mars) communications are degraded. When they are at angles of 30° or 60° communications also improve.

I use that as a partial justification for Astrology. If the electromagnetic energy of Planets can enhance or degrade electromagnetic waves in the atmosphere, then so too do they enhance or degrade electromagnetic waves on Earth, and also in the human brain.

Suppose that under the right conditions, and under certain circumstances at the time of death, a person's electromagnetic energy can be "imprinted" on objects around them, like walls, ceilings etc and that also under certain conditions, this energy is heightened resulting in the appearance or manifestation of ghostly images.

So perhaps a house or building exhibits no ghostly signs, but when people are present, the electromagnetic fields are disturbed and the ghosts are "energized."

The opposite could be true as well. Manifestations occur, but when people are present, maybe they disturb the electromagnetic fields and prevent the images from appearing.

I would like to see some objective unbiased research into ghostly phenomenon, but guess that just ain't possible any time soon.

Paranormally....

Mircea

Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
But zombies do exist! They're just not the supernatural critters we see at the movies.

Puffer fish are venomous. In that venom is something called Tetradotoxin. In small doses it suppresses the body's autonomic functions to the point where it seems that the person has died. Of course the family buries them. Shortly thereafter, they are dug up and the zombification process continues.......

A little anoxia induced brain damage, a little brainwashing and you gots yourself a zombie slave.

There's an older but really good movie about the subject that you might find interesting. "The Serpent and The Rainbow".
I have heard about this, maybe that's how the zombie thing got started, people playing tricks on other's with puffer fish poison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal