U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How do you know that she didn't watch you walk in? Or peek out from behind the curtians? Or watch you on camera? I'm sure she had more then enough time to watch your mannerisms before the show started.
There weren't any. I was actually there before she was, and was sitting maybe in the third row back, I saw her come in. It was a fairly small room because it was part of a weekend seminar, so not one of those huge theatres. Kind of intimate but still maybe 100 people or so?

She wouldn't have read anything from seeing me from the back that had anything to do with what she said - same for in front - she was sitting off to the side of the audience until it was her turn (she was one of four people focusing on different aspects). There was nothing she could get from me just sitting there and listening.

Are you a skeptic? I don't think I feel this forum is a place where I should have to defend my beliefs in this stuff ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Hardly a new debate. Find a history book (assuming there are still people who know what books are) and read about Mollie Fancher.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
If she was really psychic she'd have one the lottery by now and wouldn't have to go on a boring reality TV show to make moolah .

I wonder if her general likability as a person biases people to think she's genuine. 'Oh she's just an average mom living an average suburban life, she can't be in it for the money, fame or attention. Even if she's on a reality show.'

But I with-hold making an absolute judgement. There are things I don't know.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Yeah, I agree for the most part. But, this woman just has a vibe about her that feels genuine.

John Edwards, you couldn't pay me to go see that fool, or most of the others for that matter.

I don't believe in putting your gift on public display but everyone has to follow their own path.
What an unfortunate thing for him, having the name 'John Edwards'. At first, I thought you were talking about the philandering politician from NC.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
I have always thought psychics were nothing more than entertainers - same as magic shows, card tricks, that kind of thing. I can't imagine relying on a psychic to tell me what the future holds.

It would be cool if we could communicate with our dead loved ones or vice versa, but I just don't believe it is possible.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM

12,131 posts, read 8,102,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
There weren't any. I was actually there before she was, and was sitting maybe in the third row back, I saw her come in. It was a fairly small room because it was part of a weekend seminar, so not one of those huge theatres. Kind of intimate but still maybe 100 people or so?

She wouldn't have read anything from seeing me from the back that had anything to do with what she said - same for in front - she was sitting off to the side of the audience until it was her turn (she was one of four people focusing on different aspects). There was nothing she could get from me just sitting there and listening.

Are you a skeptic? I don't think I feel this forum is a place where I should have to defend my beliefs in this stuff ?

I'm not a skeptic I'm a realist I understand how people goat others in. You would be surprised by what people can find out about you from 30 seconds of looking at the way you dress, act, etc. People can hide cameras any where & they are so small you would never see them. I'm not saying she was a fake but odds are against her being real.
And for the record I'm trying to point out how easy it is to doup people, even more so those who are so ready to believe.

Last edited by reed067; 05-02-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Quote:
Love her. I don't know if she's real or not but she sure seems to be.

I totally disagree - if you have that gift, why not share it with so many people if you're someone comfortable in front of the camera? Having said that, I'm not sure I believe in Sylvia Browne's abilities, and I'm not sure why. She just seems out there. I've seen both John Holland and Collette Baron Reid in person (same seminar) and I think they're able to bring their abilities to a lot of people, maybe it's helpful even for people who aren't getting a reading. Collette picked me out of the audience and knew a lot of stuff - I hadn't filled out any cards or talked to any of her staff beforehand.

I'd LOVE a reading with the Long Island Medium - if only!
These shows have a lot of editing, in my opinion.
They pick you out of an audience because they think they can read you and they often ignore those whom they are getting other 'vibes' from.

I went to an open meeting in a spiritualist church one evening. There were between fifty and a hundred people there and this guy had a message for each. Most everyone said he was right on target.

A lot of people with 'gifts' do not advertise.

There is an observance, in esoteric circles, that people who have such gifts and make money off of them have the gifts diminish over time. I think that is what happened to Sylvia Brown (and others).

I knew a guy who would only read for people whom he knew for a long time. He would also give info to the police if he discovered anything, but only with the caveat that nobody mentioned his name as the source. He kept his gifts 'till he died and was spot on.

Please do not think I am condemning anyone for making money on a naturally born talent. We all do that. There is just some strange occurrence that some believe seems to happen with psychics. Some people believe it strongly enough that they are very careful and protective of their gift.

I think reading strangers who you bump into on the street without first asking if you can is an invasion of privacy.
I don't know what is going on with that look of wonderment that sometimes occurs on Theresa's face when she hits it right. She is a medium, after all. I do think it is nice that religious people watch her and see that she is a normal person with a normal family and that she does not do 'spooky' things.

I think she's for real. The show is edited for 'hits'. I would not go to her. I enjoy the show, but shows, just like books, that depict just one case after another end up where they all eventually sound alike and get boring.

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-02-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Well my seminar with Colette Baron Reid wasn't televised and I was there in person so no editing.

But I do think that sure, anything can be edited to seem real if fake - etc. etc. Whenever I watch this stuff on tv I always have "wow, that was cool, hope it's real" in the back of my mind.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM

2,583 posts, read 1,184,325 times
Default What's In A Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
What an unfortunate thing for him, having the name 'John Edwards'. At first, I thought you were talking about the philandering politician from NC.
I believe the psychic is named John Edward.

The philandering politician is John Edwards.

(I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If I am, I am sure someone will correct me.)

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Quote:
Well my seminar with Colette Baron Reid wasn't televised and I was there in person so no editing.

But I do think that sure, anything can be edited to seem real if fake - etc. etc. Whenever I watch this stuff on tv I always have "wow, that was cool, hope it's real" in the back of my mind.
I'm so sorry that I left you with the wrong impression.

I believe your experience was real. I think psychics have a better rapport with some people, or with the departed or the energies are just right or your aura is more open at a certain point in time, etc, etc, etc.

It is easier for a psychic to pick out of a group whom she wants to read than to read people randomly selected. The psychic who has appointments or is on tv doing crowd readings can have the program edited not to show the subjects that she was not really on the mark with.

Psychics are real, it's just not all of them will be all that accurate all of the time (and some say/think if they make money from the readings the inaccurate readings will become more frequent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal