U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,232,873 times

Advertisements

I have a thing for Motown music and Black culture from the 60’s and 70’s that is way above and beyond a casual interest. I start to feel VERY soul-sick if I see footage of Dr. King. I think I may have been a member of that community in a past life. I don’t think I was anyone famous but I do think I may have been on of the people in the crowd at Dr. King’s speech in Washington D.C. When I go down by the Memorials I just feel this incredible sense of nostalgia for a time before I was even born (in this life). In addition to that, we would listen to a recording of Dr. King’s speech every year at school, and I would just start bawling, when even other Black kids didn’t feel that emotionally attached to their own history. Of course people thought I was weird for being white and caring that much but I think the only explanation is that I was alive and Black during that time. There is a chance that I just have a sense of empathy for what Black people have had to go through and still go through in terms of racism, but it feels so strongly like it "hits home for me" that it really does seem like there's more to it than that. Another thing is that when I went to Obama's inauguration, it felt like a "continuation' and not the first time I had felt like a part of history being made, and reaching new milestones in terms of racial equality. Oh man...I'm getting emotional just typing about it here. Lol. I'm going to stop now!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM

222 posts, read 441,861 times
I had a "thing" for ancient Egypt and ancient Greece when I was very young, like elementary school age. My teachers used to think that I would be interested in all ancient civilizations and used to give me books on other equally old societies. But the other ones bored me. I was only interested in ancient Greece and Egypt. Given that Greece and Egypt are very close to one another and well connected in the ancient world, maybe I was a citizen of one of those societies in a past life. Or maybe the whole topic just piqued my interest for some reason.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,452,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It sounds as though that is what it was in your case, but it could be a bit more.

Certainly not everything ot every connection to a previous time that is made can be attributed to a "past life."

However, it does sound as though you did make an emotional connection to another place and time.
To me it seems as though you may have some how connected to the energy of countless woman who were in this situation during the second world war.

Cleaning and music are powerful exorcises that are used in magik.

Sounds as though you cleaned up a storm.
I'm very empathetic. I tend to read the feelings in a room and mirror them. And some people who are off the charts crazy cause my heart to pound and can send me into a panic attack, because I read crazy as intense fear.

Makes doing genealogy interesting.... a few years back, I found out my 3rd great grandfather died a POW at Camp Lawton in GA, and for weeks I mourned him like it happened yesterday.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,772,736 times
I don`t know what to make of reincarnation either. I`m on the fence about it, but try and keep an open mind. I was meditaing one night with a CD trying some self induced hypnosis. I started letting my mind wander back in time and had a vision or mental thoughts of a farmer who was well off and lived in the mountains of Utah. He was conducting some business with other farmers. When he came back to his farm in the wagon, his wife came out of the house to greet him. Her name was Mary. A lot of kids came running up to greet him as well. The man`s name came into my mind.Then I came back to reality, so to speak. I googled the man`s name and found out he was mormon back in the 1800`s. He had several wives but his first wife`s name was Mary. His initals are the same as mine and his first son`s name is my middle name. He had many children. The guy was a very influential farmer who helped a lot of mormons and was well known in that part of the country. Coincidence? Maybe. But that experience has me reading a lot about reincarnation and what the ancients believed about it. Very interesting. But still...not sure.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,970 times
i have had two very heavy-in-their-own-way attractions in my life- one to postwar sixties britain, and the other to russian ballet.

i wouldn't admit this to even many of my friends, because i am the sort of person who really despises alot of new-age hoohah. some people really go overboard with their beliefs, or else don't really have beliefs, are just attracted to it because of drama. some people like to pretend they are witches and shamans. doesn't make it so. you have to be careful who you talk with about these things, especially in a place like los angeles.

but i have had alot of weird things happen re. those two things/periods/proclivities.

i had alot of weird instances that involved brian jones, the founder of the rolling stones. alot of bizarre dreams, stereo coming on by itself, more than i can really get into without writing a huge freaking posting. enough that, after a year or so, i was starting to be FORCED to believe that i either knew him, or he knew me, or was trying to contact me from the spirit world. eeesh, it makes me insane to even write that in a way, but it really felt that way. the "contact" or whatever it was went on for 6 or 7 years. just incidents here and there. weirdly enough i found a forum years ago where a number of people felt the same thing was happening to them, that brian was coming into their dreams and trying to get them to come to his house to listen to his new recordings. (that was one of my dreams about him as well.) but then again, i guess with a dead rock star, its not so weird that alot of folk would imagine these things.

strange thing was, i thought brian was a jerk, from what i read about him. i didn't find him handsome, or really interesting. his death fascinated me because it was sort of an unsolved mystery, but beyond that, i don't know why i began to have this weird affinity or whatever it was. there were plenty of other dead rock stars i was more interested in, so if i were gonna go wacky and imagine some sort of happening between me and some dead rock star i would have chosen someone else.

the other thing for me is ballet. there is something so spooky going on there (and has been WAY BEFORE "black swan" came out ;P) that makes me cry randomly. my first class i sat in on, i found this weird inability to NOT cry. i was just overcome. just like the person mentioning earlier about the victrolia, it was some sort of visceral reaction. it felt VERY old to me, like meeting my family.

i had a dream years ago about being a ballerina on a floor that tilted. i didn't understand that very vivid dream til years later, when i began to really get into ballet. i found out that a raked floor is used widely in the oldest opera houses in europe, as well as russia, but isn't used in modern built opera houses and almost NEVER in america. it gives a better perspective for the audience, but is very difficult alot of westerners and non europeans. i didn't know that at the time. then when i watched a documentary about the bolshoi ballet, they were talking to some former dancers and one mentioned the feeling that he had being onstage at the marinsky theatre....and suddenly i was just gone. i was there. he was talking about those blue lights shining down and i was in tears and so was he. it was the spookiest, spookiest feeling. its like coming home to yourself, a part you didn't know existed. i can barely even talk about that experience without crying. i don't even know why.
whenever i have done my barre, often i will hear a voice in my head saying, "no, pull in HERE. straighten the back. there there". like direction. just a still small voice. sometimes when i have been doing my practice i feel like a ghost. like i am merging with something. but its a very, very small quiet voice. and it only comes when it wants to, and only when i am doing my barre. which i don't do often enough, but meh.

funny thing is, i STILL don't know if i believe in reincarnation or if its just a parallel world number going on.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have a thing for Motown music and Black culture from the 60ís and 70ís that is way above and beyond a casual interest. I start to feel VERY soul-sick if I see footage of Dr. King. I think I may have been a member of that community in a past life. I donít think I was anyone famous but I do think I may have been on of the people in the crowd at Dr. Kingís speech in Washington D.C. When I go down by the Memorials I just feel this incredible sense of nostalgia for a time before I was even born (in this life). In addition to that, we would listen to a recording of Dr. Kingís speech every year at school, and I would just start bawling, when even other Black kids didnít feel that emotionally attached to their own history. Of course people thought I was weird for being white and caring that much but I think the only explanation is that I was alive and Black during that time. There is a chance that I just have a sense of empathy for what Black people have had to go through and still go through in terms of racism, but it feels so strongly like it "hits home for me" that it really does seem like there's more to it than that. Another thing is that when I went to Obama's inauguration, it felt like a "continuation' and not the first time I had felt like a part of history being made, and reaching new milestones in terms of racial equality. Oh man...I'm getting emotional just typing about it here. Lol. I'm going to stop now!
i've got the same thing for doctor king and black music. i feel a real affinity for sixties british culture, especially the mod thing, literally since i was 5 years old . i always gravitated to everything mod- including soul music, the grittier the better. as well as early reggae and some motown, but really gritty stuff, like all the british mod kids loved. still do. always will. and i will ALWAYS cry when i hear dr. king, especially his last speech- "i'm not fearing any man, mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord".

lord that makes me cry just typing it. he was dead the next day.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 AM

17,583 posts, read 21,770,947 times
I have the Martin Luther King - Motown and Spiritual connection as well, but I know I wasn't reincanated from that time because I was living then.

I remember when Dr. King was killed and I cried. I think it was the same spring as The Edwin Hawkins Singers version of the gospel song "Oh Happy Day" somehow found it's way on to the pop charts.
That year my family visited Washington DC and then drove to Florida. I saw water fountains with "white" and "colored" om them and the whole thing was heart wrenching. I was also reading a lot of books set in the South. A Carson McCullers collection. I still love Southern Gothic.

I think it's the Libra in me. Injustice makes me ill.

It might not all be reincarnation.

Nim, I know you are young enough to have been reincarnated - Nighthouse are you as well?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,292,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have a thing for Motown music and Black culture from the 60ís and 70ís that is way above and beyond a casual interest. I start to feel VERY soul-sick if I see footage of Dr. King. I think I may have been a member of that community in a past life. I donít think I was anyone famous but I do think I may have been on of the people in the crowd at Dr. Kingís speech in Washington D.C. When I go down by the Memorials I just feel this incredible sense of nostalgia for a time before I was even born (in this life). In addition to that, we would listen to a recording of Dr. Kingís speech every year at school, and I would just start bawling, when even other Black kids didnít feel that emotionally attached to their own history. Of course people thought I was weird for being white and caring that much but I think the only explanation is that I was alive and Black during that time. There is a chance that I just have a sense of empathy for what Black people have had to go through and still go through in terms of racism, but it feels so strongly like it "hits home for me" that it really does seem like there's more to it than that. Another thing is that when I went to Obama's inauguration, it felt like a "continuation' and not the first time I had felt like a part of history being made, and reaching new milestones in terms of racial equality. Oh man...I'm getting emotional just typing about it here. Lol. I'm going to stop now!
I understand your feelings completely although mine are not for Motown or Dr King but rather for Iceland and the sagas. I was lucky enough to study Icelandic sagas in college and finally made a trip to Iceland to do a horsetrek. It felt like I was HOME!!! Even now, when I see photos of Iceland there is this incredible longing and something in my soul cries "home". And I always was terribly attracted to horses and just naturally ride really well; Icelanders love and were totally dependent on their horses. Seriously, how do we explain this where there is no logical way we were ever exposed to it, have the DNA of those people, or anything else?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,887,181 times
I get fleeting feelings of the 1800s, but I think it's because I've always lived in historic suburbs and have often looked at numerous places and photos of that era.

The strongest feeling I got about it was my first nephew. Before he could talk and barely walk I always had a strange feeling he was an "old soul." He was so keenly aware of things - way more than I have ever seen a child his age be aware of. I remember one Christmas being at my SIL's mother's house and my brother had him standing on the kitchen island counter ro take his little snow suit off and it just struck me like a blow to the head with a baseball bat that he'd been here before. He was extremely aware people were watching him and he was almost posing. I know a lot of kids do stuff like this, but it was just the look on his face or something that I then realized he'd been here before.

As he got older and was in kindergarten and such, he still had this overwhelming knowledge of human nature. Academically he was even but personally he was heightened. He would just do things and blurt things out on a continuous basis that was so over the head of most kids. Very logical, but it is what also made him a riot as well. He has a younger brother, but I never got any feeling from him like I did from James. Ironically, James died this past Thankgiving at the age of 20 - he was the first to go.

As distraught as I was over losing him, I felt this certain calmness inside that he did, indeed, go someplace else where he was needed as he had been during his time here. I say 'ironically' because the only other member of my family I felt this way about was my grandfather. I only have one really good memory of him, but it is as clear as day, however, he too died early at the age of 40. While I only really remember him the one time I know I was around him a lot and he always made me laugh. I too think he was taken because he was needed somewhere else as he was here. I've had other friends and family members die, but never got the feeling about them as I did my nephew and grandfather - that they had been here before.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
u dont know and would be better not to know.
if i knew what lies ahead i would never go there. same is true about the past.
its like reformatting the hard drive, very necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal