U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Reputation: 3871

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have the Martin Luther King - Motown and Spiritual connection as well, but I know I wasn't reincanated from that time because I was living then.

I remember when Dr. King was killed and I cried. I think it was the same spring as The Edwin Hawkins Singers version of the gospel song "Oh Happy Day" somehow found it's way on to the pop charts.
That year my family visited Washington DC and then drove to Florida. I saw water fountains with "white" and "colored" om them and the whole thing was heart wrenching. I was also reading a lot of books set in the South. A Carson McCullers collection. I still love Southern Gothic.

I think it's the Libra in me. Injustice makes me ill.

It might not all be reincarnation.

Nim, I know you are young enough to have been reincarnated - Nighthouse are you as well?
yes. i was born in 1973. and i love "oh happy day". i had that played at my wedding. i also love "crying in the streets" by george perkins and the silver stars. that one is a heartbreaker.

i am also a proud atlantan. hell, maybe in a past life i was so enamored of soul music and dr king that i chose to be born in georgia, home of otis redding, little richard, and dr. king. who knows?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Reputation: 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I get fleeting feelings of the 1800s, but I think it's because I've always lived in historic suburbs and have often looked at numerous places and photos of that era.

The strongest feeling I got about it was my first nephew. Before he could talk and barely walk I always had a strange feeling he was an "old soul." He was so keenly aware of things - way more than I have ever seen a child his age be aware of. I remember one Christmas being at my SIL's mother's house and my brother had him standing on the kitchen island counter ro take his little snow suit off and it just struck me like a blow to the head with a baseball bat that he'd been here before. He was extremely aware people were watching him and he was almost posing. I know a lot of kids do stuff like this, but it was just the look on his face or something that I then realized he'd been here before.

As he got older and was in kindergarten and such, he still had this overwhelming knowledge of human nature. Academically he was even but personally he was heightened. He would just do things and blurt things out on a continuous basis that was so over the head of most kids. Very logical, but it is what also made him a riot as well. He has a younger brother, but I never got any feeling from him like I did from James. Ironically, James died this past Thankgiving at the age of 20 - he was the first to go.

As distraught as I was over losing him, I felt this certain calmness inside that he did, indeed, go someplace else where he was needed as he had been during his time here. I say 'ironically' because the only other member of my family I felt this way about was my grandfather. I only have one really good memory of him, but it is as clear as day, however, he too died early at the age of 40. While I only really remember him the one time I know I was around him a lot and he always made me laugh. I too think he was taken because he was needed somewhere else as he was here. I've had other friends and family members die, but never got the feeling about them as I did my nephew and grandfather - that they had been here before.


wow.
i have met a few kids like that. one of my friends kids, he is about 13 now, but i met him when he was 9. he was also very sensitive, very deep, and an old soul. i was living in venice at the time, and he was living in a different part of LA. he loved coming to venice because, he said, "i have alot of dreams about it. they are all in black and white. its the early sixties. i was here".

spooky.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,154,440 times
Reputation: 5622
Ever since I was young, I have been drawn to shows and movies about Manhattan, art deco furnishings and pre-WWII architecture. I used to chalk this up to nostalgia from watching old 30's and 40's film noir with my father growing up. That was until I visited New York City for the first time.

I was born in Toronto, grew up in its subburbs and commute there to work every day. As such, I have a fairly intimite knowledge of the city, it's attractions and its layout. However when I travelled to Manhattan for the first time, it was like I had lived there for 20 years. I just knew where things were and how to get to them. It was so uncanny, my wife became convinced I had lived there before in a past life. She said she didn't know why she brought a guidebook - she merely had to name a place of interest and somehow I knew how to get to it. The entire time I have spent in that city, it really felt like "home" to me. It was very, very odd to say the least.

I don't know if any of that can be chalked up to reincarnation or not, but I do know that the city felt so "right" to me, that my wife and I married there last month.

Last edited by Annuvin; 06-18-2012 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Reputation: 44317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Ever since I was young, I have been drawn to shows and movies about Manhattan, art deco furnishings and pre-WWII architecture. I used to chalk this up to nostalgia from watching old 30's and 40's film noir with my father growing up. That was until I visited New York City for the first time.

I was born in Toronto, grew up in its subburbs and commute there to work every day. As such, I have a fairly intimite knowledge of the city, it's attractions and its layout. However when I travelled to Manhattan for the first time, it was like I had lived there for 20 years. I just knew where things were and how to get to them. It was so uncanny, my wife became convinced I had lived there before in a past life. She said she didn't know why she brought a guidebook - she merely had to name a place of interest and somehow I knew how to get to it. The entire time I have spent in that city, it really felt like "home" to me. It was very, very odd to say the least.

I don't know if any of that can be chalked up to reincarnation or not, but I do know that the city felt so "right" to me, that my wife and I married there last month.
I know that feeling. I think it's real in your case.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 AM
 
1,696 posts, read 2,289,411 times
Reputation: 4788
the other thing for me is ballet. there is something so spooky going on there (and has been WAY BEFORE "black swan" came out ;P) that makes me cry randomly. my first class i sat in on, i found this weird inability to NOT cry. i was just overcome. just like the person mentioning earlier about the victrolia, it was some sort of visceral reaction. it felt VERY old to me, like meeting my family.

i had a dream years ago about being a ballerina on a floor that tilted. i didn't understand that very vivid dream til years later, when i began to really get into ballet. i found out that a raked floor is used widely in the oldest opera houses in europe, as well as russia, but isn't used in modern built opera houses and almost NEVER in america. it gives a better perspective for the audience, but is very difficult alot of westerners and non europeans. i didn't know that at the time. then when i watched a documentary about the bolshoi ballet, they were talking to some former dancers and one mentioned the feeling that he had being onstage at the marinsky theatre....and suddenly i was just gone. i was there. he was talking about those blue lights shining down and i was in tears and so was he. it was the spookiest, spookiest feeling. its like coming home to yourself, a part you didn't know existed. i can barely even talk about that experience without crying. i don't even know why.
whenever i have done my barre, often i will hear a voice in my head saying, "no, pull in HERE. straighten the back. there there". like direction. just a still small voice. sometimes when i have been doing my practice i feel like a ghost. like i am merging with something. but its a very, very small quiet voice. and it only comes when it wants to, and only when i am doing my barre. which i don't do often enough, but meh.

funny thing is, i STILL don't know if i believe in reincarnation or if its just a parallel world number going on.[/quote]


I understand completely. I was put into ballet class when I was 4 years old and studied until I was into my late 40's. I LOVE it and was always obsessed with the early 1900's and when I learned about it, the Ballet Russe. I actually seems to have these weird flashback memories every now and then. I know the emotional connection - it is too strong to even talk about. It must have been a glorious time in which to perform - I wish I could remember it better. Have you seen the movie Nijinsky? You MUST buy it on DVD.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: in your dreams
10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Reputation: 15317
When I was about 4yrs old, my cousin was talking about George Washington and how "he never told a lie."
I specifically remember telling myself "In my next life, I will not do that...How I even got the concept of reincarnation in my mind at that age is beyond me.

There were a couple incidences from around the age of 3-5 that were also strange, but it would just take too long for me to explain....



I've also had dreams where I am clearly not myself, and not even speaking my own language. These usually take place in what can only be described as some sort of middle eastern town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Reputation: 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post


I understand completely. I was put into ballet class when I was 4 years old and studied until I was into my late 40's. I LOVE it and was always obsessed with the early 1900's and when I learned about it, the Ballet Russe. I actually seems to have these weird flashback memories every now and then. I know the emotional connection - it is too strong to even talk about. It must have been a glorious time in which to perform - I wish I could remember it better. Have you seen the movie Nijinsky? You MUST buy it on DVD.
i have tried to find that film and been unable to!!! and yes, it IS too strong to even talk about. i can never talk about that moment in the blue lights without crying. hell, even writing it i am choking back tears. its like finding your mother or something. something old and warm and beautiful and long lost.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have the Martin Luther King - Motown and Spiritual connection as well, but I know I wasn't reincanated from that time because I was living then.

I remember when Dr. King was killed and I cried. I think it was the same spring as The Edwin Hawkins Singers version of the gospel song "Oh Happy Day" somehow found it's way on to the pop charts.
That year my family visited Washington DC and then drove to Florida. I saw water fountains with "white" and "colored" om them and the whole thing was heart wrenching. I was also reading a lot of books set in the South. A Carson McCullers collection. I still love Southern Gothic.

I think it's the Libra in me. Injustice makes me ill.

It might not all be reincarnation.

Nim, I know you are young enough to have been reincarnated - Nighthouse are you as well?
Right. I'm not sure if it's reincarnation or not, but I definitely have some kind of connection there, for whatever reason. I've just considered it might be reincarnation, but wouldn't bet on it or anything.

I was born in 1989 so I could have easily been reincarnated and even spent some time hanging around wherever we go between earthly lives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,585,011 times
Reputation: 1413
Philadelphia, PA. I have definite "Cell memory" of living in Philly during the colonial period. During an elementary school trip to the liberty bell, we visited a home. I was nine years old at the time. I recognized the home, knew where things were, and had a very "familial" feel to it. I had memories of being in a dress and bonnet with my sister in the backyard. I had no idea what "dejavu" meant at the age. All I knew is that the home we visited was MY home from that time period.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 AM
 
2,319 posts, read 1,980,315 times
Reputation: 3812
Quote:
There is a theory of ancestral memory. That is, were inherit our ancestor's memories and what we think is reincarnation and other lives is actually that. Then, there are other theories, based on quantum theory, that we can be reincarnated forward or backward in time.

Regardless, no one can prove any of it - but it sure does explain some of our abilities, our memories of things we should not have memories of, and the fact we are so very attracted to some things.
I think there is a lot to be said for this. I feel very, very emotional and strangely giddy when I'm in northern Scotland, and that's where many of my ancestors lived for hundreds of years.

The only other place that resonates with me is Russia, and it feels like the 1910s-1920s. I have no recent ancestral lineage (up to 500 years ago) in that area, and I don't have a feeling for who I was or any clue why I feel so connected.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top