U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 AM

8,809 posts, read 15,145,030 times

Advertisements

Do they have a day job in the afterlife so they have to wait til they get home to start haunting?
I've often wondered about that. All the weird stuff doesn't start happening until late. The majority of the time I feel a weird presence in my home is usually after midnight til about 4:30 or 5am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:47 AM

157 posts, read 212,859 times
cuz its night

/thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 6,916,308 times
I've had daytime experiences too but possibly night because that's when things are the most serene and quiet. If a spirit wants the attention then night is when they would get noticed more.
I pay attention to the signs all the time which is probably why mine happen day or night.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM

10,975 posts, read 9,451,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Do they have a day job in the afterlife so they have to wait til they get home to start haunting?
I've often wondered about that. All the weird stuff doesn't start happening until late. The majority of the time I feel a weird presence in my home is usually after midnight til about 4:30 or 5am.

LOL - "do they have a day job" - that;s so funny!

I think that there are two reasons. One, in the day we are busy and active, interacting with others and the world around us. It's noisy and bright where ever we are.

If a ghost is present, we may not notice.

The other is a question that has been pondered by many in the metaphysical community. The hours between 12 midnight and 5 AM are the hours that you are most likely to see a ghost or to encounter a paranormal event of some sort.

The most active time seems to be between 3AM and 4 AM.
....NOW

Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 967,526 times
In my experience, they are as active during the day as at night but I think we tend to notice them more at night because it is more quiet and there are fewer distractions. Another theory: if ghostly manifestations do have to do with dimensions/time-space, then perhaps the absence of light changes the vibrations or something and bodiless spirits can move around more easily.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM

11,290 posts, read 9,897,515 times
Default Why do ghosts mainly haunt at night?

They don't! Some of the most interesting activity at my "haunted" house has been in the middle of the day.

The "textbook" (if there was a textbook for this kind of thing) reason for increased ghostly nocturnal activity is because it's more quiet and eaiser to notice little things.

The psychological reason is also because it's more quiet and easy to notice otherwise mundane noises, plus that it's dark, humans have a natural fear of the dark and popular culture suggests scary stuff happens at night, in the dark.

I think there is no real rhyme or reason for the timing of ghostly activity, and plain old psychology slants the stats to make it look like there is a real "witching hour".

Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,421,511 times
Hey, they're spirits, the ultimate retirement. They do things when THEY want to.

Seriously though, those in spirit are always around us. It's possible that some of the people we see in the course of the day are among the living and some are not.

Ya just never know......

Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM

872 posts, read 2,111,982 times
I'm sure they are always there, but maybe our senses are hightened when it's dark/night. People do have experiences during the day too.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM

565 posts, read 1,052,368 times
Why do ghost haunt at night?

Because that is when the living "hunt" them.

Take the show "Ghost Hunters" as an example.

How many times have they gone into a business/office/museum, where they are told something along the lines of....

Well, every day at about three in the afternoon, the ghost walks out of the wall, dances to the coffee pot, pours a cup and then dances back to the wall, where he disappears.

That's GREAT, we'll set up our cameras at 2 am....

HUH!

If people are reporting the event during the day....Why not hunt it during the day.

My theory is that the darkness adds to the air of mystery....and better ratings.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,014,632 times
All my ghost experiences have happened during the day.
The whole at night thing is repeated several times above....
But another thought to add to that, if ghost energy (transmissions) is relative in any way to radio waves, then it is possible that they are more 'powerful' at night.
The hours between 3am and 4am are the coldest of the day, it's when the air is the most still.
And that is related to the sun's radiant energy.
All could be factors, but I think it's more that we just don't notice things so much during the day.
(oh- just reminded of a good daytime, busy place ghost story for later- have a speech to write ATM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal