U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 AM

14,395 posts, read 11,709,233 times

Advertisements

In my 65 years I have had very few unexplained mysteries. I once had a hemorrhoid operation and (to this date) I do not know if I passed out from the pain or the anesthesia. However; there is one unexplained mystery that I did experience and I would love some feedback on the subject of psychosomatic healing. I made the following post back in September of 2011 on the health forum and I am still looking for answers:

“When I was 19 I was plagued by plantar warts on my feet. I had almost 100 of them - about fifty on each foot. Some were almost half an inch in diameter and half an inch deep. It was very painful and I wore special cleats on my shoes so the front of my foot did not touch the ground.

I went to a local dermatologist that told me she could remove them with an operation. She also told me that she had read a journal that said the virus could be removed with a red dye. The idea was that the virus would be attracted to the dye and leave my feet. I knew the operation would be very painful - so; I figured I would try the dye. This was back in 1966. I applied the dye which was a iridescent, purple/red dye, after every shower. In two weeks I had no warts left on my feet.

To this day; I do not know if it was not just psychosomatic or if the dye actually worked. I was in the military, at that time, and did not go back and thank my dermatologist. She retired before I ever had a chance to contact her. I did have the pressure of the pending operation playing on my mind. She also sounded very plausible with her explanation of the dye and the results. I think the dye was a sulfate base - maybe similar to a dye they use on horses? However; I was young and dumb and there was no internet.

So; what do you think?”

Here is a link to the post I made: Psychosomatic healing, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,146,568 times
I don't think I can help... I'm just amused at the timing. I have a wart on my thumb and just got done dying a bunch of shirts red...maybe the wart will go away.
Warts do go away on thier own, could have been timing. There is gentain violet that stains really bad and is of course violet and that stuff is used for fungal infections.

I do think that we have the power to heal ourselves. There are quite a few stories about people having some disease that gives them X days to live and they just want to live so bad that they are unexplainably cured.
Then there is the placebo effect.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM

900 posts, read 1,494,915 times
Im not sure about healing , specificaly , it sounds like the dye worked. I do believe in the mind helping. You believed it would work , so it did. I always believed I could get in shape and stay in shape when ever I wanted. I dieted , exercised and have been thin for 3 years with very little effort. I believe it's my belief that makes it "easy". Come to think of it , I did have an incident , also with my feet. The doctor was not optimistic. I told her , I heal fast. And I did. Never told her , but I think she would have been surprised. Your thoughts ARE powerful. And more minor problem on my feet than plantar warts. Glad you are better.

Last edited by maddog1; 05-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: duh , I was partly healed due to my mind

Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,001,290 times
There are probably threads like this in the Religion Forum about faith healing. I've never had a healing that was anything other than normal physiological healing but there are millions of people who say they have been healed with prayer.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Over the years I have tried to find any research on dyes and viruses. I am just a layman. I had some college - but used my hands to make a living. I could kick myself for not going back to the original dermatologist. It is one of those unexplained mysteries that will haunt me to the grave.

Viruses are considerably smaller than bacteria and some even argue if they are actually alive. I would like to think that viruses could be attracted to a dye. But; I am pretty sure that they could not ‘see’ any particular color. There could be other factors - such as the PH of the dye?

Psychosomatic is hard to prove. I have seen studies that talk about the power of prayer or the power of positive thinking on healing. Some individuals just naturally heal faster than others. I think that it would be very hard to prove one particular case. Statistics might point us in that direction - but they are not unequivocal proof.

The speed, that the clusters of plantar warts disappeared, amazed me back in 1966. It took several years for them to get as bad as they were when I sought medical help. The dye was the only thing that I did differently during the two week period before they disappeared. They also left no scarring - which I would have expected.

I keep looking for answers and I keep hoping that I will bump into somebody that has had a similar experience or somebody that has research on the subject.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,473,957 times
I don't believe in faith healing at all.

What I do believe is that our mind/body connection is an amazing thing. Perhaps your belief that the dye treatment would work started something that actually made it work.

I would love to know what type of dye she used. I'm getting tired of having Elroy, my pet wart, frozen.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I don't believe in faith healing at all.

What I do believe is that our mind/body connection is an amazing thing. Perhaps your belief that the dye treatment would work started something that actually made it work.

I would love to know what type of dye she used. I'm getting tired of having Elroy, my pet wart, frozen.
I cannot remember the actual name of the dye. I think that it was a sulfate base? It was an red/violet metallic dye that would stain anything. My dermatologist did write a prescription for it, It came in a brown bottle about an inch and a half in diameter and about four inches tall - but that doesnít really mean anything.

I do know that things have changed in forty-five years at the pharmacy. However; I have never asked a pharmacist. Maybe I should try asking an older pharmacist if they ever remember anything like that dye?

My sister just had one plantar wart removed from her foot by a dermatologist. She described the treatment as very painful. I am grateful that I did not have to go through a similar procedure way back in the 60ís.

Sorry to hear that the freezing does not keep warts from returning. I was contemplating trying that on some of my facial warts. By the way; you know that plantarís warts are ingrown warts. I donít know if the same virus causes those warts or if it is a different virus or strain of virus?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,473,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I cannot remember the actual name of the dye. I think that it was a sulfate base? It was an red/violet metallic dye that would stain anything. My dermatologist did write a prescription for it, It came in a brown bottle about an inch and a half in diameter and about four inches tall - but that doesnít really mean anything.

I do know that things have changed in forty-five years at the pharmacy. However; I have never asked a pharmacist. Maybe I should try asking an older pharmacist if they ever remember anything like that dye?

My sister just had one plantar wart removed from her foot by a dermatologist. She described the treatment as very painful. I am grateful that I did not have to go through a similar procedure way back in the 60ís.

Sorry to hear that the freezing does not keep warts from returning. I was contemplating trying that on some of my facial warts. By the way; you know that plantarís warts are ingrown warts. I donít know if the same virus causes those warts or if it is a different virus or strain of virus?
Elroy isn't a plantar wart, I got him from playing in the dirt. So sayeth my doctor!

I have old medical books, i'll have to haul them out and see what I can find.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Elroy isn't a plantar wart, I got him from playing in the dirt. So sayeth my doctor!

I have old medical books, i'll have to haul them out and see what I can find.
Maybe Elroy is getting tired of being frozen! Good luck with your search and Elroy. Iíll be at the pharmacist in the next week. Iíll ask if they have ever heard of a prescription dye that matches my description. The only problem, I think that I will have, is that my pharmacy has no older pharmacist.

Donít play in the dirt!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,146,568 times
I work with dyes. The color would not have anything to do with it other than what is used to make the color. Different minerals and elements make the pigment for dyes and paints.
It's possible that the color of the dye has no connection to what the active ingredient is.
Sulphur is used for skin conditions, mostly in the barn, but hey, it works for some things on humans too.
So you could be right about that. But it would seem to me that a skin breakout is a symptom of a virus, and not the virus itself...especially when we are talking warts. Once you have been exposed, it's always going to be there. I got rid of warts, but they eventually come back some place else.
So it's one thing to get rid of a symptom, but not the cause.

You have gotten me really curious about this dye....since I work with them (as an artist) I want to know more about what the dye is made of.
I have an old old medical book too....not sure where it is, but if I find it, I'm going to look that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal