U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Just outside of Portland
4,828 posts, read 6,472,383 times
Reputation: 5058

Advertisements

I would think I stand more of a chance of an encounter in the dense forests of Northern Oregon and Southern Washington than in eastern Oklahoma.

But what do I know?

I guess if you haven't seen a big ole Okie Bigfoot, you aint seen nuttin', honey!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
5,768 posts, read 4,535,385 times
Reputation: 5044
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The poster has a real skewed view of what remote and large desolate areas are. He thinks 5000 acres is a lot, and he thinks SE Oklahoma is a remote area; SE OK is dotted with farm fields and what is not farming, is popular hunting areas or hiking areas or just where people live and work; it is hardly an area absent of human activity, present or past. A person would not even be able to get lost in SE OK if they tried.
First, let me thank everyone for keeping this thread alive.
Kind of rare for me, most of my opinions are either too extreme that I get either banned or too dull perhaps that I bore people

I worked in Oklahoma for several months many years ago. I can see where the imaginations of people can see and hear things. We once camped in the ouachita (sp?) mountain area in Arkansas not far from Oklahoma. 4 days in a primitive camp site, miles from any parking area.....yes, there were some strange sounds at night but no bigfoot. And I have to say, I found the escape from civilization very welcoming.

Boxus is correct on several reports. Even though we felt isolated, our guide claimed that he could still hear cars at times. So it is with the Oklahoma Arkansas area. There is little wilderness left, and perhaps the sasquatch symbolizes that desire for wild-ness in some form. *

Also, you are correct Boxus in that we have no scientific proof of an unknown or new primate. As most of you know, in order to claim a new species, more than a report from an unknown lab needs be given. So far, no dna study from any unknown primate has been repeated in two or more independent labs, and this must be the first step before going on.

Hoaxes abound, so do urban myths. The only limit seems to be the human imagination.

Now to another point.
If this creature did exist, how long would it exist until a hunter killed one. Seriously, humans shoot each other at times with little provocation. I can imagine someone calling the game warden "Honest, I don't know what it was but it was scarin us so come get it whatever it is !"

Which brings back memories of a film which scared us as kids and sparked my interest in myths and monsters.
The Legend of Boggy Creek - Full Official Movie - Great Quality Film - YouTube

*Forward to 1:22:45 and listen to the dialogue about a desire to know "that there is still some wilderness left"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,516,548 times
Reputation: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The poster has a real skewed view of what remote and large desolate areas are. He thinks 5000 acres is a lot, and he thinks SE Oklahoma is a remote area; SE OK is dotted with farm fields and what is not farming, is popular hunting areas or hiking areas or just where people live and work; it is hardly an area absent of human activity, present or past. A person would not even be able to get lost in SE OK if they tried.

You are wrong about SE OK. Quite a bit of forest ground east of Broken Bow Reservoir. The forest doesn't stop at the stateline either.
You can very surely get lost in McCURTAIN Cty. Believe what you want it won't matter to me. As i said go look for your self.

The only thing that will be proof is a body.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
 
7,493 posts, read 10,548,699 times
Reputation: 7394
Would somebody please ask Bigfoot to come and turn over some of my coworkers in the same manner?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,516,548 times
Reputation: 4915
I was wrong about the McCurtain Cty Wilderness area. Actually 14,037 acres. Not 5000 acres.

McCurtain County, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fa...amccurtain.htm
Read how much in McCurtain Cty is forested.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM
 
18,094 posts, read 15,743,628 times
Reputation: 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I was wrong about the McCurtain Cty Wilderness area. Actually 14,037 acres. Not 5000 acres.

McCurtain County, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wildlife Management Area Profile for Ouachita - McCurtain Unit
Read how much in McCurtain Cty is forested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You are wrong about SE OK. Quite a bit of forest ground east of Broken Bow Reservoir. The forest doesn't stop at the stateline either.
You can very surely get lost in McCURTAIN Cty. Believe what you want it won't matter to me. As i said go look for your self.

The only thing that will be proof is a body.
No, not wrong at all; SE OK is not a remote area by any means, a person would have to go out of their way to get lost even in the largest area of undeveloped land, and I doubt they even could if they tried, they would have to purposely do so, be a child, or have some medical/drug issue which disorients them.

Given all the farming, hiking, hunting, that has occurred over the decades, if bigfoot existed, they would have come across proof.

Fourteen thousand acres is still not a large area at all; you definitely do not have a concept of what a remote area, let alone an area that is large enough to contain a reproductive mammal species the size of bigfoot, which would require a minimum number of species to ensure survival. If you mentioned those large, 500,000 block area interconnected with other 500,000 block areas in the PNW, sure, but 14k acres is not large on any scale to be remote, get lost in, nor contain a sustainable mammal species like bigfoot without everyone and their brother knowing.

If bigfoot is supposedly there and so easy for everyone just to wander on down and get evidence, why have not you or anyone? There are many people who would do about anything to become the "person who proved bigfoot exists".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,516,548 times
Reputation: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, not wrong at all; SE OK is not a remote area by any means, a person would have to go out of their way to get lost even in the largest area of undeveloped land, and I doubt they even could if they tried, they would have to purposely do so, be a child, or have some medical/drug issue which disorients them.

Given all the farming, hiking, hunting, that has occurred over the decades, if bigfoot existed, they would have come across proof.

Fourteen thousand acres is still not a large area at all; you definitely do not have a concept of what a remote area, let alone an area that is large enough to contain a reproductive mammal species the size of bigfoot, which would require a minimum number of species to ensure survival. If you mentioned those large, 500,000 block area interconnected with other 500,000 block areas in the PNW, sure, but 14k acres is not large on any scale to be remote, get lost in, nor contain a sustainable mammal species like bigfoot without everyone and their brother knowing.

If bigfoot is supposedly there and so easy for everyone just to wander on down and get evidence, why have not you or anyone? There are many people who would do about anything to become the "person who proved bigfoot exists".
Apparently you know nothing at all about the area.(arm chair researcher most likely) You fail to take in account the Ouchita Forest that is in OK and Arkansas. Many thousands of acres. Like i said i am not trying to convince anything at all. You want us take take your word about how much hiking you have done but you have a different set of rules you are trying to impose on me. There is a heck of a lot of forest in OK and Arkansas.Seems to me you are making up stuff to try and lok like you know what is going on. You are fooling only yourself.
No need for me to reply to a time waster.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
 
13,618 posts, read 22,245,876 times
Reputation: 24424
It might be time to agree to disagree here.

That's Mod-Speak for it's time to stop arguing, it's getting us nowhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,516,548 times
Reputation: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It might be time to agree to disagree here.

That's Mod-Speak for it's time to stop arguing, it's getting us nowhere.
I agree to disagree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
7,046 posts, read 3,524,646 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I see a black cat. What is it actually?

Just to get some perspective on the reality of the size of a forest and being able to get lost or see animals in it;

I used to frequent a patch of forest that would take the best part of a day to work though and around yet my GPS indicated only 4.5 km horizontal. Given the small meanderings around trees and all the ups and downs the actual distance would likely be double that. It's a small forest.

I have found pig diggings and even pig tracks leading from the neighbouring farm into the deep forest. The farmer told me he had been farming there for 45 years and never seen a pig. He was adamant there were no pigs in that forest, nor deer. Yet I once found deer tracks (just one or two mind you). I never saw a deer or any pigs. And I did get lost once but with the aid of my GPS all I had to do was to go uphill until I reached the edge of the forest and take the track back. Ironically I was only half an hour away from where I wanted to be when the group outvoted me! OK, so I was not lost, they were!

My point is, forests can get you lost in a blink and this was a small forest (but very hilly - which is why it was not chopped down for farmland). If there was a bigfoot in it, it would have heard me coming and stood still behind a bush while I walked past! And although most of the walk is on a hiking trail I have never once found any sign of human presence there (other than the fact that someone had been maintaining the track - no foot prints, no droppings, no nothing). Further more, the area of the forest I covered was a tiny fraction of its total area. A family of bigfoot could quite easily live in that small forest without detection. Except there would be no food for them. Oh, I did find sign of hunters having been there - a pile of dead feral goats (pest control hunters).

If anyone is interested in seeing what I am talking about, go on Google Earth and look up New Zealand, North Island, Mangapiko Valley Scenic Reserve. It's small!

Last edited by 303Guy; 11-22-2014 at 12:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top