U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM

5,645 posts, read 7,523,517 times

Advertisements

It has been my experience over the many years, dealing with the spirit world, that there is a definite reason we dream, and dream a particular dream.
My studies over a long period, have explained to me what dreams are.
They are the time, when we are sleeping, that our spirit within leaves our body, and travels to other places, and perhaps other times.
It may visit with a special friend, or group it knew in past lives, or may visit a favorite place in it's past.
Some of these dreams can be peaceful, while others may be troublesome.
All the while, as humans, we lie in deep slumber as all this takes place in the form of a dream.
More often than not, we can't remember the dream upon waking.
Some nights, we don't seem to dream at all, and during those times, it is as though we are in fact, dead.
We have no moments while sleeping,telling us we are alive.
It is as though we are dead.
Many time during sleep, we have a number of dreams, and more often than not, remain vague at best, upon awakening.
All these dreams are happening when we sleep.
The restless spirit within us desires to travel the universe in search of many things, and through it's actions, we are dreaming all of the activity.
Just before wakening, the spirit returns,and we arise to a new day, mostly forgetful of what we dreaming.
So, when you dream, you are not in control of anything in that dream, you are subconsciously there as a bystander, with no way of controlling what is happening.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM

5,875 posts, read 8,838,193 times
I once had a dream in which I was visiting my friend's deceased father in the afterlife. It was actually a really funny dream, as he took me to a big party that was in what seemed like a fancy hotel ballroom with South Beach-style bar. There were others in the dream that I recognized and didn't realized had died, but unfortunately I can't remember who they were. There were also a lot of animals outside the building. Everyone at the party was having an awesome time and I was there as an observer. I left the room when my friend's father ran into someone he hadn't seen in a long time and he was very emotional, I thought I was intruding.

It was very interesting in and of itself, but I happened to have it the night before I had to put my dog down, which was an unexpected thing. I actually believe that my friend's father (whom I was pretty close to when he was alive) set that up to help me with my dog's passing, as I was completely inconsolable but probably would have been even worse.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM

5,645 posts, read 7,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I once had a dream in which I was visiting my friend's deceased father in the afterlife. It was actually a really funny dream, as he took me to a big party that was in what seemed like a fancy hotel ballroom with South Beach-style bar. There were others in the dream that I recognized and didn't realized had died, but unfortunately I can't remember who they were. There were also a lot of animals outside the building. Everyone at the party was having an awesome time and I was there as an observer. I left the room when my friend's father ran into someone he hadn't seen in a long time and he was very emotional, I thought I was intruding.

It was very interesting in and of itself, but I happened to have it the night before I had to put my dog down, which was an unexpected thing. I actually believe that my friend's father (whom I was pretty close to when he was alive) set that up to help me with my dog's passing, as I was completely inconsolable but probably would have been even worse.
You are correct in your feeling that it was done to prepare you for the events of the next day.
You know, many people have always spoken of a guardian angel.
That guardian is the spirit that inhabits our body.
It is through the action, and thoughts of the spirit that we as humans function as we do, and along the way, the thought process of the spirit, and it's actions, are saved in memory for the elder spirits of authority to use when judging the spirit upon return to the spirit world.
Bob.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
So, when you dream, you are not in control of anything in that dream, you are subconsciously there as a bystander, with no way of controlling what is happening.
Bob.
Not totally true. Here recently, I've had a few dreams where I was totally aware of the fact that I was dreaming. I even had a dream earlier in the year where I wanted to wake myself up from my car accident that took place in the dream; and I was able to wake myself up from that dream. Most of my dreams are just as you described though (dreams in which I had no control and I was clueless to the fact that I was dreaming).

IMHO, there's more to dreams than our scientists care to admit. I've seen too many things in my dreams that defy scientifcally accepted "truth".

Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,519,341 times
I started having lucid dreams at a young age, and figured out how to get myself out of them. The first time it happened, I think I was around 6 or 7 years old, and I was having a nightmare about one of my teachers. At some point, I thought to myself "This is too weird...I must be dreaming", so in the dream, I closed my eyes really tight and willed myself to wake up, which I did.

Since then, I have learned that when you find yourself conscious of the fact that you're dreaming, if you look at your hand, for some reason you are able to hold the conscious dream-state longer and remember the details better. I've only managed to remember about the hand thing once, and that dream was one of the best I've ever had...my dad (deceased) and I were talking, and I was asking him things he wasn't allowed to answer for the most part, but he did say this:
"Everything you need to know is already inside you. You are the mirror."
My dad and I connect this way, through dreams, regularly...and now that I think about it, it's time for another visit with him!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Dreams do seem more significant than just random processes in your brain or your sub-conscious...I mean they have such structured plots, like stories, some so bizarre you'd never dream them up in your waking state in a million years. It's a common primitive belief that a dreamer's soul leaves his body during the dream, into a sort of netherworld, which may or may not be associated with the spirit world or an afterlife. Perhaps there is another realm, another dimension, one of pure thought, and dreams...Sometimes I really do feel I've entered a sort of parallel universe during a dream. I, too, am sometimes aware that I'm dreaming and can control events in the dream.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 PM

I've never had a lucid dream but would love to, that would be so interesting. I did have a semi-precognitive dream before 9/11 (I say semi because the dream was about a battleship hitting the skyscraper I was in, but for all intents and purposes the planes were turned into battleships). I also frequently have dreams that are epic quests filled with total strangers. I work from home so I attribute dreams full of people and activity partially as my brain making up for the relative isolation of working from home. But who are these people? Heh.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,849,575 times
There are many different opinions as to what dreams are and what purpose they fulfill. Just recently, I saw a video on YouTube by Don Miquel Ruiz (I think I mistakenly said Juan Miquel Ruiz in another thread) anyway - he said dreams and waking life are the same thing with different filters and parameters.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,876,216 times
I`m not sure what dreams are. Let`s be honest, noone knows what they are. We can have opnions. But noone knows, especially a lay person. Experts who study sleep, dreams, dream patterns, dream history, etc. can`t even agree. So I find it a bit amusing when some regular Joe claims to have all the answers.

My opinion , at the present, because I can certainly change my mind as I read other views or data on the subject, is dreams are just random. I think I read somewhere that we only consciously notice something like 2% of the information and stimuli our brains process over the course of a day. Think about it. Think of all of the scenery , sounds, smells, etc. that you encounter while you are driving and talking on the phone or to a passenger. So much data that you could never consciously process everything. You have to stay focused on the task at hand and don`t recognize all of the stimuli in the background. So much information enters your brain but your brain filters it to your subconscious mind while your conscious mind is dominant. Everything, every person, every sound that is in the backgorund at your job, neighborhood, restaurant, travels, etc. Your brain takes in all of that information. Then at night while the conscious mind is shut down,your subconscious mind becomes dominant. All of that information is pieced together in the brain. Your brain using it`s learned codes and memory to try and decipher the info.

That`s why a lot of dreams do not make any sense. Your conscious mind is dormant and cannot decipher the information. Our brain is a computer that has to send a lot of the information to the recyling bin or filter it out to keep from overloading. All of that cannot be just saved to memory because over time it would be too confusing to the brain when it is trying to recall what makes sense to the conscious mind. In other words, it would jumble up the memory over time and it would be hard pressed to define rightly the things the conscious mind has programmed itto remember.

If dreams were just our spirits floating around in other dimensions and spaces, then why are our physical brains active during dreaming? Our brains are not spiritual. It is a physical organ that will die. So the memories that are stored in that organ will perish with our brain.

I`m not saying we don`t have a spirit or memories aren`t somehow impressed on our spiritual nature. But dreaming is a physical thing and the physical brain is as active as if you were awake. Which means, those things and images are taking place in your brain. If it was just your spirit then your brain would be totally inactive because it is still in your body and not part of the spirit visiting other worlds.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am in no way trying to say what I believe to be 100% right. It`s just what makes the most sense to me after reading different ideas about dreams.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 PM

I think there's truth to that too - I definitely think some dreams are supernatural, but maybe others ARE just our subconcious working things out. I've had those too - I got over a bad breakup very quickly after dreaming that the guy was leading me around by a bull ring in my nose! LOL. I think it was my mind telling me...really, you're better off without him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal