Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
And the flip side of your thinking is, that spirits go where ever, and when ever there is a need.
Perhaps if this "accident" were planed by some evil spirit, it knew exactly where, and when these people would be in that cemetery.
We obviously will never know, and perhaps that is the way it is meant to be.
Bob.
Actually, my thinking is the cast majority of hauntings are residual -- like a recording of some event that plays over and over. Intelligent hauntings are very rare.

Demons or evil spirits I'm not sure about...

In this case -- my opinion is that it is an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
IDK, I'm from; 'there are no coincidences or accidents' school of thought, but I'm not always certain about that belief. Chain of events are all part of an intricate web. Many for which there are no explanations.

If spirit related activity, my quess would be its something sinister and evil.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

219 posts, read 657,916 times
My thoughts:

- The picture that all the news stations are using creeps me out. Not the best choice of photos to use, it looks like he is getting ready to shield himself from something.

- The whole thing is just so eerie. Crushed by a tombstone, damn, really makes you think about all sorts of things. I'm having a hard time picturing the accident in my head.

- Call me a weirdo, but I really want to know about the person to whom the gravestone belonged.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
My opinion of this incident is...sometimes life is just cruel.
Not having anything to go on other than what's been said in this thread, that's how I feel with this one as well. As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" -- and sometimes an accident is just an accident.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Well, what I think is weird, is that the exact same thing happened to a 4yr old girl in NC last month...

4-year-old girl killed by part of headstone | www.wsoctv.com

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Many if not most ghost researchers will tell you that cemetaries are among the least haunted places. I've taken walks at dusk or just past it in a nearby cemetary and never thought twice about it, same in the early mornings. I look at it this way, If there was one spirit that might want to cause you grief or harm( virtually impossible) there'd be at least 20 that would try to protect you.
Some cemetaries are kind of creepy. Not by being cemetaries, but by where they're located, the topography and the state of the grounds. One I've been to is on the edge of the city high on a hil visible from certain streets. I wouldn't fear ghosts there, I'd fear the living that hang around there. Another is just kind of brooding. It sits below a mountain along a river and is surrounded on two sides by dark woods. I've walked the valley and trail to the river behind it and its got a feel to it. The land does. It rubs off somewhat on the cemetary although when you get away from the woods its very park like and sunny and not bad. Another two are next to churches in the northern part of the county. One has a cemetary halfway up a rounded wooded hill. It just looks like its from an old gothic ghost story. Another is similar only smaller and more remote.
Although once when walking my dog she stopped and looked at a freshly dug grave from a distance and didn't want to go past it. I mentioned this to my brother and he said when he took her for a walk the day before she did the same thing at the same spot. And we've had some pretty well documented reports of three young boys seen playing at dusk in a cemetary on summer evenings. There are three boys from a family buried there who died in a fire about 50 years ago. I spent some time looking there for ancestors graves and , yes, I did keep looking over my shoulder.
I've heard stories that spirits may linger at their grave sites before moving on.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

8,542 posts, read 10,962,618 times
And that is the way it is.
Some spirits linger at graves sites for a specific purpose, and what that usually involves is, the death of the human body was quick, and unexpected.
The spirit was not ready to leave the body so, in returning to the grave site , in essence , it is trying to return to that body, which it can never do.
We have all heard the expression "lost souls", and this would be a prime example of that.
The spirit is in limbo.
It can't move forward until it sheds the memory of the existence it just gave up, and it can't go back to that existence.
Bob.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
I like to photograph old cemeteries and always hope something will pop up in my pictures. Never really happens, except for at Tolomato Cemetery in St. Augustine. That one just felt different too, like the air was heavier around it. I had no such impressions at another old cemetery down the street.

Here's a link about it being kind of creepy:

My St Augustine Florida Vacation Pictures - A Visit to the Tolomato Cemetery

I didn't find it creepy, just a little otherworldly. It's said to be haunted by the ghost of a young boy, among others. One awful thing that actually did happen is that poor Bishop Verot, buried there, kind of exploded out of his coffin during his own funeral because of the heat at that time.

I'll find my pics, I have some interesting ones - will make a new thread. I love old cemetaries, but do not want a tombstone falling on me (how awful about that boy)

Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Well, what I think is weird, is that the exact same thing happened to a 4yr old girl in NC last month...

4-year-old girl killed by part of headstone | www.wsoctv.com
Wow that is strange!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Whoa, how bizarre!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal