Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Many who frequent this forum know that for some time, I have been involved in the study of spirits, and the afterlife.
After reading numerous post dealing with this, and other paranormal behavior, I find there are many different opinions, as well as experiences some have had with the paranormal.
My question are:
Why do you believe, or not believe in spirits and an afterlife?
If you do not believe, how do you account for you?
Where do you go once you pass on?
Please share your views with others on this forum, as I am sure many are interested.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 PM

I will start by offering an experience I had a week ago with one of my tenants.
As everyone knows, I have firm beliefs in the spirits, and afterlife.
Last week I was out in the yard, talking with one of my tenants.
She is elderly, and still somewhat active.
If I had to say what is the predominant feature of this woman, I would have to say her belief in Jesus Christ, and love for her fellow humans.
She is probably the most outspoken person I have ever met with her devotion to her religion.
This was very evident when she filled out her application for tenancy.
After every line where she filled in the information needed on the application, she put the sign of the cross in quotation marks, an example... (here I will use the letter T to designate the sign of the cross.)
Next to her name is this name...Jane Doe "T".
Occupation... Retired "T".
This carried through for all of the application.
After moving in, she wrote me a short letter thanking me for allowing her to move in.
After each and every sentence, there was the sign of the cross between quotation marks.
She has this thing about thanking Jesus for everything, and wants to kiss, and hug everyone she meets,doing it in the name of Jesus.
Strangers do not matter, she wants to give everyone she comes in contact with, a hug in the name of Jesus.
Well, as I stated in the beginning, we were out in the yard talking, and the subject of spirits, and afterlife came up.
She flat out told me she does not believe in an afterlife, or spirits that, in her words, "This is all there is".
She constantly speaks of her destiny to be in heaven next to Jesus when she passes.
Her entire existence is built around that premiss.
I asked what form she would take when seated next to Jesus in heaven, and she replied, I'M not really sure, but i think I will look like I do now.
I continued, so you won't be a spirit, you will meet Jesus as the human you are now?
Her reply, for sure.
The next question left her somewhat bewildered.
I asked, how will your human body get from the grave to heaven?
She thought for a minute, then replied, Jesus will see that I get there.
I continued, so if I believe what you are telling me, there are no people buried in the cemeteries, they are in heaven, not in the ground.
She never did give a direct answer to that question but rather stated, some are in heaven, and some are in hell.
I walked away thinking, how can someone so devoted to Christ, and the church ,not believe in spirits, and a life after we leave this world?
What has she learned from Jesus, and the church in all these years?
Bob.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
She flat out told me she does not believe in an afterlife, or spirits that, in her words, "This is all there is".
She constantly speaks of her destiny to be in heaven next to Jesus when she passes.
Her entire existence is built around that premiss.
I asked what form she would take when seated next to Jesus in heaven, and she replied, I'M not really sure, but i think I will look like I do now.
I continued, so you won't be a spirit, you will meet Jesus as the human you are now?
Her reply, for sure.
The next question left her somewhat bewildered.
She never did give a direct answer to that question but rather stated, some are in heaven, and some are in hell.
I walked away thinking, how can someone so devoted to Christ, and the church ,not believe in spirits, and a life after we leave this world?
What has she learned from Jesus, and the church in all these years?
Bob.
If she believes she will be alive in a place called heaven and some others will be in a place called hell, isn`t that a belief in an afterlife? If she beleives in Jesus then she must read the bible. So she probably does believe in spirits or angels. The bible says God is spirit and speaks of a Holy Spirit. So if she is that devoted to Jesus that she puts a cross after everything and always speaks of Jesus, then she must believe in some type of spirits and an afterlife.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM

According to her, "this is all there is".
She flat out does not believe in an after life.
Perhaps her after life means once people die, they will never again be on the face of the earth.
In that sense she is right putting, it in the perspective that a human body, once dead, is dead,and will never be that human body again.
But, she also said she does not believe in a spirit re-incarnating.
I am puzzled by her response, seeing as where she is so devoted to her religion.
Bob.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Perhaps her after life means once people die, they will never again be on the face of the earth.
In that sense she is right putting, it in the perspective that a human body, once dead, is dead,and will never be that human body again.
I am puzzled by her response, seeing as where she is so devoted to her religion.
Bob.
That is what christians believe. They believe in an afterlife but that a spirit is only given one earth experience, no matter how short or long, to find Jesus and be saved. After that, it`s either heaven or hell where they will spend an eternity in an afterlife. However, there are christian universalist who believe you only live one earthly life but you continue in an afterlife living and growing toward God. Sort of like a spiritist but they don`t believe in reincarnation on earth.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Bob.

Sometimes terms are not used the same way by everybody.

So she definitely believes in an afterlife. It's heaven. It's an afterlife.

But she doesn't believe in reincarnation (back on this earth). So when she said she doesn't believe in an afterlife, perhaps she meant: there is no reincarnation, and life in heaven will be quite different, so there is no repetition.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
As already stated, heaven or hell would be considered an afterlife.

I believe in spirits, I believe in reincarnation as well. I have had many things happen in my life that lead me to these beliefs. I believe when we die we take a spirit form and pass on and are hopefully with God and not in hell. I believe we are all put here to learn as much as we can and reach a higher level of spirituality. We cannot reach this in one life and so we come back, many times, until we learn what it is we are to learn and then one day join God and remain with him. I believe there are spirits that get "caught" on this early plain and do not either know they are dead or do not know how to go towards the light and move on. I feel sad for these spirits as that must be a hard thing to endure day after day. I believe our loved ones keep an eye over us and know how things are going. Sometimes our loved ones try to contact us in some way. I believe we all have guardian angels as well as spiritual guides. I saw a psychic once that could tell me things about my life that no one on earth knew but myself. She told me I had a spiritual guide that was smiling and whose name is Dr. Dennis. That was 30 years ago and I still talk to Dr. Dennis to this day.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
My question are:
Why do you believe, or not believe in spirits and an afterlife? Because of my numerous, unexplainable experience, many, with multiple wittnesses.

If you do not believe, how do you account for you? NA

Where do you go once you pass on? I guess I'll find out soon enough but wonder if I'll still be me and get to use this new knowledge in relation to ME and my past questions.

Please share your views with others on this forum, as I am sure many are interested.
Bob.[/quote]

Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 AM

652 posts, read 874,190 times
Some of my favorite spiritual entities are the shadow people. They are usually called the hat man or some sort of magician wearing long overcoats with hats. I could write a book on these ghosts. Aldous Huxley investigated the paranormal for most of his life. Everything in this world revolves around structures. Few people can sense the various realms of the spirit world.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
I believe in spirits only because of personal experience. I have loads to say on this topic and numerous examples, but won't go into them now.

Being that I am in the last chapter of my life now (I'm in my mid-60s now), I know that I am wrapping up this life, and I actually do use my ability more regularly to help others now that I just retired.

I literally have clairvoyance (seeing), clairaudience (hearing), clairsentience (feeling/touch), and sometimes it is so amazing, yet evidential. My whole criteria in this field is validation. I only work with this to provide validation and confirmation -- if there is no confirmation, it is not worth it to me. So, as a result, I "think" that I get a lot of validation just because I could not in good conscience work with others if there was no "proof" or "validation" that could be proven. It is my hallmark feature.

I have also had only ONE true experience of telepathy -- and I don't mean when you think you know who is on the phone, or that so and so might come to visit. I mean, literally hearing the person's voice from another area of a building, talking and you honestly think they are calling you -- and then you discover it was literally their own thoughts about you!! That was a shock to me and only happened last year....so even in my 60s, I'm still getting "new" things. I have those hunches and stuff like we all do, often get "hints" from the "Universe" but that one really shook me as I thought it was actually happening!

Although I have the whole variety of things (yes, it does run in my family, but I am the only one who has used it to help others or has even spoken publicly about it), I still hold skepticism. I think it's important to question and to find confirmation, when possible. No, I am not famous, although I HAVE been tested by a lab for this and "passed." (for whatever it's worth as the scientific mechanisms are not that good....) People mostly learn about me through word-of-mouth.

Anyway, I have seen and heard and had phenomena and all sorts of stuff. That's why it's all so fascinating to me. Unfortunately, the down side is that I am very overly-sensitive -- in many ways. I don't like that part. But, I guess it is partly why it's so easy for me to pick up on stuff....I don't know, it just seems like a correlation to me -- maybe not.

I am looking to be more thoroughly tested and would love to have video and audio (tapes seem to not work on me) of when I with a sitter. I'm just not real mechanically/technologically advanced in that way and live alone...thus, I feel frustrated because before I leave this plane, I'd love to have more documentation.

And that's why I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal