U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM

137 posts, read 193,266 times

Advertisements

Unlike many people I cant claim that I have ever experienced anything "supernatural" myself personally; Other than strange premonitions that many people have from here to there which seem to actually happen. In recent years however I have seen twice...a phenomena that I could not explain. Both times I have seen this were in the summer months on the edge of a thunder cloud. What I saw was an incandescent looking orb about the size of a soccer ball or so, within the cloud itself. The orb moved horizontally through the cloud at a speed of what I estimate to be like 30 -40 mph for about 200 yards? or so. I know for sure I saw it and it seemed almost natural looking to me the way it moved, but never in my life had I ever seen it before or since. I searched the net for ball lightning and other weather phenomena, but ball lighting normally does not move a distance, and it and pulses more than this. This thing did not pulse. It simply appeared, moved and dissipated. I am a very scientific person and I do not over-dramatize things, I know I saw this but what the hell was it?! Has anyone else seen such a thing? Maybe some rare electrical weather phenomena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,136 times
I am no expert, but it could be what they call St Elmo's fire..

Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,956,185 times

I've never seen it but it sounds interesting.

The last thunderstorm here, there was a HUGE clap of thunder at the end of the storm.
The odd thing was, the thunder... or something... turned on my automatic garage light.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM

5,585 posts, read 802,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticMedia View Post
Unlike many people I cant claim that I have ever experienced anything "supernatural" myself personally; Other than strange premonitions that many people have from here to there which seem to actually happen. In recent years however I have seen twice...a phenomena that I could not explain. Both times I have seen this were in the summer months on the edge of a thunder cloud. What I saw was an incandescent looking orb about the size of a soccer ball or so, within the cloud itself. The orb moved horizontally through the cloud at a speed of what I estimate to be like 30 -40 mph for about 200 yards? or so. I know for sure I saw it and it seemed almost natural looking to me the way it moved, but never in my life had I ever seen it before or since. I searched the net for ball lightning and other weather phenomena, but ball lighting normally does not move a distance, and it and pulses more than this. This thing did not pulse. It simply appeared, moved and dissipated. I am a very scientific person and I do not over-dramatize things, I know I saw this but what the hell was it?! Has anyone else seen such a thing? Maybe some rare electrical weather phenomena?

I haven't seen the same sort of thing you experienced, about 9 or 10 years ago during the month of December where it is cold where I live, one evening nearing dark time we were having a thunderstorm, my daughter was using a land line phone, while she was on the phone I was looking out our big living room window at the rain, all of a sudden my other daughter & I saw this extreme large orange ball, the size of a big tractor tire light up underneath the electrical line across the road from our home, if you can visualize how high up an electrical line is, this big orange ball was underneath but not touching the line nor was it touching the ground, it was awesome, it was hoovering in mid air. It remained still for several seconds then disappeared. I've never seen one like it before this time nor have I since. Not sure, but I think it had something to do with the fact my daughter was using the land line phone during the storm & possibly too it was Winter time & cold.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM

137 posts, read 193,266 times
Hrmm Interesting, My best guess is that it was an electrical phenomena that I saw.. maybe it takes some sort of super rare condition to create it? Not sure. hope I see it again though. Now when storms brew up I usually grab my 60D hoping to film something, even if I just get cool lightning, ya never know.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,788,877 times
I've never seen orbs in a thunder storm although we sometimes have some huge thunderheads out here on the Texas South Plains in the spring and summer but I do see orbs in my living room of this old farmhouse quite often. A few have been the size of medicine balls and very bright but most are softball to golf ball size, pale and translucent. They always occur at night (mostly in the early morning hours) and they usually float randomly throughout the room sometimes stopping in place for a short time. Some have tails and some are simply round. I can only see these on a DVR screen transmitted to by a remote digital security camera I have sitting in the room. Whenever I have walked into the room while one was on the DVR screen, I could not see it with my eyes. I have switched cameras and yet they have appeared on three different cameras. They seem to appear whenever they "want" to. They do not set off the motion detector sensing in the cameras although they do show up in videos when I have recorded them. I have not seen any in the past few months but then I have sort of quit watching for them since they seem so harmless.

I'm not ready to admit these things are supernatural but so far all scientific explanations I have seen online for orbs (i.e., dust particles, moonlight/starlight reflections, etc.) seem not to fit mine. Maybe these have something to do with the bullet hole in my front door facing?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Not precisely on the topic of thunderstorms...but has anyone heard of a phenomenon known as the Green Flash? Allegedly, in the moment when the sun sets below the horizon, there's a brief flash of green light.

I can see the sun setting from my apartment, and I can only report that I've never seen the Green Flash.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM

62 posts, read 81,888 times
It's just a form of ball lightning. If there's one thing that can be said about lightning, it's unpredictable how it will behave.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've never seen orbs in a thunder storm although we sometimes have some huge thunderheads out here on the Texas South Plains in the spring and summer but I do see orbs in my living room of this old farmhouse quite often. A few have been the size of medicine balls and very bright but most are softball to golf ball size, pale and translucent. They always occur at night (mostly in the early morning hours) and they usually float randomly throughout the room sometimes stopping in place for a short time. Some have tails and some are simply round. I can only see these on a DVR screen transmitted to by a remote digital security camera I have sitting in the room. Whenever I have walked into the room while one was on the DVR screen, I could not see it with my eyes. I have switched cameras and yet they have appeared on three different cameras. They seem to appear whenever they "want" to. They do not set off the motion detector sensing in the cameras although they do show up in videos when I have recorded them. I have not seen any in the past few months but then I have sort of quit watching for them since they seem so harmless.

I'm not ready to admit these things are supernatural but so far all scientific explanations I have seen online for orbs (i.e., dust particles, moonlight/starlight reflections, etc.) seem not to fit mine. Maybe these have something to do with the bullet hole in my front door facing?
Whatever they are, it sounds like they emit light in the infared spectrum (sort of like the way you can see the IR LEDs on a Nintendo Wii sensor bar through a digital camera)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM

By the way, light orbs near the edges of thunderstorms are a form of lightning.

Ball lightning.

Ball lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

very little scientifically known about it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal