Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 PM

431 posts, read 1,212,150 times

Advertisements

Ok I think I found a place to ask this question where people won't think I am crazy ! Can recently departed loved ones communicate with us to comfort us ?????

Background : I am a christian so I certainly believe in demons but not necessarily in ghosts. (that is just my personal beliefs and I am not attacking anybody for theirs, ok ?)

1st experience: (staying with my parents in their house)

The first grandma to pass away ,11 years ago, was dad's mom. We were pretty close, saw each other at least once a week and had a special relationship because I was her only grandchild. She grew peonies in her yard every year and loved to pick bouquets of them. She loved flowers of all kinds but her peonies were amazing. She also loved shoes. She must have had 100 pairs and was always buying more. I used to play dress up with all her shoes when I was little. She never got to see my daugher because she got alzheimers and did not remember who I was then when my daughter was born, she was very ill and in the hospital. She passed away shortly after. This hurt me so much. It was her great-granddaughter after all. Well, the night after her funeral/burial I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink. For some reason I had sat my shoes I wore to the funeral on the kitchen chair. I was standing in the kitchen, drinking a glass of milk and one of my shoes "fell" off the chair. I was across the room. I heard it and turned around to see one of them in the floor. I got completely FREAKED OUT ...there was no way that shoe just "fell" off the chair. It had been sitting there all night in the middle of the chair. I ran to the bedroom jumped in bed and grabbed onto hubby. Then I giggled. I knew. It was grandma. That is how she let me know. I said "grandma I love you and I miss you and I hope, somehow, you can see your great granddaughter and you know who she is and we miss you". I was crying and then the smell came, peonies. Keep in mind this is NOVEMBER. No flowers or air fresheners or perfumes ,etc. VERY STRONG smell,too. JUST like the ones she grew. I had so much peace. I knew she was there. I knew she heard me and could see. I said out loud " you can vist me..I love you...but please don't scare me again". (she was a prankster so I can almost SEE her knocking the shoe off the chair). I smelled the peony smell off and on for a couple weeks , when I was alone with my infant daughter. Nothing scary ever happened again.

2nd experience : (my new apartment)

Three months later, my beloved grandmother (mom's mom) passed away. We were extremely close. When I was little she kept me every single day while my mom worked and then every summer break when I started school. She was a 2nd mother to me, we were that close. She always grew roses on her front porch trellises and we would pick them all the time (I can remember doing this even from my earliest memories)and make bouquets out of them in the house. Red roses were her favorite flowers and she grew the really fragrant ones and took lots of pride in them.At her funeral I had a huge bouquet of red roses put beside her casket , from me. That night, after the funeral , I was a mess. Crying in bed. Couldn't sleep. This was my 2nd grandmother within 3mos of the last passed away. All the sudden I smelled roses. There were none in my house. This was February. No candles or air fresheners...no perfumes,etc. Nothing. Yet the smell was SO SO STRONG it was HER roses. No mistake. I sat straight up in bed and said her name and that I loved her and all the sudden I was so calm. The smell lasted until I fell asleep. Well...this happened a few times over the next couple weeks. Once my infant daughter was crying for most of the day and I was exhausted with her. She was teething. I just said out loud (joking) "Grandma, what would YOU have done with ME !? I don't know what else to do !" The smell of roses came back !!! Again I was just sitting there on the couch and smelled it so strong. It brought great peace to me. Gradually the smell stopped coming around.

3rd (and final) experience : (new house)

My grandfather (dad's dad) had cancer and passed away in 2009. I was his only grandchild (besides my 2 kids) so our relationship was pretty close. I got to see him in hospice the night before he died. He couldn't talk but held his hand up for me to hold. I got to say my goodbyes and told him to tell my other grandparents how much I love and miss them if he sees them in heaven,etc. The night before his funeral I couldn't sleep. I got up and was at my dining room table in the dark, surfing the net. All the sudden this feeling came over me like somebody was watching me. Not scary, just awareness. I said "grandpa if that is you, give me a sign". THE BOOK BAG in the CHAIR ACROSS FROM ME ME FELL OFF THE CHAIR. Oh my goodness I got chills. I wasn't scared this time. I just said out loud how much I love him and we all love him and will miss him,etc. I thanked him for taking time to see me. Whew, talk about thrilling. The next 2 days went by without incident. The 3rd day we got a horrible storm. I was home alone with my 2 kids and it was really scary. The power went out. It was out for a couple hours so I went through the house flipping off light switches and I was gonna go to my mom's house because she had power. When I got to the hallway I said "I wish the power didn't go out" and when I touched the light switch for the hall light to turn it off, the hallway lights ONLY flickered like dim..bright..dim..bright..off. No other lights did anything and I had not made it to the back rooms yet. I was the only one in the hall.

Wanna know what's crazy ? My grandpa was an electrician all his life. I said "I love you grandpa, but you can't fix these lights...the power is out. You can go on now..we are ok".

Never experienced anything else since then. No more smells of roses or peonies, no more shoes falling or backbacks dropping. Nothing. I think they have moved on.

The only other thing I had was a dream. A very VIVID dream about a week after my grandpa passed. I felt like I was living this dream. My 2 grandmas and my grandpa were sitting in my grandpa's living room on his couch and they looked like they did when I was a small child...vibrant..full of life...glowing. They said "We are ok, we are so happy and we are not sick anymore. We love you , tell everybody we love them so much and tell them please DON'T BE SAD ANYMORE, we are all together and everything is fine!"

I did ! I told my whole family on both sides !!

So.....was all 3 of these incidents my imagination or real ? I am NOT crazy and like I said don't even "believe" in ghosts !!! Can this happen ? It happened to me ! Any similar experiences ????? It was amazing.

My husband kinda gave me an odd look and he won't discuss it.

Last edited by TNGal78; 07-22-2012 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: fix a date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,722,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Ok I think I found a place to ask this question where people won't think I am crazy ! Can recently departed loved ones communicate with us to comfort us ?????

Background : I am a christian so I certainly believe in demons but not necessarily in ghosts. (that is just my personal beliefs and I am not attacking anybody for theirs, ok ?)

1st experience: (staying with my parents in their house)

The first grandma to pass away ,11 years ago, was dad's mom. We were pretty close, saw each other at least once a week and had a special relationship because I was her only grandchild. She grew peonies in her yard every year and loved to pick bouquets of them. She loved flowers of all kinds but her peonies were amazing. She also loved shoes. She must have had 100 pairs and was always buying more. I used to play dress up with all her shoes when I was little. She never got to see my daugher because she got alzheimers and did not remember who I was then when my daughter was born, she was very ill and in the hospital. She passed away shortly after. This hurt me so much. It was her great-granddaughter after all. Well, the night after her funeral/burial I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink. For some reason I had sat my shoes I wore to the funeral on the kitchen chair. I was standing in the kitchen, drinking a glass of milk and one of my shoes "fell" off the chair. I was across the room. I heard it and turned around to see one of them in the floor. I got completely FREAKED OUT ...there was no way that shoe just "fell" off the chair. It had been sitting there all night in the middle of the chair. I ran to the bedroom jumped in bed and grabbed onto hubby. Then I giggled. I knew. It was grandma. That is how she let me know. I said "grandma I love you and I miss you and I hope, somehow, you can see your great granddaughter and you know who she is and we miss you". I was crying and then the smell came, peonies. Keep in mind this is NOVEMBER. No flowers or air fresheners or perfumes ,etc. VERY STRONG smell,too. JUST like the ones she grew. I had so much peace. I knew she was there. I knew she heard me and could see. I said out loud " you can vist me..I love you...but please don't scare me again". (she was a prankster so I can almost SEE her knocking the shoe off the chair). I smelled the peony smell off and on for a couple weeks , when I was alone with my infant daughter. Nothing scary ever happened again.

2nd experience : (my new apartment)

Three months later, my beloved grandmother (mom's mom) passed away. We were extremely close. When I was little she kept me every single day while my mom worked and then every summer break when I started school. She was a 2nd mother to me, we were that close. She always grew roses on her front porch trellises and we would pick them all the time (I can remember doing this even from my earliest memories)and make bouquets out of them in the house. Red roses were her favorite flowers and she grew the really fragrant ones and took lots of pride in them.At her funeral I had a huge bouquet of red roses put beside her casket , from me. That night, after the funeral , I was a mess. Crying in bed. Couldn't sleep. This was my 2nd grandmother within 3mos of the last passed away. All the sudden I smelled roses. There were none in my house. This was February. No candles or air fresheners...no perfumes,etc. Nothing. Yet the smell was SO SO STRONG it was HER roses. No mistake. I sat straight up in bed and said her name and that I loved her and all the sudden I was so calm. The smell lasted until I fell asleep. Well...this happened a few times over the next couple weeks. Once my infant daughter was crying for most of the day and I was exhausted with her. She was teething. I just said out loud (joking) "Grandma, what would YOU have done with ME !? I don't know what else to do !" The smell of roses came back !!! Again I was just sitting there on the couch and smelled it so strong. It brought great peace to me. Gradually the smell stopped coming around.

3rd (and final) experience : (new house)

My grandfather (dad's dad) had cancer and passed away in 2009. I was his only grandchild (besides my 2 kids) so our relationship was pretty close. I got to see him in hospice the night before he died. He couldn't talk but held his hand up for me to hold. I got to say my goodbyes and told him to tell my other grandparents how much I love and miss them if he sees them in heaven,etc. The night before his funeral I couldn't sleep. I got up and was at my dining room table in the dark, surfing the net. All the sudden this feeling came over me like somebody was watching me. Not scary, just awareness. I said "grandpa if that is you, give me a sign". THE BOOK BAG in the CHAIR ACROSS FROM ME ME FELL OFF THE CHAIR. Oh my goodness I got chills. I wasn't scared this time. I just said out loud how much I love him and we all love him and will miss him,etc. I thanked him for taking time to see me. Whew, talk about thrilling. The next 2 days went by without incident. The 3rd day we got a horrible storm. I was home alone with my 2 kids and it was really scary. The power went out. It was out for a couple hours so I went through the house flipping off light switches and I was gonna go to my mom's house because she had power. When I got to the hallway I said "I wish the power didn't go out" and when I touched the light switch for the hall light to turn it off, the hallway lights ONLY flickered like dim..bright..dim..bright..off. No other lights did anything and I had not made it to the back rooms yet. I was the only one in the hall.

Wanna know what's crazy ? My grandpa was an electrician all his life. I said "I love you grandpa, but you can't fix these lights...the power is out. You can go on now..we are ok".

Never experienced anything else since then. No more smells of roses or peonies, no more shoes falling or backbacks dropping. Nothing. I think they have moved on.

The only other thing I had was a dream. A very VIVID dream about a week after my grandpa passed. I felt like I was living this dream. My 2 grandmas and my grandpa were sitting in my grandpa's living room on his couch and they looked like they did when I was a small child...vibrant..full of life...glowing. They said "We are ok, we are so happy and we are not sick anymore. We love you , tell everybody we love them so much and tell them please DON'T BE SAD ANYMORE, we are all together and everything is fine!"

I did ! I told my whole family on both sides !!

So.....was all 3 of these incidents my imagination or real ? I am NOT crazy and like I said don't even "believe" in ghosts !!! Can this happen ? It happened to me ! Any similar experiences ????? It was amazing.

My husband kinda gave me an odd look and he won't discuss it.

my feeling is that you got ALL the affirmation/confirmation you will ever need to know they crossed over and are ok. You're very lucky !!! Very cool

Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM

I had never heard of this happening to anybody. At first I thought I was going crazy but it was real.

I have always been sensitive to things...kinda like ESP. I can often guess who is calling before I answer or look at the phone.

Twice I have yelled STOP THE CAR when we would have otherwise been involved in a crash that happened right before us. Once it was at 11pm at night, pitch dark, no street lights, and had we kept our speed up we would have crashed right into a black train that was illegally crossing on tracks without the bars or lights flashing. (It crosses back and forth a 4 lane between 2 sides of a factory on a long stretch of highway with no street lights out in the county. There are tons of red flashing lights and crossbars that are supposed to go off but they weren't so we couldn't even see the train but I sensed something.). I am sure that would have killed us if my then boyfriend (now husband) had not listened to me. He looked at me and said "how the heck did you do that ?!". I dunno !!

Is there a name for those 2 things that happened to me ??? (the dead relatives visiting and the ESP feelings) Were they ghosts ??? Am I sensitive to something ? (I don't know anything about this stuff!).

Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,204,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
I had never heard of this happening to anybody. At first I thought I was going crazy but it was real.

I have always been sensitive to things...kinda like ESP. I can often guess who is calling before I answer or look at the phone.

Twice I have yelled STOP THE CAR when we would have otherwise been involved in a crash that happened right before us. Once it was at 11pm at night, pitch dark, no street lights, and had we kept our speed up we would have crashed right into a black train that was illegally crossing on tracks without the bars or lights flashing. (It crosses back and forth a 4 lane between 2 sides of a factory on a long stretch of highway with no street lights out in the county. There are tons of red flashing lights and crossbars that are supposed to go off but they weren't so we couldn't even see the train but I sensed something.). I am sure that would have killed us if my then boyfriend (now husband) had not listened to me. He looked at me and said "how the heck did you do that ?!". I dunno !!

Is there a name for those 2 things that happened to me ??? (the dead relatives visiting and the ESP feelings) Were they ghosts ??? Am I sensitive to something ? (I don't know anything about this stuff!).
No Dear, you're not crazy. It sounds like you're a sensitive, embrace it, listen to that inner voice.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have these experiences.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
You're not crazy!

After my dad died, I was driving home after spending a week with mom; at one point along the road, I noticed the redbud trees at the edge of the woods were blooming. Redbuds were a private joke between my dad and me, and I said aloud: "Look, Dad, the redbuds are blooming." At that instant, I felt this tingling wave of peace and calm start at my toes, and it moved up toward my head, when I stopped crying instantly. That was my dad's way of telling me he was still with me, and I knew it right away. I wanted to experience that feeling again, but realized I didn't have to because the message was that Dad would always be there for me.

The night my husband died, sometime in the night when I was half awake/half asleep, I felt an index finger in my curled hand. I closed my hand on it, squeezed it, and then it was gone. Was he saying goodbye, or saying he was still with me? That I haven't figured out yet.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,634,304 times
Not crazy, totally real, not ghosts, and not 'kinda like ESP' it IS esp!
Consider yourself very fortunate to have these experiences.
What happened with the shoes, flowers, etc. is just the spirit of your loved ones 'energizing' the objects and emitting odors that are signs of something you will recognize.
I've have similar things happen on numerous occasions and it is so comforting and I can totally feel the love.
Let it be known that even though your loved ones are in spirit, you can still talk to them and they may even communicate back.
However, thier ability to engage within this physical realm, it is said, wanes after time of death. That the energy is most strongest for the first three days while the spirit is making that transition. BUT...from personal experience, it all depends on the connection and sensitivity and awareness. My father was psychic, and he showed me a BIG 'sign' many months after passing.

In total respect for your religious beliefs, that there are demons, and as the bible and church claims that psychic ability is of demons and the devil....I have a hard time feeling that these beautiful moments and spiritual connections to what boils down to is just pure love could be from something with an evil agenda. After all, evil would not have warned you of an accident.

I know that you would get a lecture and be sprinkled with holy water if you where to mention this elsewhere, but don't beat yourself up over it or be worried in anyway. The truth is found in the love, even if others don't see or believe it to be what it is.
Glad you have been able to come here and get some feedback and reassurance.
I'm here any time, as well as, I'm sure, are the others who have already replied.
Not everyone understands, but we do.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
What great stories, thanks for posting these! I've read that the deceased can make their presence known by somehow releasing a fragrance that was a favorite (like your roses).

A friend of mine who never believed anything like this and was very science-based said she was disturbed to suddenly start seeing her mother around her house after her mother passed away. These "encounters" went on for months. Finally, she got up the nerve to ask her siblings (all 5 of them) whether they'd noticed anything unusual after "mom" passed away, and all of them said they'd seen her "visiting" them. All these siblings live scattered all over the US, but all had seen their mother several times after her death. My friend still doesn't like to talk about it much, or expand on the topic, but it's now undeniable to her that her mother had lingered around her children for several months before finally crossing over.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Thanks !

I don't think it was demons at all . It was pure love feeling and totally amazing experience. Even if the shoe thing did scare me ! LOL I laughed about it afterwards because I could just imagine grandma saying to herself "shoes...yep she will get the connection.....thud....OOOPS I scared her !".

You are right, my church would get out the holy water.

I asked my mom if anything happened at her house after my grandpa passed in 2009 and told her about my experience. They were his main caretakers when he had cancer and really close with him. She said she had all his bills layed out on her dining room table and she was sitting there looking at them (about a week after he passed) and one "fell" off the table and landed on the floor. Strange because no wind, no fans, etc. It was his final bill for oxygen service and he had always talked about how he couldn't wait to get that oxygen off, he hated wearing it. Right as she placed it on the table and said "is that you ?" she heard a thud in the hall closet. She went to look and the folding stadium chair they always brought for him to sit in at car shows (he had a Ford Model A that he showed everywhere) had fallen over in the closet. She said "oh we love you so much and miss you !"

*chills*

So she totally believed me that what I experienced was real. We just have never known what to call it. She can do the whole esp thing sometimes,too. She will call out of the blue and ask if I am ok and I will be upset or crying over something or maybe sick,etc. She will say "well I just felt like something was wrong".

Also when I took pictures of the inside of grandpas house right after he died there are many "orbs" on them. I know orbs are VERY controversial but I asked several times as I was snapping pictures "if you are here let me know somehow" because I felt him there SO STRONG it was like I could have touched him. I said "I love you so much and I have to take these pictures for the estate sale, this just about kills me grandpa". One picture there is a bright orb hovering in his chair/recliner he always sat in. The other one my 3 year old was sitting on the stairs and the orb is right on top of his little head (grandpa always told him to be careful on those steps). My mom was so amazed/freaked out.

I feel blessed now. In my heart of hearts I don't think it was evil and they are gone now. I don't provoke them or try to summons them or anything like that because for my beliefs I think that might stir up trouble. BUT ....it helped me let go. Sometimes when I visit their graves I can feel the presence but I don't really know if that's what it is or the fact that cemetaries just freak me out though ! LOL !

Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,529,952 times
Thanks for sharing your stories!
I've had similar experiences! The thought of death not being the end provides solace for those who are grieving over the loss of loved ones.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM

You're welcome !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal