U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

51,828 posts, read 29,911,348 times

Advertisements

There was a case of NDE that was shown on a local television station about a year ago. The girl was only 5 at the time and she was in a car accident that led to her near death. She is a teen-ager now, and they showed her on TV last year telling people about her NDE and she recalled being in this most peaceful and beautiful state of being, and in the presence of the Lord. As many mentioned here, she heard a voice tell her that it wasn't her time yet and to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,790,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There are hundreds of documented cases of people who have experienced this and they all said pretty much the same thing, it's pretty hard to dispute that isn't it?
There are similar "documented" experiences with abductions to UFOs. No evidence though- and they are limited to our society that is focused on UFOs, therefore it is likely that cultural bias influenced natural phenomenum. A very plausible explanation for NDEs is that people in our culture who have been raised to believe in an afterlife have similar dreams/hallucinations when they experience a diminished flow of blood to the brain. Even if one were to assume there is an afterlife, I find it laughable that god/gods/angels lack the ability to prevent almost dead people from "passing over" only to be told to go back b/c it is not their time.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM

51,828 posts, read 29,911,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
There are similar "documented" experiences with abductions to UFOs. No evidence though- and they are limited to our society that is focused on UFOs, therefore it is likely that cultural bias influenced natural phenomenum. A very plausible explanation for NDEs is that people in our culture who have been raised to believe in an afterlife have similar dreams/hallucinations when they experience a diminished flow of blood to the brain. Even if one were to assume there is an afterlife, I find it laughable that god/gods/angels lack the ability to prevent almost dead people from "passing over" only to be told to go back b/c it is not their time.
There are also documented cases of people who were athiests and had NDE's and they said that it was the most horrible experience they've ever felt and some even sought to change their perspective on God.

I know this thread is not for preaching the Gospel to anybody, but have you ever thought about - what if... there's some truth to these near-death experience accounts? When your time comes, and see everything that's told in these NDE's, but you're also faced with the possibility of eternal torment of God's wrath - That's one of those situations where you might not have a second chance at life, like some of those who have had near death experiences.

Just something to think about.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
There are also documented cases of people who were athiests and had NDE's and they said that it was the most horrible experience they've ever felt and some even sought to change their perspective on God.

I know this thread is not for preaching the Gospel to anybody, but have you ever thought about - what if... there's some truth to these near-death experience accounts? When your time comes and you're faced with the possibility of eternal torment of God's wrath - That's one of those situations where you might not have a second chance at life, like some of those who have had near death experiences.

Just something to think about.
If I, or any one else, who similarly lives an honest life, helps people when able, raises a family, is faithful, etc. is subject to the "eternal torment" of God's wrath, then I welcome the torment- I would rather be tortured eternally than spend one second with a monster that tortures people eternally. I not only reject the possibility of such a god, I reject such a god if they actually exist. I have thought about it, thank you, and I'm not interested in placating a sadistic dictator simply to satisfy my own selfish wishes. All that said, getting back to the topic at hand, these "cases" are hardly "documented" in any meaningful way.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM

320 posts, read 882,095 times
Again to each his own....these people know what they went through...you can't possibly understand it from their perspective because you didn't go through it yourself. So until you have a NEAR death experience...don't judge the people that did. People come on here to tell their stories and some select number of people ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE THE ANSWERS TO EVERYTHING. NEWS FLASH: we were not meant to know everything. To the people that have experienced a near death experience, thank you so much for sharing these awesome stories ! and for those of you who don't have an open mind about it, DON"T POST your opinion of what you think they went through cause YOU WEREN"T THERE...THANKS
so please stop trying to play doctor and tell them what they saw, cause they know what they saw and heard.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
Again to each his own....these people know what they went through...you can't possibly understand it from their perspective because you didn't go through it yourself. So until you have a NEAR death experience...don't judge the people that did. People come on here to tell their stories and some select number of people ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE THE ANSWERS TO EVERYTHING. NEWS FLASH: we were not meant to know everything. To the people that have experienced a near death experience, thank you so much for sharing these awesome stories ! and for those of you who don't have an open mind about it, DON"T POST your opinion of what you think they went through cause YOU WEREN"T THERE...THANKS
so please stop trying to play doctor and tell them what they saw, cause they know what they saw and heard.
I'm not playing doctor, merely stating that there are plausible medical explanations for what happened and that merely b/c one perceives an event in their mind does not make it real.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
I'm sorry, but you can't tell people not to post their opinions... and whether or not posters have an "open mind" is rather subjective, don't you think?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
Quote:
There are hundreds of documented cases of people who have experienced this and they all said pretty much the same thing, it's pretty hard to dispute that isn't it?
Actually, I think that's pretty easy to explain... one explanation is the brain function near death, which I don't know enough about to elaborate on. The other explanation is simply that people hear "you see a white light, etc.", and already have that in their subconscious. Since the day I could understand subjects like this, that's the only description that's been pounded into my head... so if I were near death, it's highly possible I'd fabricate that sort of "vision" from memory. Kinda like when you watch a movie before bedtime, and then have a related dream. I also like Jake's comparison of UFO sightings, like why do we think they're green (or gray) with big eyes? They must exist if we ALL have that same mental image, right? Anyway, I don't know if life exists after death, and I agree this is a fascinating topic - but nothing is easily proven either way, so I remain a skeptic.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, I think that's pretty easy to explain... one explanation is the brain function near death, which I don't know enough about to elaborate on. The other explanation is simply that people hear "you see a white light, etc.", and already have that in their subconscious. Since the day I could understand subjects like this, that's the only description that's been pounded into my head... so if I were near death, it's highly possible I'd fabricate that sort of "vision" from memory. Kinda like when you watch a movie before bedtime, and then have a related dream. I also like Jake's comparison of UFO sightings, like why do we think they're green (or gray) with big eyes? They must exist if we ALL have that same mental image, right? Anyway, I don't know if life exists after death, and I agree this is a fascinating topic - but nothing is easily proven either way, so I remain a skeptic.
Hey gizmo, as projections of one's own mind, hallucinations cannot contain anything not already in the mind (this is concluded from psychology 101). How do you explain the things seen by NDE patients that saw things they could not have possibly known about ?
On a more personal note, why do you remain a skeptic if there's no absolute proof that NDEs do not exist? Do you find the evidence more compelling on the skeptic side? I am interested learning, that's all. I admit we can't know for sure if NDEs are real, but you got to admit that there are some very strong cases that show NDEs are plausible. I lean toward the NDEs being more plausible when the cases are very evidential (e.g. NDE accoutns written down immediately after the NDE, confirmation by doctors, flat-line brain wave readouts, etc). For example, one such case talks about a woman who had an NDE and was able to reveal things on top of a hospital roof (tennis shoe with big toe hole, color of shoe, etc) which was then immeidatley verified by a nurse that actually took the climb and found the show on the roof. Things like that. There are lots of cases like this. If you seek, ye shall find.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 PM

320 posts, read 882,095 times
okay yes i understand what you are saying. i meant to have an open mind on what the people that went through are posting.....i dont like it when someone tells a person what they saw, and then they argue that theu didn't infact hear that or see that...if a person saw a UFO then they saw a UFO, if a person claims they had a near death eexperience and is kind enough to share it, then they had a near death experience. if he believed he saw God , Allah, or buhda then in his or her eyes he saw it. it wasn;t meant to be mean to anybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal