Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times

Advertisements

I think it possibly did. I think that Atlantis along with many of the other mystical lost nations (Lemuria, Mu, etc) were part of some worldwide civilization that existed many thousands of years ago. What I think happened was that this civilization was messing around with some sort of experimental technology and it backfired and turned the civilization upside down. I also think that many of the world religions might be part of the evidence for an ancient civilization; many of their core beliefs are very similar to each other, for example (a great flood is present in many world religions; given that the Bermuda Triangle is the most well known ocean anomaly I suspect that the Bermuda Triangle might have been the result of some crazy experiment gone bad and it caused some sort of massive tidal wave that wiped out a bunch of stuff).

Do you think it existed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I think it possibly did. I think that Atlantis along with many of the other mystical lost nations (Lemuria, Mu, etc) were part of some worldwide civilization that existed many thousands of years ago. What I think happened was that this civilization was messing around with some sort of experimental technology and it backfired and turned the civilization upside down. I also think that many of the world religions might be part of the evidence for an ancient civilization; many of their core beliefs are very similar to each other, for example (a great flood is present in many world religions; given that the Bermuda Triangle is the most well known ocean anomaly I suspect that the Bermuda Triangle might have been the result of some crazy experiment gone bad and it caused some sort of massive tidal wave that wiped out a bunch of stuff).

Do you think it existed?
Glad some new topics here on this part of the forum. I was going to post "The Mystery of the stagnant unexplained mysteries on C-D" as a new thread!

I think an advanced civilization (for it's time) very likely existed, And a natural disaster destroyed them. There are fascinating theories on this that are a great read even though some of them are bizarre. Like ancient time-machines and a per-industrial war fought with anti-matter/Nuclear weapons for example. The core part is not hard to believe: Ancient people-Maybe a lost ancestor of the human species that were brilliant and ages ahead of their time building thier cities. There are many OOPs. (Out of place artifacts) around the world independent of the Atlantis theory that were found and do not fit the time period. The Delhi Iron pillar for example is one.

Brilliant ancient scientists? Help from "visitors" as well? We will likely never know.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
I believe that Atlantis existed. And it's quite possible that we have found Atlantis but don't realize it, or it is so buried, we will never find it.
I learned about Atlantis when I was really young. My mother had a book about it (which lead me to the Mayan calendar studies because that was also in the book....a book about Atlantis specifically) Supposedly some of the survivors ended up in Meso America.
Lemuria, (which is the same as Mu) is supposedly the motherland and Atlantis came later.
As the (one) myth goes, both flooded at the same time. In the south part of the Pacific in the Tonga islands is a place called Mu'a. I find that to be quite interesting.
One thought is as mentioned, playing with technology. Another thought is a global catastrophe, perhaps polar shift?
Another story that explains things involves other myths.
'The gods' messed up after arriving here. They had mated with humans and the world was full of humans, human-god hybrids and just those few gods. As we have been told from the bible, 'god' wanted to clear the earth of the sinful.
Now the godS, Zues- god of earth ruled Lemuria and Poseidon ruled over the water, and Atlantis.
Zues and Poseidon made an agreement to 'destroy' the world with a flood, Zues and Poseidon would have to work their powers together. But only the gods were aware of the plan. However, Noah was the demi-god son of Poseidon and he told Noah to build the ark.
Well that pissed off Zues and a family fued followed.
While the flood took out all the people, it was the fight after the flood that destroyed both Atlantis and Mu.

James Churchward was one of the first to write about Mu in modern times. While his books have been criticized, I wonder who is behind an attempt to discredit him. Either way, the book is rather interesting and does accurately point out some valid questions.
I'm no linguist so I cannot verify, but the book beaks down the Greek alphabet. The names of the letters have a word meaning and when those meanings are listed in order it tells a story of a people's homeland being shook, on fire and destroyed.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
I am not sure. I actually took a class on Atlantis: Fact or Fiction, and had to drop out after I had gotten quite far into the course because the information was so confusing . . . lots of sources, lots of detail, lots of speculations . . .

I do believe ancient civilizations existed, but have no idea about specifics.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Considering the level of technology some of our ancient civilizations possessed, I would have to say yes.

What happened to them? One can only speculate.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:35 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
There are ancient underwater structures that are believed to be man made submerged in the Caribbean. It is possible there were ancient cities there that either sunk into the sea for whatever reason (perhaps complete erosion of the land they were on?), or that they were built at a time of lower sea level than we have today and were simply submerged when the sea rose. Either way interesting stuff.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Unless there are new formations found in the caribbean, those formations are naturally occurring. That is is you are speaking of the 'road' along the ocean floor known as Bimini wall or road.
However- off the coast of Japan are large steps and squared off structures. They look much like the structures in Meso America.
Square, pyrimid shaped temples.
Ancient underwater cities being found that are 10,000 years old
People in the Philipeans have a legend that points to their ancestors being from Mu.
I know I keep focusing on Lemuria, but the way I feel about it you can't talk about Atlantis without talking about Mu.
I know it's my personal thing and I know why. As mentioned before, I learned about Atlantis at an early age and was totally fascinated by it. As I got older and learned more about geology, I started thinking and wondering and hoping that if there was an Atlantis in the Atlantic, why not something similar in the Pacific? My own personal fantasy mostly due to the fact that 25% of my heritage comes from the people living on islands in the pacific.
When I did finally learn about Lemuria all I could say was 'I knew it!'

Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
I believe that Timaeus was recounting stories to Plato he had heard from earlier story tellers concerning the Minoan civilization.

Also modern linguists now say that the original verbiage actually means inside the Pillars of Hercules, not out them. and the Pillars of Hercules are widely accepted to be the Rock of Gibraltar...

What's left of the island of Crete after the eruption of the volcano Thera.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
I don't think Atlantis itself was real, but I DO think there were advanced civilizations thousands of years before archaeologist believe civilization began that are now forgotten.

Tiahuanaco and especially Puma Punku in Bolivia could be much older than it is currently dated; Puma Punku is especially interesting to me because of the incredibly exact stonework done there. I've been there and it left a big impression on me.

Yonaguni near Okinawa looks just like a stone quarry and has been submerged for 10,000 years. There 10,000+ year old ruins in Syria and Turkey too.

Who knows what civilizations have come and gone... people have been essentially "human" for over 200,000 years so it's silly to assume nobody accomplished anything more complex than stone arrowheads and cave painting for the first 190,000...

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I was watching a documentary on an archeological find and dig of an ancient city and they had to cease with their exploration due to a dam being built and therefore it would flood the city and their work.

There are many, many, many ancient cities which are now underwater. Anything is possible.

Ancient Cities Lost to the Seas | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

Ancient Civilizations: Underwater Ruins of Ancient Civilizations?

Underwater city in the Carribean near Cuba

The Underwater City of the last Egyptian

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal