U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 PM

726 posts, read 1,086,873 times

Advertisements

My parents bought a hotel that was haunted. It didn't take long for the tell tail signs. I kind of think that's why "she", my mother, was attracted to the place ( she clamed to be a witch) and she was that and more. She took many of them with her when they were forced to move because bankrupcy some 10 years later.
I am not really interested in reliving the events as they transpired, however, from my diary I could write a small book at the very least.
Those energies exsist. I'd advice most to leave them where they are and live where U are. There's a reason for the vail to be drawn. Whatever vortex that realm is in is unlikely to be affected by "your" intensions. It's a field/plane that does not meet up with our own.
Not fearfully, but carefully, I suggest, you avoid it. Unless it is your lifes mission and U being of the strongest EGO type and mental illness is not a fear....Or family traite. Leave it. There is nothing to be gained by going there.
Good Luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,671,967 times
Yep. No problem here. I don't believe in ghosts, don't believe in haunted houses, and don't believe in the paranormal. The human mind is far more powerful than we give it credit for and will seek to establish whatever it can in a previously conceived framework. If a house is deemed "haunted" by local myth or by popular opinion and someone does believe in such things only to move into the place, then any noise, creak, or drafty spot in the house could be established as evidence. The brain has no problem filling in "blanks" to meet that previously conceived framework.

There has never been good evidence backed by rigorous scientific methodology to support the notion of ghosts or hauntings. The best thing people offer are usually blurry pictures of overexposed snapshots they've taken or they experience a pareidolia with something similar.

Case in point:

One night my wife was at work and I was cruising around Netflix. I came across some movie (When a Stranger Calls - I think that was the title) about some guy who stalks this woman while she's babysitting for this rich couple. I liked it. It was dramatic enough to get me involved and it was just creepy enough to set your mind wandering. The weather in the movie, of course, was one of those really windy nights with flashes of lightning. It just so happened that the weather at my house that night was very similar which helped with the ambiance.

In the middle of the movie, after a particularly dramatic scene, I got up to get some water (or was it beer?) and I walked by the front door. When I did I saw a man standing at my front door looking in to the house. My dogs saw him too and they barked and growled like they were getting ready to attack. I nearly had a heart attack. Then, I slowly breathed a sigh of relief.

What had happened was it was so windy that night, it must have knocked over my neighbor's trash can. A large black trash bag scattered through the wind and ended up plastering itself on my front door. Because I was just walking by the door at the right moment (with the scene of the movie fresh in my mind), my brain filled in the pattern. "Creepy, unusual thing at the front door - attach that to the dramatic emotions from the movie, same weather as the movie, dogs are barking because the garbage bag does have some human characteristics, - must be a bad guy."

My point here is that I had a preconceived notion of something fresh in my mind. My brain found the opportunity to fill that in. Evolutionarily, this was probably a leftover from our bygone days in the African safari. Those early humans who "saw" the lion in the field probably fared better than those who didn't. Even if a lion was only there, 50% of the time, it still behooved us to play it safe. Thus, the brain that can composite images from vague concepts is better suited for survival.

Remember: The lack of an explanation does not default to ghosts unless you want it to. Even if you think you've examined all possible explanations for this occurrence there is still a chance you remembered it incorrectly (neuroscience has increasingly shown human memory to be highly flawed) and one still has to establish that ghosts actually do exist. Merely making the assumption they exist allows one to fill in the gaps with anything strange or odd and deign it the product of paranormal activity.

I'd gladly walk into any haunted house and, if the price was right and I was looking for a home, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I'd buy a house where someone was murdered (unless it was in a particularly bad neighborhood - which is often the case). In fact, I'd be more inclined to worrying about the construction of the home than anything. How is the plumbing, the wood, etc...??

Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,952,923 times
When I came into my house to look at it, it just *felt* welcoming. It felt as if it wanted me there, or something in it. After I moved in, the modem was connected into the side room. The spirt/whatever it is in that room didn't like the modem. It would quit working and I'd find all the plugs pulled out. Its just me and the four-footed so....

The modem got moved and it loves the fourfooted ones and its very happy. And one of my cats died a few months ago from a miscarraige, in that room. I think its so serene since she's still there with the spirit, and they keep each other company since now it just feels happy to be there where before you just wanted out.

So... yes, if its this sort. No if people are going to put you on a tour and definately no to something with echos of a civil war prison.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM

659 posts, read 888,149 times
no such thing as a haunted house. I think so many of us watch these ridiculous ghost hunting shows and convinced it's real and that there are spirits just hanging out in homes, old hospitals and prisons. I even started to believe that but then I sobered up and realized there is no such thing.

I do understand being creeped out by past events that may have happened in a home etc... for example if a bunch of people shot themselves in the head in your living room 20 years ago, it might be hrd to shake that image everytime you wlk by that room. But I don't believe in ghosts no matter how many stories I hear or even what the TV entertainers/ghost hunters try and make us believe.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 AM

10,569 posts, read 11,517,275 times
Sure- I would buy a haunted house...With in days the place would be cleared out of any bothersome entities...Only those who are strong believers would have a problem...I myself simply do not believe in such forces...and belief is what keeps them "alive" - My older brother's first house has the ghost of a woman who would wander through the length of his home...He was always one to believe in such things...and of course I have no doubt that there was a ghost...In my world they do not exist-- I could sleep in a grave yard and not be bothered...Believe generates and empowers those of the other world...Christ explained that you are not supposed to wander into the realm of the dead- that you are to stay in this world- If you practice that - you will not have the disruption of ghosts.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM

3,733 posts, read 6,963,873 times
Many people will never believe until they have their own experience.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,866,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Yes, very very true.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM

10,569 posts, read 11,517,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
It's not that I believe or not believe...I just don't need the dead in my life...They are best left alone and life is for living not for peering into an after world that has nothing to do with this life or world- It is a waste of time and lowers the quality of your life to be fascinated with this stuff...I have had such experience...and then moved on- Death will come soon enough- why bother with the traces of it in the here and now...The here after means just that--------------after- not now.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM

35,104 posts, read 44,366,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's not that I believe or not believe...I just don't need the dead in my life...They are best left alone and life is for living not for peering into an after world that has nothing to do with this life or world- It is a waste of time and lowers the quality of your life to be fascinated with this stuff...I have had such experience...and then moved on- Death will come soon enough- why bother with the traces of it in the here and now...The here after means just that--------------after- not now.

There are those of us who are not "fascinated" with it as part of our lives and who do not waste our lives being fascinated. It actually is PART of our daily lives. Whatever your belief is that is what it is but we have our own and we appreciate it very much when you voice your opinion but please do not bash us or tell us that we are simply "fascinated and wasting our time", okay? Thank you in advance and I wish you all that you deserve in your present and future.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM

659 posts, read 888,149 times
My grandmother swore cows could talk. It's amazing what the mind can make us believe.

The earth is a gazillion years old, people have died all over this planet, including the spot we are sitting at right this moment. People die, animals die, plants and trees die. Death is part of life, it means the end. I think many people are afrid of death and thats where ghosts come in. We want to believe there is more afterwards and that we are able to hang around and watch others live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal