U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,818,037 times

Advertisements

No.

Years ago when I was a teenager my parents were kicking around the idea of buying a bigger house. So a lot of our Sundays were spent going in and out of homes for sale - some brand new, some still under construction and some used. I particularly remember one day of looking at a number of homes and walking into one where I just didn't feel comfortable. I wasn't scared or even moved to say anything about it though. The four of us just listened to the realtor, took a tour and moved on. Moments later back in our car my mom says, "I wasn't comfortable with that house, felt ghostly." I agreed, making a similar comment. My brother and dad were indifferent and didn't confirm nor deny having felt anything in particular.

There's no way I could ever feel at home, with the feeling of being watched or being unwelcome hanging over me ALL the time. And even if they are friendly, I wouldn't care for it at all. I wouldn't like the idea of someone watching me while I'm on the throne or being tender with my wife. So I really have to question all you types that would seek that out as to what the attraction is... Doesn't seem desirable to me at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,881,489 times
I have a good friend in Helena Montana where I lived for 14 years.
He owns a funeral home that is in a very old building used for that purpose since it was built.

At the time I was studying mortuary science and sat in on and then assisted in many embalmings.

Not all funeral homes are haunted but this one was steeped in energy.
I couldn't wait to be there again and assist with the body prep if for nothing more than to bath in the energy that the building was emitting.

Sometimes while working there both my friend and I would become dizzy and nauseated while being in other areas besides the prep rooms.

We would step outside for a few minutes then would go back inside to resume our work.

He told me of times that he saw movement out of the corner of his eye or that prep instruments like scalpels and trokars would end up being placed back into drawers when they were laid out ready for use on a body when he stepped out of a prep room.

When I go back to visit family I have asked him if we can spend the night inside the funeral home armed with some night vision cameras and digital voice recorders in hopes of recording our friends.

He is excited of the prospect so this should prove very exciting and very interesting.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM

11,830 posts, read 8,220,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Would you? I would based on the fact that I grew up in a haunted house in Alton IL.
Alton is listed as one of the most haunted places in the United States.

After giving this a great deal of thought I would again live in a home that was haunted so I could be near the EVP's and apparitions I grew up with.

It would make me feel warm and at home again.
Would you purchase a home because it was haunted?
It would depend on who the house was haunted by, and why.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 AM

14,545 posts, read 19,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Try doing it out on public and see what the public's reaction would be and long before someone comes to pick you up.

I think anyone who claims to have talked to an invisible person for that many years needed to be evaluated, not told they were talking to a ghost. Seems like the parent was to blame for putting that thought into their kids head instead of getting them professional help.
There are a LOT of other things assocated with these illnesses which just hearing the voice of a ghost would not involve. Please don't bandy these terms around so loosely. Many people do not mention the problems until they have to since nobody wants a label stuck on their forehead.

If a child tells about the voices they hear and they don't do all the other things which indicate there is something deeply wrong, then they 1) have a good imagination 2) Enjoy fantasy 3) maybe there really are things in the house they hear. If you are not sensitive to spirits, a room would feel empty. If you are it would not be. Children don't yet know that they should hide their sensitivies or someone will say they need to be filled up with pills to make it go away.

Note that the adults heard the same. Likely they didn't see it as imaginary.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM

3,733 posts, read 6,986,069 times
Ming never commented on the story I posted earlier in this thread. I find that interesting. Were several different people living in the same house at different times all having the same exact hallucinations??? I find that answer much more difficult to believe than the answer of them all seeing the same spirit.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM

407 posts, read 746,977 times
Quote:
no such thing as a haunted house. I think so many of us watch these ridiculous ghost hunting shows and convinced it's real and that there are spirits just hanging out in homes, old hospitals and prisons. I even started to believe that but then I sobered up and realized there is no such thing.
I agree with you 110%

And with all due respect, people who expect to see ghosts or what-not, I have to say it's all in your mind. They go into these places expecting to see a ghost and allow their imagination to get the best of them.

Now I freely and openly admit that I enjoy the 'Ghost Hunter' shows they show on Travel Channel, and enjoy them immensely. But I watch them for entertainment value... not face value

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM

35,103 posts, read 44,596,359 times
Quote:
Try doing it out on public and see what the public's reaction would be and long before someone comes to pick you up.

I think anyone who claims to have talked to an invisible person for that many years needed to be evaluated, not told they were talking to a ghost. Seems like the parent was to blame for putting that thought into their kids head instead of getting them professional help.

Maybe it was just the "shadow people" they were seeing/feeling/hearing, just a thought.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM

659 posts, read 892,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There are a LOT of other things assocated with these illnesses which just hearing the voice of a ghost would not involve. Please don't bandy these terms around so loosely. Many people do not mention the problems until they have to since nobody wants a label stuck on their forehead.

If a child tells about the voices they hear and they don't do all the other things which indicate there is something deeply wrong, then they 1) have a good imagination 2) Enjoy fantasy 3) maybe there really are things in the house they hear. If you are not sensitive to spirits, a room would feel empty. If you are it would not be. Children don't yet know that they should hide their sensitivies or someone will say they need to be filled up with pills to make it go away.

Note that the adults heard the same. Likely they didn't see it as imaginary.
Power of suggestion perhaps? A child hears someone talk about hearing voices so they do the same. People who are crazy don't know it nor can be convinced. It's EVERYONE else that's crazy or doesn't understand.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM

659 posts, read 892,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I agree with you 110%

And with all due respect, people who expect to see ghosts or what-not, I have to say it's all in your mind. They go into these places expecting to see a ghost and allow their imagination to get the best of them.

Now I freely and openly admit that I enjoy the 'Ghost Hunter' shows they show on Travel Channel, and enjoy them immensely. But I watch them for entertainment value... not face value

I watch those shows too. Don't you love it when Zak from ghost adventures get possessed by little old women? lol He gets possessed every 3 episodes. My husband usually will leave the room when I watch those shows but they are so fun.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

419 posts, read 422,655 times
No, I wouldn't buy a house that was haunted. In fact, that's the reason we have never bought an old house, the odds of something residual there is higher, so both homes we've owned were new construction. (Yes, I know, they could be tied to the land, I just feel better.) The house we've lived in now for over 20 years is, blessedly, totally free of any activity.

And yes, I grew up in a haunted house, on a totally haunted farm. Never, ever wanted that kind of trauma to my psyche ever again. For those of you who don't believe in that stuff, good for you. I'm so glad that you've never experienced it. Wish I could be in your camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal