U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,309 posts, read 3,864,223 times
Reputation: 5326

Advertisements

Would you? I would based on the fact that I grew up in a haunted house in Alton IL.
Alton is listed as one of the most haunted places in the United States.

After giving this a great deal of thought I would again live in a home that was haunted so I could be near the EVP's and apparitions I grew up with.

It would make me feel warm and at home again.
Would you purchase a home because it was haunted?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
 
35,104 posts, read 44,332,539 times
Reputation: 62297
I love Alton and we are starting to look for property in that area to move back home. Spirits do not bother me a bit but I am a Spirit Medium so I am used to them, it is bodies that creep me out. The shorter answer is yes I would purchase a home I liked if it had spirits around but if I did not like the home itself I would not purchase it just because it has spriits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,811 posts, read 26,107,029 times
Reputation: 56022
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Would you? I would based on the fact that I grew up in a haunted house in Alton IL.
Alton is listed as one of the most haunted places in the United States.

After giving this a great deal of thought I would again live in a home that was haunted so I could be near the EVP's and apparitions I grew up with.

It would make me feel warm and at home again.
Would you purchase a home because it was haunted?

Great thread! And an interesting question. As for myself it would depend. I really do not like to live around negativity, so if the house was the site of a violent murder or a tragic suicide - NO. Those places frequently are the venue for nasty paranormal activity. I would pass on that.

However, a historic older home with charm and history and some friendly spirits would not be a deal breaker. And it might be interesting! As long as it was not wildly famous.

FOR EXAMPLE:

I would also not want to live in an infamous house that draws visitors and gawkers, such as the Amityville Horror House for practical reasons. Teenagers, Satanists, crazy people, tourists - EVERYONE DRIVES by that house! I will admit that while living in NY , yours truly drove past that place on several occasions.

Once we were entertaining some people from Eastern Europe and the woman was a horror movie enthusiast. She was looking through my DVDs and noticed "The Amityville Horror". She asked if it was near where we lived at the time and I told her "about 20 minutes drive". She implored me to take her there which was not all that hard but she was disappointed because the current owners changed the style of the windows to throw people off! "How dare he do that!" She raged. And this is a woman from the Ukraine with a PhD in Engineering of all things! Your house is never really your own when it's that famous. We took the requisite ride to Amityville and she took a huge amount of pictures, all the while joking that she was going to knock on the door and reprimand the new owners for taking away the "scary windows".

I would not want people constantly slow driving by my home, taking pictures with their cell phones, camping out on Halloween or any of that.

So not a famous one or a negative one. No. Historic low profile? Perhaps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,811 posts, read 26,107,029 times
Reputation: 56022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I love Alton and we are starting to look for property in that area to move back home. Spirits do not bother me a bit but I am a Spirit Medium so I am used to them, it is bodies that creep me out. The shorter answer is yes I would purchase a home I liked if it had spirits around but if I did not like the home itself I would not purchase it just because it has spriits.
What is Alton? Is it a haunted town?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,309 posts, read 3,864,223 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What is Alton? Is it a haunted town?

Alton is a Mississippi river city located approx 20 miles north/northeast of St.Louis Mo.
It is widely regarded as an extreme hot spot of paranormal activity and one of the most haunted places in the United States.

One of the most haunted locations is the Mc Pike Mansion.

I can see your point about the negative energy being a non seller Sheena.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,422,482 times
Reputation: 14042
I wouldn't purchase a home because it was haunted... but I wouldn't let a haunted reputation dissuade me if all the more tangible issues surround the purchase of a home fell in line.

I can honestly say I'm used to spookyness. I'm working on 7 years in a haunted house now and have no plans to leave. There is no (real) haunted house in the world that could send me screaming out into the street in my undies... and yes, that's a challenge to the spooks. I'm past fear of the unknown.

But I do worry for my family as they aren't quite as stoic and crazy.

Sheena makes a good point though... it would be VERY annoying to live in a place that regularly attracts gawkers and weird people, not to mention potentially dangerous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,811 posts, read 26,107,029 times
Reputation: 56022
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Alton is a Mississippi river city located approx 20 miles north/northeast of St.Louis Mo.
It is widely regarded as an extreme hot spot of paranormal activity and one of the most haunted places in the United States.

One of the most haunted locations is the Mc Pike Mansion.

I can see your point about the negative energy being a non seller Sheena.
Really! Something new under the sun! What sort of paranormal stuff takes place there?

Now I'll need to add Alton MS to my list of haunted destinations.

What happens there? What do people think causes it to be a paranormal hot spot?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
23 posts, read 45,165 times
Reputation: 16
It would depend on the house. If the house was otherwise awesome and wasn't the scene of violence or tragedy, I'd probably buy it. Then again, I'm something of a skeptic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,309 posts, read 3,864,223 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really! Something new under the sun! What sort of paranormal stuff takes place there?

Now I'll need to add Alton MS to my list of haunted destinations.

What happens there? What do people think causes it to be a paranormal hot spot?
Sheena, it's IL not MS.

This quote is from Wikipedia : """ The city has been labeled "The most haunted city in America" by paranormal enthusiasts, due to its claimed haunted hot spots, such as McPike Mansion and other structures. Most were built on foundations of stone taken from the former Civil War prison after it was abandoned. Confederate prisoners had suffered severe overcrowding, and many died during a smallpox epidemic. The city holds regular "ghost tours" and has been visited by television crews hoping to film proof of the paranormal. """" End of quote. Alton, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Sheena, it appears that most of the hauntings are caused by rock taken from the former Civil War prison.
Lots of horrible deaths took place there.

The foundation of the house I grew up in was made with rock from this prison.

I highly suggest a visit sometime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: The Jewel of the Inland Empire
48 posts, read 164,400 times
Reputation: 62
Excellent question!

To which I answer with a big resounding. "AhhellNO!" I...am nothing short of a big 'fraidy wuss. I get creeped out reading scary novels when I'm home alone (although I keep doing it), scary movies make me cringe (but I still watch them), and I am always, ALWAYS, the person that the big, tall, serial killer guy follows at any walk-through haunted attraction. They smell my fear. And the only time my limited imagination decides to work itself into a frenzy is when it decides that every shadow, every noise, and every movement is caused by a spirit.

Now my husband on the other hand, oh yeah. He totally would...were he not married to me. As much fascination he has with the paranormal (and as much experience he has, having been able to sense things and somehow just know what took place at certain locations), he will not bring his scaredy-cat wife into a house that would creep her out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top